Would Riley Have Survived Past Season One If He Started 0-6?

Mavric

4 minutes ago, ScottyIce said:

I think it matters personally.

Ok well thats your opinion but it isn't a well thought out one in mine. What difference is 0-6 to what we were going through? Very little. Yes people would have been kicking and screaming, but they already were. Why would Moos have fired Riley midseason? Its against his MO and it wouldn't have helped the coaching search. If he knows he is hiring a new coach there is no point in firing Riley midseason for on field results no matter how bad they get. It just doesn't make sense. The sellout streak was never in jeporady so there would have been zero reason to pull the trigger.

That whole  thing of blaming the previous regime depends on just what you are blaming them for.  Are you blaming them for the (win) loss record you now have?  Or is this about your own failings now as a coaching staff?

Those two things seem mixed together.   The players that can be trained and motivated to make your system improve may not be enough to make it win. 

Old school coaches used to talk about turning anybody with a pulse into a fine football player, given enough work. 

I know this is a valid topic to discuss but I am just so tired about talking about Riley. This isnt a dig at Mavric because its valid but I would argue that Riley inherited a talented team. No, they werent guys that fit his style and they were all pretty pissed about losing BO but talent wise they were better.

Frost inherited a dumpster fire. 

To stay on topic, No Riley wouldnt have been fired but to others point I think Eichorst would have been and then starting season two Riley would have been on the hot seat to start especially with a new AD.

• Plus1 2

Yeah I think Riley could have gotten a second year.  

From an objective point of view it's easy to see Frost has botched this transition.  That doesn't mean he can't be successful long term.  I know to a lot of people used to argue that's exactly what it means.  I still disagree with that.

• Plus1 2

16 hours ago, Making Chimichangas said:

I say yes, simply because you don't fire a coach after one season.  Mike Riley got 3 seasons to show what he could do and .500 is it.

That's about as insightful as saying SF has had six full games to show what he can do and .000 is it.

When you consider a new coaches first full class of recruits for his system usually comes a season after he's hired, it isn't until year 3 his first full class is even in the system and they are only freshman with a mix of his and previous coaches guys from the previous class being sophs or redshirt frosh.  Teams don't win many games with underclassman.

• Plus1 1
50 minutes ago, Warrior said:

Frost is still an over 500 coach with an 0-6 start..  Reilly isn't over 500 and wont be for a long time even if you add his wins from his new team in Texas.. 

Edit

My apologies 

Reilly is at .504  177-174

Frost is  at .612 19-12 

SF is 2-7 all time vs Power 5 opponents .222.  MR's win percentage actually improves vs Power 5 only. 

In both cases there's a lot more context to consider.  Judging either purely by win % absent context appears to be more agenda driven than actual insight. 

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 1

15 minutes ago, LaunchCode said:

SF is 2-7 all time vs Power 5 opponents .222.  MR's win percentage actually improves vs Power 5 only. 

In both cases there's a lot more context to consider.  Judging either purely by win % absent context appears to be more agenda driven than actual insight. 

The context is their entire career.  There is no agenda in that.  When you start cherry-picking certain parts of it, that' s when someone's agenda comes out.

• Plus1 2
1 hour ago, Mavric said:

The context is their entire career.  There is no agenda in that.  When you start cherry-picking certain parts of it, that' s when someone's agenda comes out.

You can't have an agenda when comparing two entire coaching careers?  Unless you are comparing careers identical with regards to schedules, support, number of games played, poximity to talent base for recruiting, historical team results, etc....I couldn't disagree more.

Saban isn't winning multiple national titles or as many games coaching at Rutgers instead of Alabama.  I'm sorry, but there's a lot more to a coaches winning percentage than just how good a coach he is no matter how much some people would like to project that as fact on message boards.

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 2
37 minutes ago, LaunchCode said:

You can't have an agenda when comparing two entire coaching careers?  Unless you are comparing careers identical with regards to schedules, support, number of games played, poximity to talent base for recruiting, historical team results, etc....I couldn't disagree more.

And yet there you were, trying to compare two coaches who have nothing anywhere close to those similarities.  

Admitting your agenda is the first step.

• Plus1 2
1 hour ago, LaunchCode said:

Ok 2-7 at a group of five school vs power 5  MR was never at a group of 5 school to compare..