Would Riley Have Survived Past Season One If He Started 0-6?

Mavric

2 hours ago, LaunchCode said:

That's about as insightful as saying SF has had six full games to show what he can do and .000 is it.

When you consider a new coaches first full class of recruits for his system usually comes a season after he's hired, it isn't until year 3 his first full class is even in the system and they are only freshman with a mix of his and previous coaches guys from the previous class being sophs or redshirt frosh.  Teams don't win many games with underclassman.

The bolded...:facepalm: 

The rest: Mike Riley had three seasons.  In season two he managed a 9-4 mark.  If he would have maintained 9-4 or even 7-5, in year three, he would have been given a 4th year.  Instead he tanked to 4-8 and was canned.  Bottom line: he had plenty of time and failed.

No idea why you're so vigorously defending him.  He is a crappy, sub-standard coach who literally doesn't care if he loses.

• Plus1 2
31 minutes ago, Mavric said:

And yet there you were, trying to compare two coaches who have nothing anywhere close to those similarities.  

Admitting your agenda is the first step.

My agenda was simple, point out how easy it is to paint a misleading picture with stats when context is ignored.  I pointed that out clearly(I thought) in the second and third sentence.  Guess it didn't come across that way.  

1 hour ago, LaunchCode said:

SF is 2-7 all time vs Power 5 opponents .222.  MR's win percentage actually improves vs Power 5 only. 

In both cases there's a lot more context to consider.  Judging either purely by win % absent context appears to be more agenda driven than actual insight. 

16 hours ago, Nebfanatic said:

Its also one thing to start 0-6 after an abysmal 4-8 season the year before. But when the last coach got canned after a 9 win season 0-6 would have felt much, much different.

Yeah they're certainly different things, but let's be honest about how both are really bad and poor.

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1
35 minutes ago, Landlord said:

Yeah they're certainly different things, but let's be honest about how both are really bad and poor.

Both are terrible but the fact of the matter is we are reacting pretty mildly to Frost going 0-6. If this happened back in 2015 with Riley the mood would not be even close to as optimistic. There are alot of reasons for this and not all of them are justified, but it is the reality.

• Plus1 3

19 minutes ago, Nebfanatic said:

Both are terrible but the fact of the matter is we are reacting pretty mildly to Frost going 0-6. If this happened back in 2015 with Riley the mood would not be even close to as optimistic. There are alot of reasons for this and not all of them are justified, but it is the reality.

Agreed. And the mild reaction is probably disproportionate, the way that the meltdown reaction in 2015 was also maybe disproportionate? idk man, sports fans aren't really rational in general (me included). We can find ways to feel good or feel bad about pretty much anything we want to :P

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Fire 1
3 hours ago, Nebfanatic said:

Both are terrible but the fact of the matter is we are reacting pretty mildly to Frost going 0-6. If this happened back in 2015 with Riley the mood would not be even close to as optimistic.

Or if this happened this year with any other realistic coaching candidate.

• Plus1 2
4 hours ago, Nebfanatic said:

I agree and there are some on here who would have been all over Riley and his staff and are reluctant to criticize Frost as a coach as a result of their experience with Frost as a player.  I think as fans we just need to be consistent in how we praise or criticize the coaching staffs.

1 hour ago, The Dude said:

Or if this happened this year with any other realistic coaching candidate.

What if that coach had gone undefeated the year before?

I think more people would be upset than with Frost, but I think there'd still be those who were willing to give the coach a chance.

46 minutes ago, HuskerNation1 said:

I agree and there are some on here who would have been all over Riley and his staff and are reluctant to criticize Frost as a coach as a result of their experience with Frost as a player.  I think as fans we just need to be consistent in how we praise or criticize the coaching staffs.

I somewhat agree but I error on the side of giving Frost a longer leash than Riley based off of track record. I myself wasn't too hard on Riley anyway so I've been pretty consistent at least:P

7 hours ago, Nebfanatic said:

If this 0-6 had happened in 2015 the mood wouldn't be nearly as optimistic because Mike Riley was (and still is) a terrible, crappy, football coach who has no idea what it takes to win, let alone be a champion.  His lifetime .500 +/- record demstrates his inadequacies.

Here is the reality:

1. Scott Frost is a conference and national championship winning QB during his playing days here.

2. He played 7 years in the league.

3. While in the NFL he was coached and learned from: Bill Belichek, Jon Gruden, Mike Tomlin, and others.  Not to memtion being coached in college by Bill Walsh and Tom Osborne.

4. Frost took over for an 0-12 team and in two years they were 13-0.

Mike Riley NEVER had success even remotely close to that as a sub-par backup player or in 40 years of coaching. That is why Coach Frost is being given far greater latitude than Mike Riley--he's earned it.

• Plus1 4
  • Thanks 2

For those saying Frost is getting more latitude simply because of history I do think that's true to an extent. However, I think there's more of a realization among the fan base and boosters that you can't fire a guy every year and get anywhere. So, yes Riley would have taken more grief for this start than Frost has, but whoever this coach was I think was going to get some leeway to make it work. Frost just gets the most because of his history.