1,000 Yard Rusher Watch

1,000 YARD RUSHER  

91 members have voted

1. 1. Who will go over 1,000 yards rushing this year?

• Devine Ozigbo
    • Adrian Martinez
    • Both pass 1,000 yards
    • Neither passes 1,000 yards

This poll is closed to new votes

1 hour ago, Landlord said:

WCO can work, sure. Does work, even. But the data at this point paints a very clear picture. WCO needs very particular pieces and abilities to even hope to work well (let alone great). 

Let's hope so. Because that's what we're running. 

Scott Frost's big playbook could have been Bill Walsh's. High percentage passes to either sideline to open up the middle. Use your RBs like wide receivers and visa versa. Second down deep passes to stretch out the secondary. Run heavy or pass heavy, depending on what the defense gives you. WCO isn't necessarily complicated or pass-heavy. Nobody really calls it that anymore, either, but every offense we want to be has pulled from the WCO. 

Tom Osborne's power option game actually required more particular pieces and abilities. And for a dual threat offense to work great requires a great dual threat QB. I think we have one now. 

While Mich St and Iowa look statistically very good, IIRC, when we played Minnie they were 26th against the run......I’d like to see Oz, he really epitomizes hard work.  I just want to see the 1000 yard rushing drought end. I’d really love to see a 1000 yard receiver for the first time ever at NU....Pretty amazing stats considering we are sitting at 1-6.

7 hours ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Riley's offense might work overall (in some years), but it doesn't work well in the straight, RB run-game.  That is my point.  His o-line coach preached pass protection over run-blocking, Riley prefers not having his QB involved in the run game, and Riley/Langsdorf never really committed to calling run-plays when the team fell behind or the team had limited success running the ball early in the game.  With Frost and his scheme, he is committed to the run game (even when behind), he utilizes a mobile QB to make teams play 11 on 11, and the pass game complements his run game.

To be clear, Mike Riley's WCO is a version where running the ball is an after-thought at best.  

17 hours ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

Tom Osborne's power option game actually required more particular pieces and abilities. 

Totally agree. But Osborne didn't always run that offense, and when he did, he benefitted from A) bigger scholarship numbers, B) a more dominant TV presence to aid in recruiting, C) a much better in-state talent pool, D) partial qualifiers, E) a much smaller amount of other midwest schools with the commitment and resources to offer full rides to players who would otherwise walk on at Nebraska, and F) some other stuff I'm probably forgetting about.

11 hours ago, Making Chimichangas said:

To be clear, Mike Riley's WCO is a version where running the ball is an after-thought at best.  

To be fair, when Mike Riley had good running backs at Oregon State, they put up career rushing numbers as good as any Husker.

And since Mike Riley's first two Husker teams ran more than they passed — even more than Scott Frost's UCF team — it certainly wasn't an after-thought at best.

Riley's gone. We have Frost. It's kinda weird to keep playing this narrative.

To be clear, Scott Frost is not returning Nebraska to smash-mouth football, he's transforming it into a modern Chip Kelly, no-huddle, risk-taking, big playbook, take-what-the-defense-gives- you,  multiple offense. I think it's exciting as hell myself, but I do recall a lot of folks on this board saying that kinda s#!t doesn't play at Nebraska. 

• Plus1 1
37 minutes ago, Landlord said:

Totally agree. But Osborne didn't always run that offense, and when he did, he benefitted from A) bigger scholarship numbers, B) a more dominant TV presence to aid in recruiting, C) a much better in-state talent pool, D) partial qualifiers, E) a much smaller amount of other midwest schools with the commitment and resources to offer full rides to players who would otherwise walk on at Nebraska, and F) some other stuff I'm probably forgetting about.

Not to argue...just a comment and a question.

A)  True, but during Osborne's entire head coaching tenure there were some degree of scholarship limits in place. The initial number was bigger than the current 85, I think it was around 105, in the 80's it dropped to around 95, and finally in the early 90's it was cut to 85.  The entire magical run from 94-97 was under the 85 limit.  So the days of Devaney giving out 45 scholarships a year were long gone and of course Nebraska wasn't the only school that had to comply with the "new" rules.

D) Are stupid/lazy/those with learning disabilities inherently better football players?

18 hours ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

Nobody really calls it that anymore, either, but every offense we want to be has pulled from the WCO. 

Just like most current offenses are heavily influenced by the run-n-shoot, though I see no one attempting to call them that the way the West Coast moniker has stuck around. That's mostly due to NFL announcers over the years.

Frost's offense has heavy roots in the West Coast, as it does in other primary offensive archetypes. He loves switch concepts, for instance, that's RNS 101. This offense, like most modern schemes, has pulled great parts from a lot of schemes and found a way to make them gel.

20 hours ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Riley/Langsdorf never really committed to calling run-plays when the team fell behind or the team had limited success running the ball early in the game.  

Run/pass ratios, unless they're extreme, don't tell you diddly about what a team wants to do. Be nice if they did, wouldn't have to watch all that tape. Whether a team runs or passes is too contextual for that, but when you want to know what a team wants to do, watch what they lean on when things are going badly. That's what they trust in, that's what they practice. For Riley, this was definitely the passing game, without hesitation. That's ok, too.

• Plus1 1

Three of our remaining games could look like the Michigan game with Martinez holding the ball while dodging rushers in the pocket, which don't bode well for Ziggy...…..or they could look like that snappy quick passing spread game that we've seen called from time to time and he could end up with 150 a game.

It is a complete mystery to me what it will be.