*** Official Minnesota Game What Did We Learn Thread ***

knapplc

25-29 is impressive, even if it is against a bad passing defense like Minn (and us).

We dug deep and didn't quit when we had absolutely zero momentum in the first bits of the second half. Proof these players are coming around and believing in themselves. I still dont like our mid (sometimes full) game lull, but I've gotten used to them by now

Eric Lee made the most important play to save us in the second half. Great effort by him

• Plus1 3

6 minutes ago, ArcticHusker said:

I learned that we are damn lucky Martinez didn’t play his senior year. If he had, there was no way we would have landed him. He is a special kind of talent that should have had his choice of any school in the country.

You are probably right, but give the coaches credit for getting him to flip to NU. He was their top choice at QB, and they went after him hard. I don’t see too many people wishing that Gebbia would have won the QB job now. 

• Plus1 1

I learned the following:

(1) Our offense has been great enough to win us many of the games we lost this year

(2) Our defense is not good enough to win us games  yet. I really think that chinander going to the booth might allow him to see the field better and make better calls. 

(3) We have NO SPECIAL TEAMS WHAT SO EVER. In fact, they are not even trying to do anything special. No great teams have ever been able to win championships without good special teams. We will not become great again until we work on having great special teams. We can sugar coat this all we want, we do not have a good special teams coach and that is plain obvious.

(4) When we only commit six penalties and get two turnovers, we win. Imagine that! If we did this in four other games, we would have easily won those games. I can easily see us 5-2 instead of 1-6. 

It is such a great feeling to win again. I feel happy for Frost and these players and hope that this is the start of something special. 

Finally, to those who post cussing and belittling other members who criticize some of the coaches, I say, get over yourselves. If we want our beloved Huskers to get back to championship form, we need to have good coaches. Frost is a good coach, chinander is not, at least not yet. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion without having others cussing at them because they stated their opinion. If you don’t like the posts, stop reading and go drink some beer.

• Plus1 5
  • Fire 1

14 minutes ago, ArcticHusker said:

I learned that we are damn lucky Martinez didn’t play his senior year. If he had, there was no way we would have landed him. He is a special kind of talent that should have had his choice of any school in the country.

Didn't he hold an offer from Alabama? I'd call that having his choice of any school in the country.

24 minutes ago, TheSker said:

I learned that while some are critical of scheme and play calling, this coaching staff keeps teaching, coaching and encouraging this team.

I'd like to go ahead and give Frost credit for making Martinez so good, so early. 

Those safe four and five yard passes to the wideouts that are key to the Frost offense don't merely pad Adrian's stats or give him confidence, they open up the running lanes for Ozigbo and Washington. And when the lanes are open for the running backs, they're really open for a quarterback with the green light to run or pass. 

Scheme and play-calling haven't really been the problem. It's been mental. Discipline and fortitude. You could see them get the yips at the end of the first half and most of the third quarter. I think the last two touchdowns --- technically not needed for the win -- were absolutely crucial in getting this team over that mental hump. 

i.e. winning = good.

• Plus1 2

32 minutes ago, 308_Husker said:

25-29 is impressive, even if it is against a bad passing defense like Minn (and us).

We dug deep and didn't quit when we had absolutely zero momentum in the first bits of the second half. Proof these players are coming around and believing in themselves. I still dont like our mid (sometimes full) game lull, but I've gotten used to them by now

Eric Lee made the most important play to save us in the second half. Great effort by him

Eric Lee.  That guy sprinted for 40-50 yards to make that tackle,  that's the effort and dedication frost wants out of his players.  

• Plus1 8

Martinez is the real deal. Barring injury, he could compete for a Heisman or three and play on Sundays. Morgan is a baller. Spielman is a star, he catches everything near him, has unbelievable quickness, and is a very smart football player. Oz is kicking butt and he and Washington are a good one-two punch. The offensive line actually played well today. When we play relatively clean football, this team is going to be fun to watch. Frost’s playcalling is really shining too, he’s putting players in positions that suit their skills and making the defense defend the whole field.

The defense is still rough. Coverage is spotty and inconsistent. Tacking still needs a lot of work. But the biggest problem on defense is the almost non-existent pass rush. We desperately need a dominant defensive lineman or three who can get to the passer. That has to be at or near the top of the priority list in recruiting.

• Plus1 1