Next year addition and subtraction

29 minutes ago, Making Chimichangas said:

Your reference --------->

Me

:confucius

Sorry, perhaps showing my age, back in the early 90s baseball "superstar" Fred McGriff starred in a baseball instructional video. It was incessantly advertised on ESPN ad nauseum. 

Unnecessary sidenote: he was my best hitter on my old Super Nintendo game, Ken Griffey Jr. Presents Major League Baseball.

emanskiMCGRIFF.jpg

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, El Straino said:

Sorry, perhaps showing my age, back in the early 90s baseball "superstar" Fred McGriff starred in a baseball instructional video. It was incessantly advertised on ESPN ad nauseum. 

Unnecessary sidenote: he was my best hitter on my old Super Nintendo game, Ken Griffey Jr. Presents Major League Baseball.

emanskiMCGRIFF.jpg

Crime dog baby!!!  Go Braves.

Where were we again?  Oh yeah,  math!

• Plus1 2

:D

19 hours ago, Making Chimichangas said:

I think the OL will be better with Jurgens at OC.  I think another year of S&C will continue to develop these young players.

I know Frost is high on Jurgens, but OC next year?  Talk about being on the fast track.  :D

• Plus1 3

Man, that 2014 OL class. Foster, Farmer, and Gates - all 4* guys coming out of high school. I still wonder what might have been if they hadn't been put through The Mike Riley Experience...

• Plus1 5

Ozigbo is a big loss, he's been a stud. Having Washington back helps and guys like Miles Jones and Mazour should be ready to contribute more. We don't have a bigger back, but that's where Mills would be good. Throw in probably one of the new freshman contributing like Washington this year and I'm pretty excited.

Morgan is also a huge loss, and I think there are fewer options behind him. We need a bunch of guys to take big steps in year 2, but there is talent. Woodyard, Williams, Hunt, McQuitty, and Warner are all options but even assuming they develop it's a step down.

I think Farmer and Foster are better than they're given credit for, but neither are irreplaceable. Center does concern me since the next man up seems to be a walk-on Sophmore (H. Miller) and I don't think Jurgens will be ready next year. He needs 30-40 pounds and is learning a brand new position - if he is the guy great, but I'm not counting on it yet. Maybe Will Farniok or Raridon are options. But the tackles and Wilson return, and I'm confident we can find another guard, probably Desmond Bland.

D-line we lose Freedom, Stoltenberg and Newell. They've all been good, but I don't think head and shoulders above the returning depth. NT is a little concerning since we're pretty much down to Daniels and C. Davis there, but Fair (Juco) will help and we'll find out if Vainuku needed a year to get back into football or if that was a miss.

LB - Young is gone, but if Honas comes back healthy I actually feel better about the ILBs. Maybe a little worse in coverage, Young looks lost sometimes but then others he blankets the guy. Haven't really seen Honas cover. Depth is still a problem there, but I bet either Henrich or Hannah rotate in as a freshman. Gifford will be missed, but I like a healthy Ferguson/Tannor combination. Still need depth, really just counting on 2nd year growth there.

We lose a lot of Safeties, that could be interesting in a bad way. Dismuke has made it onto the field a few times, and I do really like Deontai. If Domann is healthy I feel a lot better, but there's a reason we're offering Juco safeties.

• Plus1 3
57 minutes ago, Husker in WI said:

Ozigbo is a big loss, he's been a stud. Having Washington back helps and guys like Miles Jones and Mazour should be ready to contribute more. We don't have a bigger back, but that's where Mills would be good. Throw in probably one of the new freshman contributing like Washington this year and I'm pretty excited.

Morgan is also a huge loss, and I think there are fewer options behind him. We need a bunch of guys to take big steps in year 2, but there is talent. Woodyard, Williams, Hunt, McQuitty, and Warner are all options but even assuming they develop it's a step down.

I think Farmer and Foster are better than they're given credit for, but neither are irreplaceable. Center does concern me since the next man up seems to be a walk-on Sophmore (H. Miller) and I don't think Jurgens will be ready next year. He needs 30-40 pounds and is learning a brand new position - if he is the guy great, but I'm not counting on it yet. Maybe Will Farniok or Raridon are options. But the tackles and Wilson return, and I'm confident we can find another guard, probably Desmond Bland.

D-line we lose Freedom, Stoltenberg and Newell. They've all been good, but I don't think head and shoulders above the returning depth. NT is a little concerning since we're pretty much down to Daniels and C. Davis there, but Fair (Juco) will help and we'll find out if Vainuku needed a year to get back into football or if that was a miss.

