End of NCAA College Football?

https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/player-compensation-lawsuit-vs-ncaa-could-usher-in-new-round-of-conference-realignment/amp/?__twitter_impression=true

I don’t know where Nebraska would land in this possible new scenario but how would it work for us finically? 

There would be basically like 65 or schools that could do this and the other 66 would be left out to dry no different than G-5/FCS schools are now. 

I’m curious to what everyone’s thoughts on what could happen not just for Nebraska but in general with this possible ruling?  I’m not sure this is good for Nebraska at all.

• Plus1 1

1 minute ago, Nebfanatic said:

This wouldn't be good for college football, but any ruling that gives a bogger advantage to schools with money to spend on football would be beneficial to Nebraska I would think.

Yea, not a good thing.  This will probably impact non-football sports negatively and it might tear apart the Texas league.

3 minutes ago, 4skers89 said:

Yea, not a good thing.  This will probably impact non-football sports negatively and it might tear apart the Texas league.

Yeah when I say beneficial, I really just mean we would be amongst the haves in the college football world. Other than that it would be pretty bad all around. Its a tough situation though because the players are being exploited to a degree.

1 minute ago, Nebfanatic said:

Yeah when I say beneficial, I really just mean we would be amongst the haves in the college football world. Other than that it would be pretty bad all around. Its a tough situation though because the players are being exploited to a degree.

I think I'd be a little nervous if we were still in the old conference.  There might be some belt tightening around UNL but we'd be OK due to our fan support and the B1G money tree.  Saban may not be able to afford 20 former coaches on staff.  The SEC schools will have to funnel player pay through the school so the bagmen will need to find other employment.  What will happen to schools like Iowa State, Kansas, Oklahoma St- are they have-nots?   This will cause a lot of chaos.

I guess would it be the worst thing in the world to pay these guys the equivilant of a part time job.  Say if your on the team you get around 10 or 15k per year and thats it.  No endorcement deals or anything like that.  But where does it stop,  this is coming up because its football but what about girls basketball where there upper echalon isnt so high.  I dont know the answer

• Plus1 1

Yeah these athletes are sure getting exploited playing a game, getting rockstar status, and a free "education." Sure they work hard but so does every other college student and they get no compensation. These kids get their school paid for. They get a lot of perks. And they're still just playing a game. Grad students get their research used by the universities. You don't always get compensated in life. 

• Plus1 3

It may very well be more fair to compensate the players that are helping generate the revenue but I think going down that path will be the equivalent of killing the goose that lays the golden eggs. I may be in the minority but I’ve about had it with professional sports. I prefer college sports and I would hate to see it changed in this manner. As it is now I can’t stand the way Alabama maintains a dominance in the sport. It would be a shame if we had dozens of schools following that model. It sure would lower my interest in collegiate sports. I no longer enjoy the NFL because it is such a money hungry business. I can easily see that disinterest leaking into college ball should they remove reasonable spending limits and change it too much. And yes I realize that may not be fair to the athletes but if interest in college sports wanes, where will the money come from then? If a free education isn’t enough compensation for some players then maybe they should skip college and go earn what they can. See how that works out for them.

• Plus1 2

2 hours ago, MacNCheeze said:

I guess would it be the worst thing in the world to pay these guys the equivilant of a part time job.  Say if your on the team you get around 10 or 15k per year and thats it.  No endorcement deals or anything like that.  But where does it stop,  this is coming up because its football but what about girls basketball where there upper echalon isnt so high.  I dont know the answer

I've changed my tune over the years to where I think they will/should be paid.  I think back in the day the way it was done was fine.  But I'm not sure there is a good argument why they shouldn't be getting a bigger piece of the huge pie they help create.

The question is basically down to what is the number.  It was upped a couple years ago when the stipend came in.  I'm sure it will go up.  But the biggest hang-up - as you alluded to - is who gets the money?  I would think it would HAVE to be every scholarship athlete on campus (regardless of gender).  And I would think that would probably have to be an equal amount to all of them.  So the pie gets split up quite a bit pretty quickly.  But I'm not sure how all the other athletes should/would be handled - the walk-ons and partial-scholarship recipients in other sports.  At the very least I'm sure it would generate more lawsuits if they weren't given anything.  And even if they didn't end up getting anything, does that make it all the more difficult to get walk-ons to programs when they are (possibly) turning down even more money (scholarship and stipend) at a different school?

• Plus1 1

Nah, those kids shouldn't get paid.

"The NCAA Tournament will be broadcast on CBS/Turner through 2032. The companies signed an eight-year, $8.8 billion extension with the NCAA for the broadcast rights to March Madness, putting the tournament's yearly TV value at over a billion dollars for the first time.

In 2010, the NCAA and CBS/Turner agreed to a 14-year, $10.8 billion deal that will run through 2024. Apparently the parties liked that deal so much, they didn't even get halfway through their initial deal before a huge multibillion dollar extension."

Yep, you read that right.  TV money from March Madness is worth a billion dollars a  year.

8 minutes ago, Mavric said:

I've changed my tune over the years to where I think they will/should be paid.  I think back in the day the way it was done was fine.  But I'm not sure there is a good argument why they shouldn't be getting a bigger piece of the huge pie they help create.

The question is basically down to what is the number.  It was upped a couple years ago when the stipend came in.  I'm sure it will go up.  But the biggest hang-up - as you alluded to - is who gets the money?  I would think it would HAVE to be every scholarship athlete on campus (regardless of gender).  And I would think that would probably have to be an equal amount to all of them.  So the pie gets split up quite a bit pretty quickly.  But I'm not sure how all the other athletes should/would be handled - the walk-ons and partial-scholarship recipients in other sports.  At the very least I'm sure it would generate more lawsuits if they weren't given anything.  And even if they didn't end up getting anything, does that make it all the more difficult to get walk-ons to programs when they are (possibly) turning down even more money (scholarship and stipend) at a different school?

It's a mess, but it has to be figured out.  Lots of people have million(s) dollar contracts and the kids producing the product are getting room and board.  

8 minutes ago, southernoregonhusker said:

It's a mess, but it has to be figured out.  Lots of people have million(s) dollar contracts and the kids producing the product are getting room and board.  

They're getting quite a bit more than room and board.

Since you brought up the NCAA tournament revenue, that sounds like a lot.  And it is.  But - again - the pie gets split a lot of ways.  Even using the entire $1B number - which doesn't take any expenses out but is only one revenue source - and divide it among the 179,200 Division 1 student-athletes, that comes out to $5,580 each.  which is less than the stipend is right now.

• Plus1 1