1,000 Yard Rusher Watch

1,000 YARD RUSHER  

91 members have voted

1. 1. Who will go over 1,000 yards rushing this year?

• Devine Ozigbo
    • Adrian Martinez
    • Both pass 1,000 yards
    • Neither passes 1,000 yards

This poll is closed to new votes

You have to go back to the 2014 Season with Ameer Abdullah (1611 yds) before you find Nebraska's last 1,000 yd single-season rusher and to 2012 and a different Martinez before you got a season when Nebraska had two 1,000 yd rushers, Ameer (1137 yds) and Taylor Martinez (1019 yds).

As of right now,  Devine is at 600 yds and Adrian is at 415. Over the next 5 games, Devine needs to average 80 yds per game and Adrian 117 yds.

Now, Nebraska has an uphill climb if they are going to be rushing against  Michigan St and Iowa (both tied with the second best rushing defenses)

Rushing Defenses

Michigan St - T-2nd

Iowa - T-2nd

Ohio St 57th

Illinois 117th

Bethune-Cookman 75th in FCS

• Plus1 1

6 minutes ago, StPaulHusker said:

I hope Ozigbo gets the number.  He deserves it.  

An interesting stat for him, in my opinion, was that he has 115 yards receiving.  In 7 games.  His season high is 123 in 10 games last year.

Another fun stat is that Devine has 600 yds rushing in 7 games this season. Last season, he had 493 yds in 10 games.

Heck, as a team, Nebraska had 1290 yds rushing last year. This year, they are already at 1539 yds.

• Plus1 2

I went with Devine only on this one.  Adrian is slowly starting to trust his running ability again as seen the last 2 games, very little hesitation now.  Had he trusted his legs since day 1 I would have gone with both.  We have some teams that will attempt to keep him from running and a few that will let him get some good numbers, but probably around 900 while Oz will be just over 1k yards.

Would’ve liked to have picked both but only went with Zig going over. Not because I don’t think 2AM is capable of it but I just think the dynamics of this offense, where he is at now on the total and who we have left to play doesn’t make it likely. He’ll still have some scary good numbers for a freshman though. But if this offense is improving and growing the way it should, it will increasingly become less dependent on his rushing and the yards should get distributed more. I guess it depends on what our opponents choose to focus on trying to stop. It would be easier to see him going over if we didn’t have so many possible weapons.

3 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

Would’ve liked to have picked both but only went with Zig going over. Not because I don’t think 2AM is capable of it but I just think the dynamics of this offense, where he is at now on the total and who we have left to play doesn’t make it likely. He’ll still have some scary good numbers for a freshman though. But if this offense is improving and growing the way it should, it will increasingly become less dependent on his rushing and the yards should get distributed more. I guess it depends on what our opponents choose to focus on trying to stop. It would be easier to see him going over if we didn’t have so many possible weapons.

I don't know, T-Magic always had the rushing game of his season vs. Mich. St. Something about the scheme they run always seemed to open up the QB run game for him.

20 minutes ago, Born N Bled Red said:

I don't know, T-Magic always had the rushing game of his season vs. Mich. St. Something about the scheme they run always seemed to open up the QB run game for him.

It very well could happen but averaging 117 with tOSU, Iowa and Mich St left seems like a long shot. Plus if BC game gets in hand early we may see him pulled and rested and the same thing could possibly happen with Illinois. If his playing time is reduced to the equivalent of 4 to 4.5 games then his average rushing has to increase to 130-146 per game. I just don’t foresee Frost riding him that hard in a season that already has 6 losses. I could be wrong and he may really go off in a couple games too. I know one thing, I really enjoy watching him and this offense.

I went with just Ziggy. I think the more important stat for 2AM is that he’s on pace for over 2,600 yards passing ALONG WITH having a 1,000+ yard rusher lining up with him. 

I REALLY REALLY hope they come into this game this week and take care of business, look crisp, play a clean game and sit on the bench most of the second half. 

2 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

I REALLY REALLY hope they come into this game this week and take care of business, look crisp, play a clean game and sit on the bench most of the second half. 

This should happen to take advantage of where this game fell on the schedule. If it was early season we would probably keep the starters in longer to work on things. Since that opportunity didn’t happen and we’re not playing for anything this season, the underclassmen should get a lot of reps to prepare for next season.

20 hours ago, Thanks_Tom RR said:

Another fun stat is that Devine has 600 yds rushing in 7 games this season. Last season, he had 493 yds in 10 games.

Heck, as a team, Nebraska had 1290 yds rushing last year. This year, they are already at 1539 yds.

I thought the sweet passing, statue QB was going to open up the run game in 2017 though!!!

I went with Ozigbo only.  Not because I don't think both can do it, but because Adrian Martinez only has about 5 or so called runs per game.  Most of his biggest runs were on pass plays where everyone was covered and he just took off.  I think going forward AM will only run when necessary.  He's a dual threat to be sure, but he's always keeping his eyes downfield to try and find an open receiver.  

And as others have said, I think going forward most teams we play will either play a contain or spy scheme which could make getting ~100 ypg kinda difficult--especially with teams like Ohio State, Iowa, and Michigan State (who are all traditionally stout against the run).

Adrian looks to run the play as called until it is too late, sometimes. I have seen him pass up sure 8-15 yd gains running to try and run the play as called. I think this stubborn way of playing will pay dividends as the game slows down and he gets to all the possible reads faster. Eventually, he'll make the decision to take off quicker, too. For this reason, I picked Ozigbo with 1000+ and Adrian Martinez will come up short.

Next year, Mo and Martinez both get 1000.

Edited by Lonestar_Husker
Spell check futility
12 minutes ago, Lonestar_Husker said:

Adrian looks to run the play as called until it is too late, sometimes. I have seen him pass up sure 8-15 yd gains running to try and run the play as called. I think this stubborn way of playing will pay dividends as the game slows down and he gets to all the possible reads faster. Eventually, he'll make the decision to take off quicker, too. For this reason, I picked Ozigbo with 1000+ and Adrian Martinez will come up short.

Next year, Mo and Martinez both get 1000.

I actually like that about him and think it’s a good sign. I think some dual threats who prefer to take off whenever it’s available are more likely to miss open receivers.

• Plus1 4