What Did We Learn? - Bethune-Cookman

Mavric

12 minutes ago, MichiganDad3 said:

I wasn't able to watch this game, but I re-watched the minny game, and parts of NW and Purdue. In most cases, the slot receiver is given a big cushion and allowed to catch a short slant with almost no pressure. Is there a reason for this scheme wise? It seems ridiculous to me.

I think they're picking their poison and giving up the short route to keep from getting burned deep. Many teams won't run a slant inside because they're afraid of an '85 Bear knocking their receiver's block off (or tip and interception.) A big hit is probably an automatic ejection under the new flag football rules, so they can throw that now. I don't think we're the only team that gives that up, but I bet we're one of the few that lets a routine slant or QB keeper go for 30 yards.

• Fire 1

6 hours ago, brophog said:

Defense is won on the recruiting trail. So much has been said about how that 1997 Nebraska team was built on Nebraska kids. Not much is said about how the offense was and the defense wasn't. That defense was built on athletes recruited from coast to coast. Offenses have a much easier time solving problems through scheme than defenses do. 

I still question if Chins gets this done, but he absolutely doesn't have the players needed, in particular at OLB. Get him a couple of real threats there that he can move around and cause confusion with and this defense as a whole takes an enormous jump. I'd easily trade recruiting victories for actual victories at this point.

Gross