Next year addition and subtraction

4 minutes ago, 4skers89 said:

Subtract foot injury recovery time from the 10 months and it could be difficult to add 15 lbs of muscle.  10 lbs/year for most people is doing very well.  Putting on 40 lbs of weight is easy to do, unfortunately.

Someone should call this dude.  He had no problem putting on 30 lbs of muscle...in one summer!

Image result for lattimer the program

• Plus1 2

15 minutes ago, Xmas32 said:

Someone should call this dude.  He had no problem putting on 30 lbs of muscle...in one summer!

Image result for lattimer the program

He was a body builder and his character was on steroids. I thought this was a good read:

http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/24760305/inside-story-program-college-football-cult-movie

Apparently the QB sleeping with coaches daughter was based on CU’s Sal.  

• Plus1 1
16 minutes ago, 4skers89 said:

He was a body builder and his character was on steroids. I thought this was a good read:

http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/24760305/inside-story-program-college-football-cult-movie

Apparently the QB sleeping with coaches daughter was based on CU’s Sal.  

Bill McCartney's daughter was banging numerous CU football players in those days.  She had Aunese's kid, and it didn't become a heart-warming story until he got cancer and ended up dying.

• Plus1 1
6 minutes ago, billdozer15 said:

Im guessing your thread title is speaking to the OL. I agree losing most of the OL will be a good thing.

Most of the o-line is also misleading.  NU loses 2 of the starters from 5 guys who played every snap against Minnesota.

The 2 guys they are losing (Farmer and Foster) are playing about replacement level this year.  While they are seniors, they are guys whose talent isn't irreplaceable.

Can I just say something here?

I don't think we're a long way off.

We're turnovers, penalties and a some killer instinct away from being competitive this year. It's not just about individual talent. 

This year's returning Buy Ins will be joined by a new group of players wanting to be here and with a lot to prove. They have to be more cohesive and disciplined. There's no other choice. 

Purdue just beat the crap out of Ohio State.

We don't have a long way to go to become Purdue.

Ergo, we are competing for the division next year. 

• Plus1 3
1 minute ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

Can I just say something here?

I don't think we're a long way off.

We're turnovers, penalties and a some killer instinct away from being competitive this year. It's not just about individual talent. 

This year's returning Buy Ins will be joined by a new group of players wanting to be here and with a lot to prove. They have to be more cohesive and disciplined. There's no other choice. 

Purdue just beat the crap out of Ohio State.

We don't have a long way to go to become Purdue.

Ergo, we are competing for the division next year. 

As many have stated, patience is needed. We don’t have a crystal ball, but things are progressing. 

6 hours ago, Husker in WI said:

Ozigbo is a big loss, he's been a stud. Having Washington back helps and guys like Miles Jones and Mazour should be ready to contribute more. We don't have a bigger back, but that's where Mills would be good. Throw in probably one of the new freshman contributing like Washington this year and I'm pretty excited.

Morgan is also a huge loss, and I think there are fewer options behind him. We need a bunch of guys to take big steps in year 2, but there is talent. Woodyard, Williams, Hunt, McQuitty, and Warner are all options but even assuming they develop it's a step down.

I think Farmer and Foster are better than they're given credit for, but neither are irreplaceable. Center does concern me since the next man up seems to be a walk-on Sophmore (H. Miller) and I don't think Jurgens will be ready next year. He needs 30-40 pounds and is learning a brand new position - if he is the guy great, but I'm not counting on it yet. Maybe Will Farniok or Raridon are options. But the tackles and Wilson return, and I'm confident we can find another guard, probably Desmond Bland.

D-line we lose Freedom, Stoltenberg and Newell. They've all been good, but I don't think head and shoulders above the returning depth. NT is a little concerning since we're pretty much down to Daniels and C. Davis there, but Fair (Juco) will help and we'll find out if Vainuku needed a year to get back into football or if that was a miss.

LB - Young is gone, but if Honas comes back healthy I actually feel better about the ILBs. Maybe a little worse in coverage, Young looks lost sometimes but then others he blankets the guy. Haven't really seen Honas cover. Depth is still a problem there, but I bet either Henrich or Hannah rotate in as a freshman. Gifford will be missed, but I like a healthy Ferguson/Tannor combination. Still need depth, really just counting on 2nd year growth there.

We lose a lot of Safeties, that could be interesting in a bad way. Dismuke has made it onto the field a few times, and I do really like Deontai. If Domann is healthy I feel a lot better, but there's a reason we're offering Juco safeties.

Did Stoltenberg play Sat?   If not, how much longer will he be out and is there a chance for a medical redshirt?  I think our DL play would have been much better with him in there this year.

10 minutes ago, TGHusker said:

Did Stoltenberg play Sat?   If not, how much longer will he be out and is there a chance for a medical redshirt?  I think our DL play would have been much better with him in there this year.

Doesn't look like he did, and my impression is his knees are just pretty messed up. I thought the coaches said he was getting close so maybe sometime this year, but I wouldn't count on next year even if he got a medical redshirt - might just be a Tre Bryant type situation.

19 minutes ago, TGHusker said:

He wasn't even suited up.  Frost talked like he was getting close.  I don't think there would be any reason to rush him back for this week but perhaps by next week.

17 hours ago, Mavric said:

He wasn't even suited up.  Frost talked like he was getting close.  I don't think there would be any reason to rush him back for this week but perhaps by next week.

Is it possible Frost can just 'punt' on this year and he is awarded a medical red shirt so he can play next year.  It would seem like a wasted year for him to come back this year if there is that possibility.