*** 2018 Game 8 "Expert" Picks: BCU At Nebraska ***

Saunders

2018 Game 8 “Expert” Picks: Bethune Cookman @ Nebraska

—————
CollegeFootballNews.com

https://collegefootballnews.com/2018/10/nebraska-vs-bethune-cookman-fearless-prediction-game-preview
What’s Going To Happen
Nebraska finally broke through with its first win under Scott Frost, and now it’s time to tune up even more before a nasty finishing kick with Ohio State up next.

Bethune-Cookman will be little more than a scrimmage for a Husker offense that went off on Minnesota, led by a red hot Adrian Martinez who hit 86% of his passes for 276 yards and three scores – to go along with 125 rushing yards and a touchdown – it the 53-28 win. The Wildcat secondary is just good enough keep Martinez and the Huskers from throwing against air, but it’ll get ripped apart as the first half goes on. But can the Bethune-Cookman offense do anything to keep up?

QB Arkevious Williams is a sharp, accurate passer who’ll press the Nebraska defense enough to put some points on the board, but the Husker offense is just too good right now. There won’t be any letdown. Nebraska has only won one game – it’s going to care about winning a second, no matter who it’s against.

Nebraska 50 - Bethune Cookman 27
—————
ESPN FPI
http://www.espn.com/college-football/game/_/gameId/401085385
Nebraska - 98.3% Win
—————
Bill Connelly S&P+
https://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2018/10/25/18021968/college-football-picks-week-9-2018-predictions-odds-spreads
S&P+: Nebraska 35 - BCU 0 (97.7% N Win)
F+ Projection: Nebraska by 20 (87.6% N Win)
—————
Athlon Sports
https://athlonsports.com/college-football/college-football-picks-expert-predictions-every-game-week-9-2018
Steven Lassan: N
Mitch Light: N
Mark Ross: N

https://athlonsports.com/college-football/bethune-cookman-wildcats-vs-nebraska-cornhuskers-prediction-picks-2018
This game has the feel of Nebraska’s meeting with Idaho State in 2012 which resulted in a 73-7 Cornhusker win. Every fan likes to see their team on the winning end of a track meet, but just about everyone in the stadium was begging for a running clock by about halfway through the third quarter.

While Bethune-Cookman is averaging about 36 points per game, they scored 79 against NCCAA school Virginia-Lynchburg. NCCAA institutions are allowed to award only 24 scholarships, so that skews the numbers quite a bit. This game should be exactly what Nebraska is paying for: a massacre. The Huskers get to build on the momentum they gained in their win versus Minnesota and the Wildcats get a nice fat check with a side of good old-fashioned Husker hospitality.

Prediction: Nebraska 77 - Bethune Cookman 13
—————
Big Red Wrap-Up
http://netnebraska.org/interactive-multimedia/sports/big-red-wrap-bethune-cookman-prediction
Kevin Kugler: Nebraska 56 - Bethune Cookman 10
Jay More: Nebraska 45 - Bethune Cookman 17
Steven M Sipple: Nebraska 62 - Bethune Cookman 27
—————

• Plus1 1

The line is higher than I thought it would be (Now at -41.5).  I really don't know what side I like.  I can see NU scoring on most of their possessions and I can also see B-C scoring in the 4-6 times as well.

I also kind of think there is a chance that Frost does everything he can to make sure this score is not a 70-14 type game.  

• Plus1 1

7 hours ago, teachercd said:

The line is higher than I thought it would be (Now at -41.5).  I really don't know what side I like.  I can see NU scoring on most of their possessions and I can also see B-C scoring in the 4-6 times as well.

I also kind of think there is a chance that Frost does everything he can to make sure this score is not a 70-14 type game.  

Yeah, my gut feeling is Frost may not want to run up the score as much as would seem possible. IIRC we filled in with BC because this staff knew them from UCF days. My guess is we’ll build a comfortable lead, pull many starters for rest and use it to get lots of people reps. But considering how the season has gone, I also would think he would want a fairly sizable margin of victory too. Guessing in the 35-40 point range.....if our defense can perform like they should against BC. Our offense, with starters, should be able to score at will. I’ll be surprised if 2AM and many others see the field past the mid point of the 3rd. If they’re still in, it would be because of defense issues.

16 hours ago, JJ Husker said:

Yeah, my gut feeling is Frost may not want to run up the score as much as would seem possible. IIRC we filled in with BC because this staff knew them from UCF days. My guess is we’ll build a comfortable lead, pull many starters for rest and use it to get lots of people reps. But considering how the season has gone, I also would think he would want a fairly sizable margin of victory too. Guessing in the 35-40 point range.....if our defense can perform like they should against BC. Our offense, with starters, should be able to score at will. I’ll be surprised if 2AM and many others see the field past the mid point of the 3rd. If they’re still in, it would be because of defense issues.

I'd love it if NU can take the approach Ohio was able to use last night against Ball State, they got up 38-7 early in the 3q and then it was backup city and a near running clock after that.

On 10/25/2018 at 9:10 AM, teachercd said:

Why wouldnt he want that? Get the backups some experience and much needed confidence. Much of our problem of the last 10-15 years is a lack of killer instinct. Up by 3 or up by 50 we should be running our offense and trying to score. This instills the mentality we need to have if we are ever going to return to the national table.

5 minutes ago, billdozer15 said:

Why wouldnt he want that? Get the backups some experience and much needed confidence. Much of our problem of the last 10-15 years is a lack of killer instinct. Up by 3 or up by 50 we should be running our offense and trying to score. This instills the mentality we need to have if we are ever going to return to the national table.

I think that he understands that his is a game where BC is really doing the Huskers the favor.  I don't think he is looking to try and embarrass them.

I have coached a ton of games and when I have hated the other staff we do what we can to run it up...when we like the other staff we don't.  I kind of get the feeling that this is that type of game.

It isn't that you stop running your offense...it is that you run some inside zone from your playbook instead of something that might be more likely to be a big play.

• Plus1 1
25 minutes ago, teachercd said:

I think that he understands that his is a game where BC is really doing the Huskers the favor.  I don't think he is looking to try and embarrass them.

I have coached a ton of games and when I have hated the other staff we do what we can to run it up...when we like the other staff we don't.  I kind of get the feeling that this is that type of game.

It isn't that you stop running your offense...it is that you run some inside zone from your playbook instead of something that might be more likely to be a big play.

Ya, I can agree with this. Up 28 on Iowa you go for a 60 yard TD pass every time (or even up on Minnesota 46-28, although we were so scared we’d lose again I think we would’ve done that to anyone in that specific scenario. Edit: I think I’m thinking of the wrong drive but whatever).

Up 28 on Bethune Cookman in the 3rd or 4th you’d still pass to try to get a first down but maybe not be throwing bombs when they’re there.

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1