WR Xavier Watts [Notre Dame - Signed LOI]

Huskerboard Predictor  

95 members have voted

1. 1. To Which School Will Watts commit?

• Nebraska
    • Iowa State
    • Minnesota
    • Wisconsin
    • Notre Dame

This poll is closed to new votes

35 minutes ago, In the Deed the Glory said:

He's an amazing kid, a born leader, friends with every type of kid and a over 4.0 GPA kid that scored super high on the ACT.

The flat earth thing is a running joke around Burke right now.

He committed to Notre Dame for the relationships and networking after college because he is aware the chances of making it pro are low and wanted to set himself up for the rest of his life.  Not because of what brand of uniform they wear.  He doesn't care about those type of things.

You guys don't know the kid.  This was a miss, no doubt about it.

Thought he was a miss at the time. Now, I am not so sure.   What WR would you replace with Watts?  Not a knock on him either, but a compliment to the kids we brought in.  

• Plus1 3

40 minutes ago, In the Deed the Glory said:

He's an amazing kid, a born leader, friends with every type of kid and a over 4.0 GPA kid that scored super high on the ACT.

He committed to Notre Dame for the relationships and networking after college because he is aware the chances of making it pro are low and wanted to set himself up for the rest of his life.  Not because of what brand of uniform they wear.  He doesn't care about those type of things.

I agree with all of this but being a Husker and staying in the state is basically like winning the job-lotto, he would be set for life.

Anyway, off to ND for him and I am sure he will enjoy it and do well.

39 minutes ago, swmohusker said:

Thought he was a miss at the time. Now, I am not so sure.   What WR would you replace with Watts?  Not a knock on him either, but a compliment to the kids we brought in.  

We landed 4 pretty badass WR's this class. I personally wouldnt take him over any of those 4. But I am not a talent evaluator.

• Plus1 4
2 hours ago, In the Deed the Glory said:

This was a miss, no doubt about it.

I wanted him to come here badly, but the fact is he made it clear from the get go he had other dreams which is fine. It wasn't a "miss" in the traditional since. The coaches went after him hard, but once a person is clear that they have other plans, at some point the coaches have to respect that or it is just harassment. Obviously they could see he was a high character kid with his eyes set on ND and they have to trust that he is doing what is best for him and support that to some degree. 

That said, he has strong ties here certainly and nobody knows what the future holds. If things don't work out for him at ND, and I truly hope they do, but the door is always open and I'd be happy to have him rep the scarlet and cream at any time if he'd want to. 

52 minutes ago, Husker03 said:

I wanted him to come here badly, but the fact is he made it clear from the get go he had other dreams which is fine. It wasn't a "miss" in the traditional since. The coaches went after him hard, but once a person is clear that they have other plans, at some point the coaches have to respect that or it is just harassment. Obviously they could see he was a high character kid with his eyes set on ND and they have to trust that he is doing what is best for him and support that to some degree. 

That said, he has strong ties here certainly and nobody knows what the future holds. If things don't work out for him at ND, and I truly hope they do, but the door is always open and I'd be happy to have him rep the scarlet and cream at any time if he'd want to. 

Crazy that someone currently extremely close to the program did something similar...chuckleshuffle

• Haha 2
4 hours ago, In the Deed the Glory said:

But is his family naturally strong?

• Haha 2

9 hours ago, In the Deed the Glory said:

Any other running jokes going around Omaha high schools we should be aware of? 

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 3
16 hours ago, gorp512 said:

Any other running jokes going around Omaha high schools we should be aware of? 

Dude, if you had any idea how ridiculously dumb these kids are these days...

Sorry I was a little defensive, I've had him in class and coached him. I'm not his dad, but if any of you ever met his father you would be blown away by his story.  It is really inspiring.

X is exactly what I wish every other top tier athlete would be like.  I do know that Betts may have more measurables and better testing numbers, but I also don't believe he will ever wear a Nebraska uniform (or any uniform above JUCO).  I hope I'm wrong.  For those that asked who I'd remove from this class to add X, it would be Betts.  From conversations had from Burke football coaches and Nebraska's football coaches, they felt the same way.

I'm glad he chose Notre Dame, not because of football reasons.  I would obviously have loved to see him at DONU.  It was the reason he made the choice and his motivation to be the best student he can be.  I'd never blame anyone for taking a scholarship to Notre Dame, Stanford, or some place like that.  You can't put a true value on what that degree would mean.

• Plus1 3
16 minutes ago, In the Deed the Glory said:

I do know that Betts may have more measurables and better testing numbers, but I also don't believe he will ever wear a Nebraska uniform (or any uniform above JUCO).  I hope I'm wrong.  

A bit unfair to the kid after he worked his a$$ off to qualify no? 

• Plus1 3
  • Fire 1