Would Riley Have Survived Past Season One If He Started 0-6?

Mavric

On 10/20/2018 at 7:25 AM, WyoHusker56 said:

For those saying Frost is getting more latitude simply because of history I do think that's true to an extent. However, I think there's more of a realization among the fan base and boosters that you can't fire a guy every year and get anywhere. So, yes Riley would have taken more grief for this start than Frost has, but whoever this coach was I think was going to get some leeway to make it work. Frost just gets the most because of his history. 

Simple fact is people don’t in general like admitting they are wrong and the vast majority of this fan base wanted Frost. No one wanted Riley. Even the people who warmed to the hire and eventually defended him would admit he wasn’t who they wanted during that coaching search. Riley was behind the eight ball from day 1, both With the fans and a lot of the players who felt Bo was unfairly treated. 

For my part yeah I’m fairly laid back about this disappointing season because I see positive signs. I see the potential for a devestating offense with AMart and the talent at RB and WR. I see a team that still seems to compete even tho things are in the  toilet right now. I see subtle improvements week to week. 

Inhavent been on HB this year because I was worried I would find a meltdown going on so I stayed away. I’m pleasantly surprised to see rational thought for the most part. 

And finally, we are really at the final crossroads IMO. We can’t keep the coaching carousel going anymore. For better or worse Frost will, by necessity, be given a great deal of leeway. 

• Plus1 1

The topic of this thread is absolutely important.  But we could substitute the coach's name with any of our past coaches.  Would Solich have survived 0-6?  Would Pelini have? At the end of the day, this program is a dumpster fire because we've always looked to fire the coach.  No consistency in this program.

It's Scott Frost, folks. He's the coach.  I don't care if he has three losing seasons in a row.  It doesn't matter.  We are not elite, not even close.  Frost needs a lot of time to get us out of this quagmire.  We need to place a lot of trust in this coach.  Can we do that?  Doubtful.  After Frost's second losing season (yes, I feel we will be a losing team next year), we'll see the stupidity happen again ("fire Frost, let's hire ________".) 

Give this kid time, real time -- he'll do it.

11 minutes ago, grapevine7 said:

At the end of the day, this program is a dumpster fire because we've always looked to fire the coach.

People who say the program is a dumpster fire have no perspective. It has no basis in reality. If we were to do what Riley did for several more years, then there would be a case for it. As of right now Riley could easily just be a blip in our program's history, just like Callahan. We weren't a dumpster fire when Pelini took over. We were a program that had a couple bad seasons. The same is probably true now as well. I'm betting a couple years from now we'll look back on this as a few bad seasons. Not a resurrection of a dumpster fire program.

And the times we've fired coaches were all correct except perhaps Solich (depending on his extra curricular activities).

• Plus1 1
11 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

People who say the program is a dumpster fire have no perspective. It has no basis in reality. If we were to do what Riley did for several more years, then there would be a case for it. As of right now Riley could easily just be a blip in our program's history, just like Callahan. We weren't a dumpster fire when Pelini took over. We were a program that had a couple bad seasons. The same is probably true now as well. I'm betting a couple years from now we'll look back on this as a few bad seasons. Not a resurrection of a dumpster fire program.

And the times we've fired coaches were all correct except perhaps Solich (depending on his extra curricular activities).

And this is why I think most people are taking this season in stride. Despite the terrible record, the team is still playing hard, there is obvious talent at the skill positions which is starting to flourish, and most feel confident that the coach can turn this around. When the previous coaches were let go it didn’t feel like that. Oklahoma has a pretty rough stretch as well until they found their guy in Stoops. That’s the trajectory I expect to see us on soon

• Plus1 1
20 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

The term "dumpster fire" aside, there are a lot of things Frost re-instituted....such as Husker Power, S&C and nutrition.

So I wouldn't say those that call it a "dumpster fire"have no perspective.  You are simply giving your perspective.

You are also simply giving your perspective in regard to previously fired coaches.

6 minutes ago, TheSker said:

The term "dumpster fire" aside, there are a lot of things Frost re-instituted....such as Husker Power, S&C and nutrition.

So I wouldn't say those that call it a "dumpster fire"have no perspective.  You are simply giving your perspective.

You are also simply giving your perspective in regard to previously fired coaches.

Some people confuse program with season or seasons.

We have a hell of a lot of $ to throw at our problems because we are in a great position financially year in and year out. Dumpster fire is a team that is perpetually bad. Not one that is probably in the top 35 for most wins in the past 10 years. 

