Mavric

OT Jimmy Fritzsche [Nebraska - Signed LOI]

HuskerBoard Predictor  

60 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Player: Jimmy Fritzsche

Hometown: Greenville, South Carolina

School: Greenville

Position: Tight End, Offensive Tackle

Height: 6-7

Weight: 250

40 Time

Offers: Connecticut, Nebraska, Purdue

Visits

O8n7o.png

Twitter

247 Composite: #150 OT; .8265; :star :star :star 

Rivals:star :star :star 
247: #152 OT; :star :star :star 
ESPN: 

Hudl

Athletic enough to play tight end, with a frame to play oline? Sounds about like what we need. If we can close on Benhart and keep Bland for more immediate help, this offensive line class would certainly be a win. Lynn, Anderson, and an athletic kid like this as down the road help would be reason for more optimism on the offensive line.

I am certainly not someone who knows a lot about offensive line film but one thing to love about this kid is while he's obviously not the most strong kid, he is able to stay in front of the pass rusher in protection. Had a variety of moves put on him and he was able to mirror them all pretty well. Granted it's a HUDL highlight so it's positive moments, but you see a lot of kids with a heavier frame not be able to move like this he can. 

11 hours ago, Mavric said:

Frost and Austin visited tonight.  UConn also scheduled to visit.

Visiting Syracuse this weekend and Lincoln December 15

lets go Huskies. 

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, TonyStalloni said:

Weird that he has no offers from a SC school.

Anderson didn't have any offers from his state schools either I believe. We need depth bad at OT. We have one true OT on roster IMO. Benhart is massive for us because it allows us to get guys like this to develop. Him and Anderson have the frame, just need the weight.

Edit: disregard, Anderson had a few. 

7 minutes ago, Ziebol said:

Anderson didn't have any offers from his state schools either I believe. We need depth bad at OT. We have one true OT on roster IMO. Benhart is massive for us because it allows us to get guys like this to develop. Him and Anderson have the frame, just need the weight.

Edit: disregard, Anderson had a few. 

This comes back to the question about cant we find guys closer to home who need to be developed?

I am not against guys like Jimmy but sometimes it feels we take shots on guys who are pretty far away.

• Plus1 1

6 minutes ago, Minnesota_husker said:

This comes back to the question about cant we find guys closer to home who need to be developed?

I am not against guys like Jimmy but sometimes it feels we take shots on guys who are pretty far away.

I've often wondered this too.  We have offered walk on spots to several Nebraska Offensive Line kids.  Not one of them is worthy of a scholarship over a kid from South Carolina who is clearly a development project?

• Plus1 1

2 minutes ago, StPaulHusker said:

I've often wondered this too.  We have offered walk on spots to several Nebraska Offensive Line kids.  Not one of them is worthy of a scholarship over a kid from South Carolina who is clearly a development project?

Maybe, and this is a BIG maybe, the staff knows more than us posters from Huskerboard.

• Plus1 5

2 minutes ago, StPaulHusker said:

My thought isnt even just Nebraska kids because I think you can save a scholly on a lot of those kids because they want to play for NU and will walk on.

But more the midwest. Find a kid who is a preferred walk on to wisconsin or Iowa and offer him a scholarship. For the weather/style of play I want some fat midwestern kids who we can turn the fat into muscle but who also understand B1G football.

Obviously the staff knows WAY more than me but always curious that you have to go to the coasts to find a developmental project who might get homesick or not truly understand B1G football or the Nebraska tradition. 

• Plus1 1

1 minute ago, StPaulHusker said:

There's no doubt he's a project, but he also has 5 D1 offers.  Who around here fits that bill? It seems like we have the best of both worlds with PWO offers to kids like this: 

https://247sports.com/Recruitment/Tristan-Roper-120256/RecruitInterests/ 

https://n.rivals.com/content/prospects/2019/noah-stafursky-205541

http://l.hudl.com/profile/3446371/Riley-Moses

https://247sports.com/Player/Matt-Huser-46058976/

• Plus1 1

2 minutes ago, theknife said:

There's no doubt he's a project, but he also has 5 D1 offers.  Who around here fits that bill? It seems like we have the best of both worlds with PWO offers to kids like this: 

https://247sports.com/Recruitment/Tristan-Roper-120256/RecruitInterests/ 

https://n.rivals.com/content/prospects/2019/noah-stafursky-205541

http://l.hudl.com/profile/3446371/Riley-Moses

https://247sports.com/Player/Matt-Huser-46058976/

Despite the lack of offers, I'd be willing to bet there is a Nebraska kid that is about to walk on that will be ready to play on the Husker OL before this player is.  That's not necessarily a knock on this kid.  Just wondering why we have to look to South Carolina and recruit against App St and UConn for a player like this.

Cue people getting mad at me because I question the coaches on recruiting in 3......2......1....

• Plus1 1

I’m gonna go out on a limb and say the coaches probably think this guy is a better athlete than the guys in the 500 mile radius they’re not offering scholarships to.

Body type is one thing, athleticism is another. I’ve also seen no reason not to trust their judgement when they go after a few players who don’t have a ton of offers.

• Plus1 2
  • Upvote 1

I don't disagree, it's good to get some nearby projects and I think they're more likely overall to contribute. Aren't 3 of those guys committed as walk ons? They're willing to join the the team and work for a scholarship, a kid from SC isn't going to come halfway across the country without one. This way we get both.

