What Did We Learn? - Bethune-Cookman

Mavric

24 minutes ago, brophog said:

Defense is won on the recruiting trail. So much has been said about how that 1997 Nebraska team was built on Nebraska kids. Not much is said about how the offense was and the defense wasn't. That defense was built on athletes recruited from coast to coast. Offenses have a much easier time solving problems through scheme than defenses do. 

I still question if Chins gets this done, but he absolutely doesn't have the players needed, in particular at OLB. Get him a couple of real threats there that he can move around and cause confusion with and this defense as a whole takes an enormous jump. I'd easily trade recruiting victories for actual victories at this point.

Small sample size but Frost et al seem to know how to recruit. I think they will get what they need. 

Agree 100% on the need for a legit threat on Defense. Throw a Shaq in this D and it improves immediately. There isn’t one guy on this defense teams have to account for.  We have some decent players but no one the opposing OC is staying up late worrying about. 

Would have been nice to have this type of game week 1.

Look, it's been a bad year, this team really isn't good, it has many weaknesses, and even the win vs BC was an obvious one weeks ago when we were winless. But with all that, this program's trajectory is up, up, up. It was a fun game, a fun win, and you could see the players having fun, which is good. The last two weeks and wins may not have been against the best competition, but it has shown this team is growing and ultimately the program is starting to turn upward. 

Look at the headlines of some of the other traditional blue bloods of college football. Florida State may have more wins, and may get to a bowl game after a terrible start like Nebraska's, but you have headlines of players quitting on the team now, at the end of October. FSU is looking like they are still in shambles, while it looks and feels Nebraska is starting to come together. We had our storm, we've weathered it, Ohio State won't be a fun one, but from there on out anything is possible for this team.

• Plus1 1

1 hour ago, brophog said:

Defense is won on the recruiting trail. So much has been said about how that 1997 Nebraska team was built on Nebraska kids. Not much is said about how the offense was and the defense wasn't. That defense was built on athletes recruited from coast to coast. Offenses have a much easier time solving problems through scheme than defenses do. 

I still question if Chins gets this done, but he absolutely doesn't have the players needed, in particular at OLB. Get him a couple of real threats there that he can move around and cause confusion with and this defense as a whole takes an enormous jump. I'd easily trade recruiting victories for actual victories at this point.

Another thing he said at the half was he wasn't concerned with statistics.  Points is all that matters.  While true, IMHO, we still need to be a top defense to win the conference and more.

Totally agree with the talent not quite here yet........Patience needed for sure.  Like Moos said, it took 15 years to go from first to worst. Change won't happen over night.

1 hour ago, olddominionhusker said:

Small sample size but Frost et al seem to know how to recruit. I think they will get what they need. 

Agree 100% on the need for a legit threat on Defense. Throw a Shaq in this D and it improves immediately. There isn’t one guy on this defense teams have to account for.  We have some decent players but no one the opposing OC is staying up late worrying about. 

So much this.  We need at least one guy on D that the O has to account for and worry about every play.  Some of our young guys have flashed.  Another year in the system and S&C will have some of these guys unrecognizable next year.

4 hours ago, MyBloodIsRed16 said:

I learned we are still not very smart on defense.  We've been giving up inside routes all year.  Yet when we are playing man they line up head up on the guy.  Take inside leverage and help yourself out.  

I wasn't able to watch this game, but I re-watched the minny game, and parts of NW and Purdue. In most cases, the slot receiver is given a big cushion and allowed to catch a short slant with almost no pressure. Is there a reason for this scheme wise? It seems ridiculous to me.

3 hours ago, grandpasknee said:

I think we learned the reason we don't see a lot of substitution in many positions during games....the next guys up are not that good in a lot of cases.  

But they get better with chances to play, like today.  I absolutely loved seeing the lower guys getting a big chunk of game time.  We've got a long way to go, but games like today continue to make us one game closer, and as for me, it makes me even more patient.

Could the lack of performance of the backups be due to lack of time to learn the system? Could these backups look much better next year?