Future looks bright: Comparing Martinez 2018 stats to Milton

Perhaps a fairer comparison would be their freshman stats, but I thought that looking at how they are doing in 2018 would give some indication of how good the future might be for the Cornhusker's QB:

AM Passing  (5 games) 121/183 for 1443 (66.1%) 9 TDs, 5 INTs, 13 sacks
MM Passing (6 games) 119/200 for 1797 (59.5%) 16 TDs, 4 INTs, 6 sacks

AM Rushing (5 games) 415 yds (5.0/carry)

MM Rushing (6 games) 204 yds (4.25/carry)

I think we all agree that AM's stats would look even better if he hadn't played those games in a brace. In the Minnesota game, as a runner, he looks back to fully to what he was in the Colorado game prior to the dirty play. But he keeps his eyes downfield, as we saw vs Minnesota. This guy is going to give DCs nightmares for the next few years. Imagine what he will be with better and more developed O-Line in years to come.

• Plus1 1

1 hour ago, cheekygeek said:

Perhaps a fairer comparison would be their freshman stats, but I thought that looking at how they are doing in 2018 would give some indication of how good the future might be for the Cornhusker's QB:

AM Passing  (5 games) 121/183 for 1443 (66.1%) 9 TDs, 5 INTs, 13 sacks
MM Passing (6 games) 119/200 for 1797 (59.5%) 16 TDs, 4 INTs, 6 sacks

AM Rushing (5 games) 415 yds (5.0/carry)

MM Rushing (6 games) 204 yds (4.25/carry)

I think we all agree that AM's stats would look even better if he hadn't played those games in a brace. In the Minnesota game, as a runner, he looks back to fully to what he was in the Colorado game prior to the dirty play. But he keeps his eyes downfield, as we saw vs Minnesota. This guy is going to give DCs nightmares for the next few years. Imagine what he will be with better and more developed O-Line in years to come.

AM stats were against much better competition too. Future is bright

• Fire 1

AM has lived up to the all the hype that came with him and exceeded it so far IMHO. And is great addition to the school and team.

I look forward to another 3 1/2 years with him at the helm.

The thing that has probably surprised me the most is his ability to throw deep. Man, does he deliver a beautiful ball when he has time. We've had so many QB's in the past years who would have a wide open receiver downfield and under throw, over throw or just plain miss them. AM more times than not just hit them in stride.

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 1

Can you imagine what it would mean for the program if Adrian Martinez  (Only Frost's first Nebraska recruit after going back to coach UCF to a victory against SEC power Auburn) was (deservedly) on the preseason Heisman watch list for 2019? If Divine goes from a ho-hum RB to a NFL draft pick? Players are going to come out of the WOODWORK to want to play in in the Scott Frost system. Next we just need to get the defense cranked up to the same old Blackshirts standards that landed THEM in the NFL and we will be a force to be reckoned with.

Frost isn't the only one that can see where this train is going. This snake-bit season may be looked back on as a blessing in disguise because it is going to make Frost realize that he needs to fix multiple things in order to be Top Tier in the B1G. Not just have an admittedly impressive offensive system.

• Plus1 1
19 minutes ago, cheekygeek said:

This snake-bit season may be looked back on as a blessing in disguise because it is going to make Frost realize that he needs to fix multiple things in order to be Top Tier in the B1G. Not just have an admittedly impressive offensive system.

Not that Frost won't continually learn.....but I have a strong feeling he understands where the defense and special teams need to get to.

Martinez is going to be extremely special and what a first year to experience a lot of things. One tough schedule facing Wisconsin, Michigan, Ohio State, Iowa, Michigan State, etc. The having to dig deep and stay focused starting 0-6, over coming an injury, all this adversity sucks while in the moment, but a year or more down the road it will be a great beneficial learning experience for him and this team. 

1 hour ago, Dogs In A Pile said:

AM has lived up to the all the hype that came with him and exceeded it so far IMHO. And is great addition to the school and team.

I look forward to another 3 1/2 years with him at the helm.

The thing that has probably surprised me the most is his ability to throw deep. Man, does he deliver a beautiful ball when he has time. We've had so many QB's in the past years who would have a wide open receiver downfield and under throw, over throw or just plain miss them. AM more times than not just hit them in stride.

What is even more impressive is that Adrian Martinez can also throw really catchable passes on the shorter routes.