*** Official Minnesota Game What Did We Learn Thread ***

knapplc

I really think those chimichangas you are downing are really strong. Take a break. Are you seriously comparing Ohio state’s DC with chinander? Please...Ohio state is 7-1. They had a bad game and Purdue were playing motivated. We were beat by Troy who lost to liberty. Stop defending chinander. 

Listen very carefully...I AM NOT SAYING THAT WE SHOULD FIRE CHINANDER...but he has a lot of work to prove himself. I suggested that he go to the booth and see if that will help him see the field better, which may improve his play calling. I think he deserves at least a couple of years. However, our special teams are anything but special, and something MUST BE DONE at the end of this year. If that hurts your feelings, ignore my posts and stop replaying to them because you are starting to get on my nerves.

31 minutes ago, PasstheDamnBallGuy said:

I learned that after 3 games of solid play something has clicked for Lamar Jackson. The bench is a great motivator sometimes. Just another benefit to getting more depth. 

Amazing what happens when you recognize that getting benched means you need to work harder and don't quit and transfer somewhere else... 

• Thanks 1
  • Fire 1

The defense can be pretty good when some guys can get in the backfield and hurry the play or force a bad decision. The CB's can be pretty good when they watch for the ball and make a play on it. The giant QB running the same play at will and our inability to defend the short pass over the middle are troubling. The good thing is everything else was fairly well defended and we can figure out something to fix those weaknesses.

I don't remember returning a punt but there were always three guys staring at him when he fair caught the ball, so I guess that's just the way punt returning goes. I swear we started on our 10 most of the time. When we kicked off it looked like we had some slow guys with limited mobility who just plain missed the tackle....something's still missing there. Kicking was good.

Our offense looks good enough to beat anybody and lately Martinez has been talking about getting it into the end zone....mission accomplished. Ozigbo and Washington are really getting it done. Play calling is spreading it out and involving a lot of people....and we have a bunch of studs on O.
Edit: The OLine did good today.

4 minutes ago, huskerfan74 said:

I really think those chimichangas you are downing are really strong. Take a break. Are you seriously comparing Ohio state’s DC with chinander? Please...Ohio state is 7-1. They had a bad game and Purdue were playing motivated. We were beat by Troy who lost to liberty. Stop defending chinander. 

Listen very carefully...I AM NOT SAYING THAT WE SHOULD FIRE CHINANDER...but he has a lot of work to prove himself. I suggested that he go to the booth and see if that will help him see the field better, which may improve his play calling. I think he deserves at least a couple of years. However, our special teams are anything but special, and something MUST BE DONE at the end of this year. If that hurts your feelings, ignore my posts and stop replaying to them because you are starting to get on my nerves.

I am comparing how some fans are saying that Chinander has to go because Nebraska gave up +/-450 yards of offense to Minnesota.

I am contrasting that with the fact that Purdue just put up ~550 yards and 49 points against Ohio State.  I think we all agree that from a "talent" perspective alone, Ohio State is where we want to be.  And if an offense can put up those kinds of numbers against a defense the caliber of Ohio State's, then maybe, just MAYBE there might be some absurd, ridiculous, over-the-top, we suck and need to fire the DC rhetoric going on.

Because RIGHT...that's EXACTLY what Nebraska needs right now...fire Chinander and bring in a 5th DC (with all new schemes and re-starting the learning curve) in 6 years.  :rolleyes:

That's what I'm pissed about.  The fans whose knowledge of football, especially defense, is so small, they could put it inside a Cheerio and there'd be room to spare.

My points here, and I'll gladly draw them out in crayon if you'd like: 1) The rules have been liberalized to dramatically favor the offense.  2) Pretty much every team runs some version of an up-tempo, spread offense.  And 3) Our opponents are going to move the ball and score points.

That's just the nature and reality of college football today.  Saying we need to fire our DC (after 7 games into his first season no less) because they allowed 28 points is absolutely f'ing LUDICROUS!

• Plus1 1
3 minutes ago, Making Chimichangas said:

I am comparing how some fans are saying that Chinander has to go because Nebraska gave up +/-450 yards of offense to Minnesota.

I am contrasting that with the fact that Purdue just put up ~550 yards and 49 points against Ohio State.  I think we all agree that from a "talent" perspective alone, Ohio State is where we want to be.  And if an offense can put up those kinds of numbers against a defense the caliber of Ohio State's, then maybe, just MAYBE there might be some absurd, ridiculous, over-the-top, we suck and need to fire the DC rhetoric going on.