LB - Young is gone, but if Honas comes back healthy I actually feel better about the ILBs. Maybe a little worse in coverage, Young looks lost sometimes but then others he blankets the guy. Haven't really seen Honas cover. Depth is still a problem there, but I bet either Henrich or Hannah rotate in as a freshman. Gifford will be missed, but I like a healthy Ferguson/Tannor combination. Still need depth, really just counting on 2nd year growth there.

We lose a lot of Safeties, that could be interesting in a bad way. Dismuke has made it onto the field a few times, and I do really like Deontai. If Domann is healthy I feel a lot better, but there's a reason we're offering Juco safeties.

Good take! I agree with pretty much everything. Replacing Morgan and the Safeties are the biggest concerning I have next year. I think there is talent in both positions and hopefully we can use the next 5 games to get some more looks to the younger safeties for next year (particularly the BC and Illinois games) - which could be said for a lot of positions including center. 

1 hour ago, Husker in WI said:

Good stuff here.

Please correct me if I'm wrong but I could've sworn I heard they were planning on moving Bland to C?

26 minutes ago, Xmas32 said:

Good stuff here.

Please correct me if I'm wrong but I could've sworn I heard they were planning on moving Bland to C?

That would make sense, I don't really know. But I would feel better with an experienced Center, even if Bland's experience is from Juco and at Guard. And who knows, some of the guys committed probably won't make it here and we may sign some big time guys who factor in next year. It's also impossible to guess who will make the biggest jumps in year 2, but I love speculating.

• Plus1 1
5 minutes ago, Husker in WI said:

That would make sense, I don't really know. But I would feel better with an experienced Center, even if Bland's experience is from Juco and at Guard. And who knows, some of the guys committed probably won't make it here and we may sign some big time guys who factor in next year. It's also impossible to guess who will make the biggest jumps in year 2, but I love speculating.

The original plan was for Bland to get a long look at C.  He's actually playing tackle at his JUCO.  He would rather play guard.  

But it will be interesting now with Jurgens in the mix.  If they can get Jurgens up to speed by then I would guess they'd go with Bland and Wilson at guards.

2 hours ago, Mavric said:

The original plan was for Bland to get a long look at C.  He's actually playing tackle at his JUCO.  He would rather play guard.  

But it will be interesting now with Jurgens in the mix.  If they can get Jurgens up to speed by then I would guess they'd go with Bland and Wilson at guards.

This Jurgens move is just fascinating to me.  While he certainly needs to beef up, you can get away with an undersized guy at center, especially if the smaller size is offset by an explosive athlete which Jurgens clearly is.  With that being said, the transition to O-Line is going to be one heckuva adjustment and center is no joke as it's easily the hardest position on the line to learn.

11 minutes ago, Xmas32 said:

This Jurgens move is just fascinating to me.  While he certainly needs to beef up, you can get away with an undersized guy at center, especially if the smaller size is offset by an explosive athlete which Jurgens clearly is.  With that being said, the transition to O-Line is going to be one heckuva adjustment and center is no joke as it's easily the hardest position on the line to learn.

IMO, the hardest part of the transition for Jurgens is going to be putting on the weight.

Good thing we have the best weight team in the country to help him do that.

• Plus1 1
2 hours ago, Mavric said:

I think Jurgens is going to be a longer project at C if that's where he stays. 

• Plus1 1
3 minutes ago, ScottyIce said:

IMO, the hardest part of the transition for Jurgens is going to be putting on the weight.

Good thing we have the best weight team in the country to help him do that.

It would be interesting to know how much he actually weighs now.  He's listed at 270.  There have been reports that say that number is over-stated.  I kind of doubt it's off by a long ways.  I would think 260 would be plausible.  

Then there is the question of what they want to get him to.  I would think at least 285 but probably closer to 300.  So he has 10 months to add somewhere between 15 and 40 pounds.  Obviously that's quite the range.  15 wouldn't be any problem at all.  And I don't think even 25-30 should be much of an issue over that length of time given the nutrition and strength-training resources available.

8 minutes ago, Mavric said:

Then there is the question of what they want to get him to.  I would think at least 285 but probably closer to 300.  So he has 10 months to add somewhere between 15 and 40 pounds.  Obviously that's quite the range.  15 wouldn't be any problem at all.  And I don't think even 25-30 should be much of an issue over that length of time given the nutrition and strength-training resources available.

Subtract foot injury recovery time from the 10 months and it could be difficult to add 15 lbs of muscle.  10 lbs/year for most people is doing very well.  Putting on 40 lbs of weight is easy to do, unfortunately.