What if Nebraska has TWO games canceled this year?

knapplc

Similarly: We played Pacific University in 94 and 95, for what I assume were relatively big paychecks at the time. After 1995, Pacific shut down their football program altogether due to debt. I'm sure they knew it was coming but wanted every penny they could get before closing the doors. 

Shutting down the whole university would be a doozy, and also sad considering Bethune Cookman is HBCU. But they wouldn't dare due it until their accounts receivable department gets that check from Nebraska.

3 hours ago, Blackshirt316 said:

How the heck do you justify building a dorm costing $300M with only 4,000 total students?

Actually, the math isn't as bad as it looks on the surface (though it's not good, either):

• $306 million averaged over 40 years is only $7.65m/year.
  • Assuming 25% of the student body uses the dorms (read: 1,000 students for the Iowa and Texass alum among us)
  • Assuming students pay $700/mo. for room/board
  • Assuming the dorms are in use for nine months out of the year (August through May)

You're looking at $6.3m/year just from room use alone. 

Now, they shouldn't have had that high of a break-even point to begin with, and 40 years is two lifetimes anymore in residency building at Universities and colleges. It honestly looks like someone was aiming a bit too high when they conceived these plans, and no one wanted to remind BCU that they're in a Republican state (read: little to no state funding/assistance) and that the contemporary importance of Black Colleges is fading (see the points @mrandyk already covered). 

Still, sad to see such a historic institution having these issues. Wonder if there are initiatives to preserve the unique history of these institutions somewhere?

15 hours ago, mrandyk said:

1. They wouldn't close in the middle of the semester

2. This game would be short-term revenue to help keep the doors open.

The whole SWAC is in horrible financial standing. Does anyone remember the Grambling football expose a few years back? Consider that these are a bunch of schools that existed because African Americans couldn't go to the actual state universities. Without that unique area of need they are effectively regional state colleges that are even lower on the totem pole than the previously established regional state colleges (for white students). It's a sad situation given how much heritage and history there is to these institutions.

Side note: I visited Bethune-Cookman in college on my internship. Their football stadium had to be in the lowest tier of the FCS. It's honestly kind of embarrassing that Nebraska invited them to Lincoln, even for an emergency makeup game.

I agree, I saw a bit of Mississippi Valley State in Itta Bena, MS as much as I could as they have a guard shack at the entrance.  They are also in need of a money infusion as there were pretty sad looking buildings on campus.  The future of many HBCUs is murky in MEAC, SWAC, and other leagues.

18 hours ago, Blackshirt316 said:

How the heck do you justify building a dorm costing $300M with only 4,000 total students?

When I was at UNO I had a good friend elected to the unv student senate or what ever. They where debating the now built parking garages and they said would cost 17k-25k a parking spot. I was like wait whut?

On 10/16/2018 at 6:47 PM, Dogs In A Pile said:

Could very well mean an 0-10 season if that were to happen. I agree that the payday would seem to be a stroke of good fortune for them but who knows if they can stay afloat that long.

Yeah but it's 0-11 though because B-C is a replacement for Akron.  So technically, it would only be one game lost due to cancellation.

• Plus1 1