Toilet Bowl Cleaner - 50% off on Black Friday

Moiraine

Edit: ok, now I’m 2nd guessing my 2nd guessing.

@cheekygeek in most seasons your logic would be right but the possible scenarios make it so it doesn’t matter. @Old Nebraska Guy is right about Vanderbilt but I already posted that the APR teams with opponents 1 win from eligibility have to win.

Scenario 1: Vanderbilt, Baylor, and Purdue win (Baylor and Purdue have games against 5-win teams). No one else on the list wins. That means 74 bowl spots are taken by 6-win teams. Minnesota, KSU, and Air Force all lose and go to a bowl with 5 wins. That’s 77. Nebraska is the 78th bowl team.

Scenario 2: Same as 1 but Minnesota, KSU, and Air Force all win and go to a bowl with 6 wins. Nebraska is the 78th bowl team.

Scenario 3: Vanderbilt, Baylor, Purdue, and FSU win. No one else on the list wins. That means 75 bowl spots are taken by 6-win teams. Minnesota, KSU, and Air Force all lose and go to a bowl with 5 wins. That’s 78. Nebraska is left out.

Scenario 4: Same as 3 but Minnesota, KSU, and Air Force all win and go to a bowl with 6 wins. Nebraska is left out.

Scenario 5: Vanderbilt loses. Nebraska is out.

In these scenarios it doesn’t matter whether the 5-win APR team won their game except the one that I mentioned previously and @Old Nebraska Guy just mentioned; a 5-win APR team needs to win if their opponent is 1 win from bowl eligibility.

In another season where we don’t need only 2 teams to win and there isn’t only 1 spot available, I think your logic works. We would need Minnesota, KSU, and Air Force to win instead of 3 other teams. But that doesn’t work because 2 of those teams are already guaranteed to win (Baylor or TTech, Purdue or Indiana) and there is no more room for error for your logic to apply here. 

You’ve said if 3 teams on the final list win we’re out. If only 2 on the final list win we’re in regardless of what the 5-win APR teams do other than Vanderbilt which I already mentioned when I was talking about their opponents like 5 posts ago.

4 hours ago, knapplc said:

We could just pay them the prize money we get by playing. We don't need the cash. We have all kinds of money. What we need are more practices, and more opportunities to get Stanley past 1,000 yards.

In this same vein, out of all the bowl eligible teams there has to be at least one that attending the bowl game will be a financial hardship. We do a little back room dealing, some well timed press releases and bam, we're bowling. Not impossible. 

3 hours ago, Old Nebraska Guy said:

That crazy scenario is technically correct.  If Vandy wins the head to head they become a regular qualifier and are removed from the APR list leaving only three teams ahead of NU.

71 now + 3 head to head winners + now only 3 APR qualifiers = 77 bowl teams.   All that other stuff has to happen too...piece of cake, get you ticket orders in...smirk

The only 5-win APR team that needs to win is Vanderbilt, which I already stated when I said the high APR teams need to win against opponents 1 win from eligiblity. The outcomes of the other 3 games are irrelevant. 

If it was possible for only 1 bad APR 5-win team to win 6, then we’d need 2 high APR teams to win their games. But it’s not possible due to the Baylor and Purdue games.

I think I did a crappy job of explaining because ain’t no one got time to read that.

71 bowls are taken.

Purdue and Baylor are playing 5-win sucky APR teams.

Therefore:

73 bowls are taken. Vanderbilt MUST win for us to go to a bowl. That makes 74.

Option 1: 74 + Minnesota + Air Force + Kansas State + Nebraska = 78

Option 2: 74 + Florida State (or any bad APR 5-win team) + Minnesota + Air Force + Kansas State + Nebraska = 79

Our bowl game fate does not hinge on anything Minnesota, Air Force, or Kansas State do because:

Total # of Bowl Games - (Nebraska + # of APR teams in our way + # of 6+ win teams) <= 0

Alternatively:

Total # of spots left <= Nebraska + # of 5-win high APR teams.

4 spots left, 3 5-win high APR teams + Nebraska.

• Plus1 1

On ‎11‎/‎20‎/‎2018 at 8:07 AM, BigRedBuster said:

I fail to see why this is such a huge issue and what Alabama has to say about it.

There are some years where the NCAA needs to have one or two 5 win teams go to bowls to fill the spots.  Not sure why graduation rates is such a laughing point.

Because I doubt the BCS playoff committee is sitting around studying the graduation rates to determine the final 4, considering the churning of SEC athletes I'm sure academics is their least consideration.
"Looks like we'll have to throw out Alabama and Clemson....have you seen the graduation stats at Utah State and Virginia Tech!" The NCAA only cares when it doesn't matter, that's all I'm saying.

These improbable events remind me of the run-up to the 2001 National Championship game where we got in because something like six or seven schools ahead of us lost and TCU got screwed. 

Then again, had TCU not cancelled their series with us that season, they would have had the BCS cache to leapfrog us...gotta love how much of a coward Franchione was. 

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, Enhance said:

The guys on 1620 have been saying for a week or so now that Nebraska has had too many transfers which negates their bowl eligibility anyways, but I haven't seen that mentioned in a lot of places and I didn't see it searching through this thread.

I've never heard of that before.  Is there a max number of transfers to be bowl eligible?