OT Jimmy Fritzsche [Nebraska - Signed LOI]

Mavric

HuskerBoard Predictor  

60 members have voted

1. 1. To which school will Fritzsche commit?

This poll is closed to new votes

1 hour ago, B.B. Hemingway said:

I want to preface this by saying that I know the coaches know what they're doing, and know more than me, etc.....

But, how many "projects" are we going to take on the OL line in this class?

Who are the projects?  Offensive line isn’t a position that usually gets instant starters.  Usually the player needs to go through a year or two of conditioning and weights to see the field. 

Anderson seems to be a very formittable player.  He seems to fit the mold of a redshirt sophomore player.   Lynn is the #3 player in Colorado and also fits that exact same mold.  Benhart is our highest ranked tackle in years.  Bland could be an instant fit as a great guard. They just moved jurgens to center and could be a huge athletic relief. There are also multiple players in this class that could play either side.    

I don’t view 3 stars as projects, and frankly some of these players could be fantastic for us. 

• Plus1 3

2 hours ago, Huskinator said:

Who are the projects?  Offensive line isn’t a position that usually gets instant starters.  Usually the player needs to go through a year or two of conditioning and weights to see the field. 

Anderson seems to be a very formittable player.  He seems to fit the mold of a redshirt sophomore player.   Lynn is the #3 player in Colorado and also fits that exact same mold.  Benhart is our highest ranked tackle in years.  Bland could be an instant fit as a great guard. They just moved jurgens to center and could be a huge athletic relief. There are also multiple players in this class that could play either side.    

I don’t view 3 stars as projects, and frankly some of these players could be fantastic for us. 

Good Lord, this is why I prefaced it fellas! 

Anytime a guy comes in as a tackle weighing 250 or less, that's a project.... Especially at 6'7".... So as Warrior said, it appears to be two (This guy and Anderson, if this guy commits)....

And I wasn't complaining. Just making an observation.

I’m just happy we are getting tackles. And hopefully have some depth within the next couple years. The place where Nebraska struggles with in state kids are the tackle position. For whatever reason there aren’t a lot of 6”6 6”7 kids who can play the position. We have a boat load of 6”2 6”3 who can play inside and who will play inside. 

• Plus1 1
5 hours ago, B.B. Hemingway said:

I want to preface this by saying that I know the coaches know what they're doing, and know more than me, etc.....

But, how many "projects" are we going to take on the OL line in this class?

I agree. A big issue for us this season was talent along the lines. Outside of Bland and Benhart I'd like to add at least one more comparable player.

We may get a surprise with a walk on or a project player and they may build the depth which is definitely needed but if we want to make a jump to contender it starts with the talented bigs.

I just don’t see small OLinemen as projects if they have the frame for the weight. The reason being, as others have mentioned, true freshman linemen don’t normally play anyways. I suppose it can be called a project, but it’s time they were already going to be spending not playing in games.

Eventually at Nebraska, I don’t expect redshirt freshmen or sophomore linemen to be playing a lot either, so bringing in more mobile/athletic guys with good frames for a lineman should not be an issue.

• Plus1 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Fire 1

3 minutes ago, Red Five said:

I would much rather bring in a guy similar to Anderson that needs to add a 30-50 lbs than a guy Jaylin Barnett who's body needs a complete rebuild.

Or just get a more kids like Benhart whose body is pretty much ready.

The issue with linemen that come in with that body.... are they going to be able to maintain?   I like the idea of the Nebraska staff monitoring and building those 30-50 lbs.  and making sure it’s the right weight.  I’m not saying benhart doesn’t have the right weight, and sky is the limit on what he could still acheive.  I do think that even benhart will take a year or two before he’s on the field so to me there’s nothing wrong with taking a kid who needs to add weight.   You just don’t see tackles starting early often. 

5 hours ago, Moiraine said:

I just don’t see small OLinemen as projects if they have the frame for the weight. The reason being, as others have mentioned, true freshman linemen don’t normally play anyways. I suppose it can be called a project, but it’s time they were already going to be spending not playing in games.

Eventually at Nebraska, I don’t expect redshirt freshmen or sophomore linemen to be playing a lot either, so bringing in more mobile/athletic guys with good frames for a lineman should not be an issue.

This x 1000

I guess to me this feels like the perfect year to take projects. Next year we'll have two juniors with starting experience and then Benhart is likely to contribute early. There has to be at least one other guy on the roster the staff likes. So, why not take a couple projects and if they pan out in two years great and if not you've likely already recruited someone better. 

4 hours ago, WyoHusker56 said:

I guess to me this feels like the perfect year to take projects. Next year we'll have two juniors with starting experience and then Anderson is likely to contribute early. There has to be at least one other guy on the roster the staff likes. So, why not take a couple projects and if they pan out in two years great and if not you've likely already recruited someone better. 

No he isn't. He's redshirting according to 247.

I'm not opposed to taking projects. Some guys are late bloomers and most likely will move better. I'm definitely tired of seeing guys fire out of their stance with two left feet but if we are gonna make a jump to contend on the national level it starts up front. Personally id rather see a few more players that talent evaluators have identified as an elite player. Playing in a spread is gonna help disguise some weak spots but that's one area you cant hide once we take that next step to compete for the conference or on the national level. Look at those Oregon teams during the Chip Kelly era.

2018 1ST ROUND PICKS

Quenton Nelson , OL Notre Dame 4 Stars 61 Overall (2014)

Billy Price , OL Ohio State 4 Stars 211Overall (2013)

Isaiah Wynn , OL Georgia 4 Stars 110 Overall  (2014)

Frank Ragnow , OL Arkansas 4 Stars 324 Overall (2014)

Kolton Miller , OL UCLA 3 Stars 371 Overall (2014)

34 minutes ago, huskerfan702 said:

I'm not opposed to taking projects. Some guys are late bloomers and most likely will move better. I'm definitely tired of seeing guys fire out of their stance with two left feet but if we are gonna make a jump to contend on the national level it starts up front. Personally id rather see a few more players that talent evaluators have identified as an elite player. Playing in a spread is gonna help disguise some weak spots but that's one area you cant hide once we take that next step to compete for the conference or on the national level. Look at those Oregon teams during the Chip Kelly era.

2018 1ST ROUND PICKS

I think Wisconsin’s model for recruiting and developing linemen is more realistic. I’d love to land tons of 4 and 5 star linemen but I don’t think it’s going to happen on a consistent basis. 

• Plus1 2
1 hour ago, huskerfan702 said:

2018 1ST ROUND PICKS

2021 1st Round Draft Picks (OL only)

Desmond Bland, OL Nebraska 4 stars 14 overall JUCO

2022 1st Round Draft Picks (OL only)

Bryce Benhart, OL Nebraska 4 stars 186 overall

2023 1st Round Draft Picks (OL only)

Turner Corcoran, OL Nebraska 4 stars 85 overall

You see where I’m going with this...

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 1
4 minutes ago, Throw Dem Bones said:

2022 1st Round Draft Picks (OL only)

Bryce Benhart, OL Nebraska 4 stars 186 overall

Desmond Bland, OL Nebraska 4 stars 14 overall JUCO

2023 1st Round Draft Picks (OL only)

Turner Corcoran, OL Nebraska 4 stars 85 overall

You see where I’m going with this...

I’m fairly certain bland will graduate in 2021....  he’s only got 2 years of eligibility.  

• Plus1 1
  • Mavric changed the title to OT Jimmy Fritzsche [Nebraska - Signed LOI]
  • Mavric pinned this topic