The perspective people lack is on college football in general. They are comparing Nebraska now to Nebraska in ‘95.

When Frost fixes this he’ll fix our trajectory. He may be what prevents us from becoming a “dumpster fire.”

22 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

We have a hell of a lot of $ to throw at our problems because we are in a great position financially year in and year out. Dumpster fire is a team that is perpetually bad. Not one that is probably in the top 35 for most wins in the past 10 years. 

The perspective people lack is on college football in general. They are comparing Nebraska now to Nebraska in ‘95.

When Frost fixes this he’ll fix our trajectory. He may be what prevents us from becoming a “dumpster fire.”

Incorrect - I am not comparing our program to '95.  That's exactly the problem with so many who have no patience with our coaching staff.  The title to this thread is a reflection of our lack of patience.  It has exhibited itself again and again.  We need to establish consistency, we cannot fire this coach, he gets a pass for at least 3 years, I don't care if he has 3 consecutive losing seasons.

Also, I do not imply that our program has been a perpetual dumpster fire.  But it is one right now.  We have a pretty darn good QB, but that's about it.

3 hours ago, Moiraine said:

I will take the bait.

Ok I am pouring gas in a dumpster and throwing a match in... Is it a dumpster fire yet? I keep throwing trash in and throwing fuel on the  fire.  Is it a dumpster fire yet? Asking for a friend. 

This is a straw man. People who say the program declined after Osborn have no perspective if we hired Nick Saban or Les Miles with Bo as DC we would have 2 billion championships. I like you Moiraine not that it matters. 

4 hours ago, Moiraine said:

Yes it absolutely was

• Fire 1

37 minutes ago, KazLong said:

I will take the bait.

Ok I am pouring gas in a dumpster and throwing a match in... Is it a dumpster fire yet? I keep throwing trash in and throwing fuel on the  fire.  Is it a dumpster fire yet? Asking for a friend. 

This is a straw man. People who say the program declined after Osborn have no perspective if we hired Nick Saban or Les Miles with Bo as DC we would have 2 billion championships. I like you Moiraine not that it matters. 

I didn't understand what you were trying to say in any of this.

We are a better program than 85% of programs in the country and were last season as well. A "dumpster fire" program tends to not be able to afford to spend $35 million in 7 years on a coach, and tends to not be ranked #33 in the most wins for the past 10 years. And that includes this year, btw.

A couple bad seasons doesn't mean the program is a dumpster fire. It had a few bad seasons and a negative trajectory if we'd stuck with Callahan. Pelini then improved it and it plateaued better than how he found it without returning to the heights of the late 20th century. It was still FAR from a dumpster fire and still is. We are not far removed from winning a lot of games every season. Only compared to Nebraska in the 90s should anyone be able to say with a straight face we're a dumpster fire. A dumpster fire is a team that is perpetually among the worst teams in college football. Like I already said, our trajectory was definitely in that direction with Riley, and maybe it still is our gradual trajectory if Frost doesn't work out. But dumpster fire is a term UCF fans use about Nebraska to make themselves feel better about losing their coach. It has no basis in reality. Just like calling UCF of a dumpster fire when they had recently gone to the Fiesta Bowl was incorrect. They had a terrible season, they weren't a terrible program.

20 minutes ago, KazLong said:

Next on Big red news the Huskers where great before Frost!

You mentioned straw men. Here's a good one. Because no one is arguing this. We had a team that would've gotten worse and worse under Riley and at some point soon it would have done lasting damage to the program.

• Plus1 1

Riley wouldn’t have been fired but only because Eichorst wouldn’t have done it . Nothing to do with his win loss record or coaching abilities . Most of us didn’t want Riley here and would have been calling for his firing but it wouldn’t have mattered . We saw the future of our team against Minnesota and it looks pretty damn bright . It was the first win of many wins of the Frost era , and I believe this program will keep getting better . The stain that was the mike Riley era will fade to just a distant lousy memory . GBR

11 hours ago, Moiraine said:

Just to put the numbers out there:

Over the past 10 full years (2008-2017) Nebraska had a record of 85-47 and a winning percentage of .643.

That is the 22nd most wins and 24th best win percentage in the country over that span.

Teams ranked 25-28 in win percentage over that span are in order - Navy, Notre Dame, Auburn and Iowa.

Over that last 10 year span Michigan State had 93 wins (+8) Penn State had 89 wins (+4) Notre Dame had 82 wins (-3) Texas had 78 wins (-7) and Michigan had 74 wins (-11).

• Plus1 3