It's Tuesday, which means...

4 hours ago, Moiraine said:

Yes.

There are 52 teams with 5+ wins. 4 of them are smarter than us. 

There are 75 teams with 4+ wins. 8 of them are smarter than us.

The 8 that are smarter than us are of no consequence unless they are tied with Nebraska at 5 (or 6) wins at the end of the season.  But the fact that there are 127 teams with 5+ wins almost surely means that there will be the 78 with 6+ to fill the bowls without calling on a 5 win team.

giphy.gif 

3 minutes ago, cheekygeek said:

The 8 that are smarter than us are of no consequence unless they are tied with Nebraska at 5 (or 6) wins at the end of the season.  But the fact that there are 127 teams with 5+ wins almost surely means that there will be the 78 with 6+ to fill the bowls without calling on a 5 win team.

giphy.gif 

It’s not 127. 

52 have 5+, 75 have 4+

All of the 52 teams with 5+ also have 4+.

I know that the 8 teams don’t matter if they don’t get to 5. Neither do any dumber teams that don’t get to 6.

1 hour ago, cheekygeek said:

giphy.gif 

I don’t believe they take into consideration APR at 6 wins. 

1 hour ago, cheekygeek said:

giphy.gif 

Also, there are not 127 teams with 5+ wins already.

I just want to mention we have won exactly one (1) Football game and you people are talking about beating one of the better teams in the country that happened to have a bad night? Sure we can score points, and we have proven we can score a lot of points on some bad defenses. Heck, once this season we even scored enough to win. I have a few questions in light of this lofty "hypothetical" prognostication . What makes you think we are going to show up in Columbus and play the kind of DEFENSE it takes to win? Where is the consistent pressure and pass coverage going to come from that gets us to even hang in that game? Are the front three going to miracle themselves in  the back field, or are we just going to blitz the linebackers all the time and get torched on nickel and dime pickups? Finally, I sure hope don't have to rely on special teams for anything too important like a decent return or game winning fieldgoal, because I think we might be up turd creek if we do... But I sure hope my cynicism is unwarranted and that I'm wrong. I'll be happy to eat my words!

1 hour ago, HuskerMoon said:

I just want to mention we have won exactly one (1) Football game and you people are talking about beating one of the better teams in the country that happened to have a bad night? Sure we can score points, and we have proven we can score a lot of points on some bad defenses. Heck, once this season we even scored enough to win. I have a few questions in light of this lofty "hypothetical" prognostication . What makes you think we are going to show up in Columbus and play the kind of DEFENSE it takes to win? Where is the consistent pressure and pass coverage going to come from that gets us to even hang in that game? Are the front three going to miracle themselves in  the back field, or are we just going to blitz the linebackers all the time and get torched on nickel and dime pickups? Finally, I sure hope don't have to rely on special teams for anything too important like a decent return or game winning fieldgoal, because I think we might be up turd creek if we do... But I sure hope my cynicism is unwarranted and that I'm wrong. I'll be happy to eat my words!

Apparently you don’t get the point of this topic. 

21 hours ago, ScottyIce said:

You guessed it,

IT'S TIME TO GET HYPOTHETICAL!!!!!!!!!!!

Let's pretend we win this weekend, we jump to 2-6 overall.  We roll into Columbus on a cool November morning and take down the "champs."

We are now 3-6. Do you then believe we will win out and go 6-6 to qualify for a bowl game?

Remaining foes would be Illinois, Michigan State and @ Iowa. 

No.

11 hours ago, HuskerMoon said:

This is a place where fans gather and discuss ridiculous scenarios. Obviously everyone knows beating OSU isn't likely, but at the same time anything can happen especially with this staff. You may have marked that game off as a loss already, Mike Riley would probably be saying "aw shucks guys I don't know about this one" but Scott Frost expects to win every football game so I have hope.

I haven't marked it as anything. It's 11 on 11, there is always a chance. It's just not very likely. I'm going on 19 years of counting chickens before the eggs hatch. So now that we are finally rock bottom, I want to see tangible progress before I put stock in optomism. Even the hypothetical isn't much fun when we are in this state. Minnesota is a star t, and yes there is finally marginal progress. There is just a lot of getting ahead of ourselves out there in Huskerland.

• Plus1 1

I looked a bit more.

There are 78 spots.

There are currently 81 teams that need <= 2 more wins to become bowl eligible or get to 5 wins and are ahead of us in APR.

We'll need a lot of luck but some of those teams have tough schedules left. E.g. FSU is 4-3 and has Clemson, NC State, Notre Dame, Boston College, and Florida. On the other hand, some of the 3 win teams will win 3 more games.

• Plus1 1