What Did We Learn? - Bethune-Cookman

Mavric

The last two weeks, in particular, we've seen Frost adjust his play calling to his QB. We say Martinez is good "for a freshman" for a reason. We don't expect him to play like a fifth year senior. One of those areas Martinez is still working on is playing fast. His decision making is getting quicker but not to the high level this offense demands.

Solution: Fewer plays where he has to stand in the pocket and make downfield reads, more RPOs where he just counts and throws. Let the structure of the offense do the work. It's resulted in not only a higher completion percentage and better efficiency, but a better running game, too.

Defensively this team is getting better, but we are having to scheme pressure rather than get pressure. That's still a huge source of our issues. 

• Plus1 4

It looks to me like we will need two receivers minimum to step up with Morgan graduating and hope Spielman stays around one more year. Williams may get one of those spots. Desmond Bland should start at center or guard and we will need another to be ready to start plus at least one dependable sub in case of injury.  I worry about the defense.  Many of this years freshmen class will have to play and maybe a few true freshmen. DB and DL will be very young and possibly thin. Might need to go the juco route again. (Juice was not my choice) :)

First team O took care of business. Looked sharp for the most part and got some rest for next week. 

Despite only giving up 9, Defense continued to show some gaping holes in both scheme and technique. We are going to have to win shootouts I’m afraid until we get more talent on that side of the ball. 

Special teams TD!!!!! No missed kicks. Some good punts. Best special teams performance of the year

• Plus1 1

18 minutes ago, TonyStalloni said:

It looks to me like we will need two receivers minimum to step up with Morgan graduating and hope Spielman stays around one more year. Williams may get one of those spots. Desmond Bland should start at center or guard and we will need another to be ready to start plus at least one dependable sub in case of injury.  I worry about the defense.  Many of this years freshmen class will have to play and maybe a few true freshmen. DB and DL will be very young and possibly thin. Might need to go the juice route again.

I think a lot of fans were going the juice route up until last week's game....heh heh

34 minutes ago, TonyStalloni said:

It looks to me like we will need two receivers minimum to step up with Morgan graduating and hope Spielman stays around one more year. Williams may get one of those spots. Desmond Bland should start at center or guard and we will need another to be ready to start plus at least one dependable sub in case of injury.  I worry about the defense.  Many of this years freshmen class will have to play and maybe a few true freshmen. DB and DL will be very young and possibly thin. Might need to go the juice route again.

Disagree about the DL being young and thin. You'll have Daniels, Davis and Fair at NT(assuming everything checks out, it might allow Davis to play more at end). At DE there will be Stille, Davis, Thomas, Wilderman and Rogers.

I'm a little more concerned about DB, particularly at safety, but we'll be much more athletic there than this year. CB you'll have Bootle, Jackson, Taylor, Lee and Clark.

There's a legit concern after Morgan and Speilman though.

- Team lacks depth, especially in trenches, but I think we all probably knew that. Still it was eye opening when the entire line got subbed out in the third quarter.

- Still too many missed tackles and defensive lapses for my liking.... perhaps concentration was an issue today due to the opponent.

- Special teams is getting a LOT better, especially Armstrong over Lightbourn 

- I'm actually finding myself enjoying the games lately, even despite the record. It just feels different.

• Plus1 1

1 hour ago, TonyStalloni said:

I'm not worried about the offense in the slightest, I think Wandale is N.  DB is a concern,  but we are actually fairly deep on DL.  Lose Newell who hasn't played,  and Stolt who has been hurt. 

52 minutes ago, MyBloodIsRed16 said:

I learned we are still not very smart on defense.  We've been giving up inside routes all year.  Yet when we are playing man they line up head up on the guy.  Take inside leverage and help yourself out.  

Defense is a concern yes,  but Chin let it slip at half in a comment to reporter that they can't run what he wants to yet with where the kids are.  Stuck in more zone than he'd like.  A full year in the system and some new blood should help. 

• Plus1 1

I think we learned the reason we don't see a lot of substitution in many positions during games....the next guys up are not that good in a lot of cases.  

But they get better with chances to play, like today.  I absolutely loved seeing the lower guys getting a big chunk of game time.  We've got a long way to go, but games like today continue to make us one game closer, and as for me, it makes me even more patient.