There's also a difference between a project that could turn into a great tackle and a project who can only play Guard. Fritzche is athletic enough to be a great Tackle - obviously that's not guaranteed, but it's a possibility. Nothing against the walk-on commits, but who was the last walk-on Tackle who contributed in a big way? We've churned out some really good Centers and Guards, not any Tackles that I can recall.

• Plus1 1

1 hour ago, Husker in WI said:

I don't disagree, it's good to get some nearby projects and I think they're more likely overall to contribute. Aren't 3 of those guys committed as walk ons? They're willing to join the the team and work for a scholarship, a kid from SC isn't going to come halfway across the country without one. This way we get both.

There's also a difference between a project that could turn into a great tackle and a project who can only play Guard. Fritzche is athletic enough to be a great Tackle - obviously that's not guaranteed, but it's a possibility. Nothing against the walk-on commits, but who was the last walk-on Tackle who contributed in a big way? We've churned out some really good Centers and Guards, not any Tackles that I can recall.

Yeah, his film looks fine to me. He's big and uses that size well, with good enough feet to reach to linebackers with his feet and which is rare at the high school level. He plays a little high, but that is almost everybody in high school (and many in college). I'm not saying that he's a physical freak like Baker Steinkuhler running 40 yards downfield as a lead blocker at 290 lbs, but he is certainly more mobile than a lot of other guys we've gone after over the years at his size.

To sum it up, I like it. He has the chance to really contribute.

4 minutes ago, SouthLincoln Husker said:

I'm sure there were some walkons during the Osbourn era, but they earned scholarships if they were on the 2 deep.  Don't know if they still do that as we have less schollies available.

Treu was around during the era of scholarship limitations.

Was pretty impressed that Frost and Austin showed up at his house last night.  He knew Austin was coming but not Frost.

He's now 6-7.  Dad is 6-8 and played at Purdue.  He thinks he's probably going to grow a bit taller yet.

Visiting Syracuse this weekend.  No offer and #Cav.  OV to UConn next weekend.  Lincoln December 15.

• Plus1 2

31 minutes ago, TherealTomOsborne said:

I'm going for it!

:boxLooking to snag a Big Bulldozer out of the 609!!:box

-Cav

This is great.  Those tweets were like grandpa pulling your ear at thanksgiving.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Red Five said:

Wisconsin has had a ton of success with linemen that feature a "z" in their last name.  If we can't beat them, join them.

We should start offering every Polish kid who is over 6’3

• Plus1 1

18 minutes ago, ADS said:

We should start offering every Polish kid who is over 6’3

Can't go wrong getting kids powered by kielbasa, perogies, and kolaches.

• Plus1 3
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

On 11/29/2018 at 10:27 AM, TheGainfulHusker said:

I'll be that guy... The coaches know more than you!

Considering the lack of major offers, Frost sees something dozens of other major coaches are missing or he's right and they're all wrong.

Which is more probable?

• Plus1 1

38 minutes ago, Dr. Strangelove said:

Considering the lack of major offers, Frost sees something dozens of other major coaches are missing or he's right and they're all wrong.

Which is more probable?

We appear to be looking for certain traits, athleticism is one of them. I also think we are undervaluing what Duval and Ellis can offer for input when the staff shows them a picture of a kid. This young man looks like a project in terms of putting on proper weight etc. 

Offensive lineman Jimmy Fritzsche of Greenville visited Clemson for the N.C. Stategame  and the Tigers like him as a potential offer at offensive tackle. He has offers from Nebraska and Purdue among others.

https://www.postandcourier.com/sports/qb-ryan-hilinski-attends-south-carolina-tennessee-game-puts-rumors/article_fa0ab06c-db86-11e8-92db-27b00333c0db.html

• Plus1 1

8 hours ago, Hedley Lamarr said:

We appear to be looking for certain traits, athleticism is one of them. I also think we are undervaluing what Duval and Ellis can offer for input when the staff shows them a picture of a kid. This young man looks like a project in terms of putting on proper weight etc. 

I guess that's the hope, and you make a good point.

I don't think Nebraska's path to prominence is taking players of this caliber.

• Plus1 1

54 minutes ago, Dr. Strangelove said:

I guess that's the hope, and you make a good point.

I don't think Nebraska's path to prominence is taking players of this caliber.

If we think we can develop him into a starter in a couple years we have to start somewhere. Would I prefer to have a line made up of top 247 players only? Yes, we have to develop and build and wont be signing 20 4 stars a year consistently 

• Plus1 1

4 minutes ago, Hedley Lamarr said:

If we think we can develop him into a starter in a couple years we have to start somewhere. Would I prefer to have a line made up of top 247 players only? Yes, we have to develop and build and wont be signing 20 4 stars a year consistently 

I mean, it'd be nice to get guys with a composite rating at least. 

• Plus1 1

26 minutes ago, Hedley Lamarr said:

Rivals lists him as a 5.5 3 star FWIW offers from Cincy, Purdue and us and then a bunch of lower level schools. 

Fair enough, Chris Walker or Will Farniok range I guess.

7 minutes ago, husker_fan_from_sweden said:

https://247sports.com/Player/Eric-Fisher-31097/high-school-50625/

Yet somehow 2 star guys can become #1 overall picks.

https://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2015/6/22/8743525/nfl-two-star-recruits

I mean you can make a decent NFL roster with 2 stars. Doesn't mean it's the norm though.

Husk CB from Schaefer.

Not everyone jump at once to tell me why CB’s are dumb.