Undone

659 yards of Total Offense today - the most by the 'skers in our B1G conference play history. That doesn't just happen. It happens when:

-You don't commit a ton of offensive penalties

-Your play calling is excellent

-Your coach and offensive coordinator draw up a great game plan to exploit the other team's weaknesses

-Your offensive line plays well

-Your backs find their running lanes

-Your wide receivers/backs/tight ends bust their a**es to block (Morgan on Ozigbo's second touchdown, and anyone else yell out "Ohhhhhhh" when Washington cuts that guy down on Martinez's scramble????)

-Your quarterback throws for 86%

-Your quarterback makes great decisions

-Your quarterback runs for over 100 yards

-Your quarterback threatens the other defense to be able to chip them for a 30 yard run on any given play

See the main trends there? The combination of Frost's offensive mind & Adrian Martinez is so good. Yes, the line played well today and I want to highlight how critical that was, not just from a run blocking standpoint but also pass blocking. Ozigbo was a man possessed. The receivers caught the passes that came anywhere near their area. Morgan was a man among boys out there.

But Martinez is seriously unreal, and he was at the center of this whole win today. His lateral running blows my mind; he just casually side steps linebackers basically 100% of the time. He plants his feet to throw and his head never stops scanning the field. I can't believe how fortunate it was that we landed this kid. 

One of the biggest things I noticed with Milton at UCF was how Frost had him roll out to suck in the linebackers to open up the passing game. This play right here is seriously just too good:

MQkQ0G.gif

• Plus1 7
  • Fire 1

7 hours ago, MichiganDad3 said:

Milton in year 2 was the tremendously better than Milton in year 1. How good will Martinez be next year?

I think we are already seeing tremendous accuracy. It will only get better.

I think we will see him get stronger and be able to run through even more arm tackles as well.

• Plus1 2
57 minutes ago, ScottyIce said:

I think we will see him get stronger and be able to run through even more arm tackles as well.

I still think Martinez is still a bit hobbled by his knee injury.  I don't think he gets caught on his two long runs before his injury.  The injury isn't serious right now, but it's still keeping Martinez from getting to top speed.

• Plus1 4
  • Fire 1
56 minutes ago, ScottyIce said:

Yeah, there's that angle of his strength as a runner. And then there's the whole rolling him out thing, too. Comparing him and Milton, with Martinez being the better runner, those rollout RPOs are just going to be killer. When that instinct for when to throw it and when to run it on those plays dials in it's going to be mayhem.

Imagine how defenses are going to have to start scheming for us; how can you not dedicate a linebacker as a spy? Frost will exploit that so well.

4 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

I still think Martinez is still a bit hobbled by his knee injury.  I don't think he gets caught on his two long runs before his injury.  The injury isn't serious right now, but it's still keeping Martinez from getting to top speed.

I said the same thing yesterday. You'd have to think that's at least part of why he's still going with the hard brace. In the spring game he looked faster.

Here's to hoping it fully heals before season's end.

• Plus1 1
12 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

I thought the exact thing when watching my game recording last night.

• Plus1 1
12 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Yep. Which is incredible, because the speed he has right now is plenty good enough.

• Plus1 1

@Undone that pass play reminds me so much of the old option pass TO used to run and burn teams on.  Sure there is obviously differences, but moving the pocket like that gets safeties and LB out of their normal coverage areas and usually sucked up to stop the run.  Just watch how everyone looks like a QB run with zone blocking and then BAM!

Just like Osborne used to do it.

• Plus1 4
1 minute ago, In the Deed the Glory said:

@Undone that pass play reminds me so much of the old option pass TO used to run and burn teams on.  Sure there is obviously differences, but moving the pocket like that gets safeties and LB out of their normal coverage areas and usually sucked up to stop the run.  Just watch how everyone looks like a QB run with zone blocking and then BAM!

Just like Osborne used to do it.

The play action pass off the option fake was my favorite play that TO used to run.   I loved the option, but when the QB would go down the line a few steps, and then drop back and hit a streaking TE or Split-End for a big play, I loved it!!!

• Plus1 3