Because RIGHT...that's EXACTLY what Nebraska needs right now...fire Chinander and bring in a 5th DC (with all new schemes and re-starting the learning curve) in 6 years.  :rolleyes:

That's what I'm pissed about.  The fans whose knowledge of football, especially defense, is so small, they could put it inside a Cheerio and there'd be room to spare.

My points here, and I'll gladly draw them out in crayon if you'd like: 1) The rules have been liberalized to dramatically favor the offense.  2) Pretty much every team runs some version of an up-tempo, spread offense.  And 3) Our opponents are going to move the ball and score points.

That's just the nature and reality of college football today.  Saying we need to fire our DC (after 7 games into his first season no less) because they allowed 28 points is absolutely f'ing LUDICROUS!

Where did they say that?

4 minutes ago, Hayseed said:

Where did they say that?

Read the game thread.  There are fans saying that Chinander isn't the answer at DC and we need someone better.

All I am saying people: let's give these coaches, specifically Chinander and the rest of the defensive coaches a couple of years before we make any judgments as to whether or not they should be replaced.

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 1

1 minute ago, Making Chimichangas said:

Read the game thread.  There are fans saying that Chinander isn't the answer at DC and we need someone better.

Ok....I must've checked in after that. Chinander don't seem the greatest right now, but nobody has been very special in that job for about 18 years.

4 minutes ago, Hayseed said:

Ok....I must've checked in after that. Chinander don't seem the greatest right now, but nobody has been very special in that job for about 18 years.

Everybody always wants one or both of the coordinators fired. It's like the backup quarterback phenomenon, new things must always be better, right? Right?

You know what we haven't had here in 20 years? Stability. Staff continuity. Maybe let's try that again for more than 6 weeks and see how it goes eh?

• Plus1 4
1 minute ago, Hayseed said:

I want to make one thing clear...I am NOT saying these coaches are above criticism.  Criticize away.  But whatever criticisms someone has, should be grounded in facts and reality.

Here is the way I look at the Neb v Minn game:

1. Nebraska punched Minnesota, knocked the Gophers down, and got up 28 points.

2. The Gophers got up, and punched back behind their #2 QB (who was a baller and made some really terrific plays for them).

3. The Huskers weathered that storm, and came back with several haymakers of their own, and finally delivered a knock-out punch.

I mean cripes, Purdue just put 49 points and ~550 yards of offense against Ohio State.  I think we're all in agreement that talent wise, Ohio State is where we want Nebraska to be.  And if an offense can put up those kinds of numbers against an excellent defense with elite talent like Ohio State's, then yeah...we're going to have games where we give up yards and points also.  That's just the nature of college football.

9 minutes ago, runningblind said:

Everybody always wants one or both of the coordinators fired. It's like the backup quarterback phenomenon, new things must always be better, right? Right?

You know what we haven't had here in 20 years? Stability. Staff continuity. Maybe let's try that again for more than 6 weeks and see how it goes eh?

The bolded...Exactly!!!!

You take your unreasonable opinions and get out.  :lol:

Yeah let's bring in a 5th DC in 6 years and start the learning curve all over again.  :facepalm:

• Fire 1

I have not called for chinander to be fired. Do I think he is doing a good job? No, and I can write that with crayons for you since you brought it up. I did suggest, however, that he might consider moving up to the booth to see if that helps him see the field better and may be help them make better choices in some calls. He deserves at least a couple of years to get the players to learn his scheme. There is no doubt about that. It does seem that Frost is not putty my too much faith in the defense and his play calling is geared towards us scoring as much as possible because he does not trust that our defense can make the stops we need them to make. THAT IS A FACT. 

While the defense is a work in progress, our special teams are a disaster and have been for a very long time now. They are not showing any signs of life. I can’t remember the last time we returned a punt for a touchdown, blocked a punt, blocked a field goal, caused a turnover. They are not even trying. Most of the time, all they do is the bare minimum not to lose the ball. EVERY good team that competes for championship has good special teams. We don’t. We need a coach that can do a much better job at getting the special teams play perform at a higher level. I do not see that improving with the current coach as he does not seem to be doing anything. Repeating the same exact thing and expecting different results is the definition of stupidity, which defines our special teams play. If you think that Jovan Dewitt is doing a good job then we are not watching the same games.

• Fire 1