Keith Williams

Listening to one of the local radio stations the other day and they said our wide receivers have not improved since Scott Frost has arrived. Do you guys agree with this? With having such an elite wide receiver coach still living in Lincoln is there any way we can get Keith Williams back on the staff? 

I am also excluding Stanley Morgan and JD Spielman from this discussion since they are naturally gifted athletes.

• Plus1 1

The question itself is a bit ridiculous; we're 8 games into a new staff who have to completely replenish a WR corp that had very little talent in it (past the top 2 players in the group, who are conveniently left out of this conversation). I suspect the reason why guys like Woodyard and McQuitty haven't seen the field much yet is the same reason why Warner has: blocking. No block, no rock; even though Woodyard and McQuitty are more naturally talented than Warner, Warner has an affinity for blocking that the former two do not. He and Williams will attack downfield blocking, which is why they are getting the lions share of opportunities behind Morgan and JD. 

Now, for your hypothetical (and it isn't even Tuesday, right @ScottyIce?): I suspect that, sooner or later, there will be an opening at the OC/WR position. Walters has an eye on being a head coach, and he'll leave on his own volition long, long before Frost would ever entertain firing him. As long as Frost is comfortable with Williams' off-the-field issues, I would welcome him back on the staff in a heartbeat. By all accounts, he's a good coach and a good recruiter, and he cares about his players. And he's atoned for his mistakes. However, I give this less of a chance of happening this offseason (Frost firing Walters and hiring Williams) than all of Scotty's hypotheticals combined. 

• Plus1 1
6 minutes ago, Cdog923 said:

The question itself is a bit ridiculous; we're 8 games into a new staff who have to completely replenish a WR corp that had very little talent in it (past the top 2 players in the group, who are conveniently left out of this conversation). I suspect the reason why guys like Woodyard and McQuitty haven't seen the field much yet is the same reason why Warner has: blocking. No block, no rock; even though Woodyard and McQuitty are more naturally talented than Warner, Warner has an affinity for blocking that the former two do not. He and Williams will attack downfield blocking, which is why they are getting the lions share of opportunities behind Morgan and JD. 

Now, for your hypothetical (and it isn't even Tuesday, right @ScottyIce?): I suspect that, sooner or later, there will be an opening at the OC/WR position. Walters has an eye on being a head coach, and he'll leave on his own volition long, long before Frost would ever entertain firing him. As long as Frost is comfortable with Williams' off-the-field issues, I would welcome him back on the staff in a heartbeat. By all accounts, he's a good coach and a good recruiter, and he cares about his players. And he's atoned for his mistakes. However, I give this less of a chance of happening this offseason (Frost firing Walters and hiring Williams) than all of Scotty's hypotheticals combined. 

Yup not Tuesday and frost is not firing anyone.

I guess my question is who is the litmus test? In the OP, you took out the two WR returning (Morgan and Spielman), so how can we gauge if a particular WR has improved? Now, if you are asking about the WR corp as a whole, their blocking has improved considerable from the start of the season until now. I don't know what receptions per targets this season. Does anyone have a link? I would say Morgan and Spielman seem to be having less drops (or maybe it is just that they are making more catches during important moments).

43 minutes ago, Cdog923 said:

Now, for your hypothetical: I suspect that, sooner or later, there will be an opening at the OC/WR position.

Hmm, off in hypothetical land, I wonder if we'd continue having the OC coaching the WRs. OCs tend to coach QBs, but I don't think Verduzco is going anywhere, nor do I think anyone wants him to.

• Plus1 1
1 minute ago, Toe said:

Hmm, off in hypothetical land, I wonder if we'd continue having the OC coaching the WRs. OCs tend to coach QBs, but I don't think Verduzco is going anywhere, nor do I think anyone wants him to.

I guess it would depend on what the OCs background is.  It makes a lot of sense for Walters to coach the WRs given his background.

• Plus1 1

3 minutes ago, Toe said:

Just now, Xmas32 said:

I guess it would depend on what the OCs background is.  It makes a lot of sense for Walters to coach the WRs given his background.

My initial thought is that the next OC will also be the RBs coach....

1 hour ago, Husker2019 said:

Listening to one of the local radio stations the other day and they said our wide receivers have not improved since Scott Frost has arrived. Do you guys agree with this? With having such an elite wide receiver coach still living in Lincoln is there any way we can get Keith Williams back on the staff? 

I am also excluding Stanley Morgan and JD Spielman from this discussion since they are naturally gifted athletes.

I know this is a troll job but Keith Williams can't hold Troy Walters jock when it comes to WRs.

Just now, Cdog923 said:

My initial thought is that the next OC will also be the RBs coach....

I too, share these same sentiments.

1 hour ago, Cdog923 said:

I suspect the reason why guys like Woodyard and McQuitty haven't seen the field much yet is the same reason why Warner has: blocking. No block, no rock; even though Woodyard and McQuitty are more naturally talented than Warner, Warner has an affinity for blocking that the former two do not. He and Williams will attack downfield blocking, which is why they are getting the lions share of opportunities behind Morgan and JD.

McQuitty's first game appearance was against BCU (0-0-0). As a Freshman I'm pretty sure he will be a 4 game redshirt.

Woodyard has appeared in 3 games and has 1 catch for 10 yds. As a junior, does he have a redshirt hear available?

Williams sucks compared to Walters.

Walters sucks compared to Williams.

How the hell do y’all know this when one of them has only coached here 8 months?

Also, what is the standard for comparison? We have 2 great receivers so we clearly are supposed to have 3 or more and since we don’t Walters sucks. So, what was the 3 receiver duo that was better when Williams was here?

• Plus1 2