Keith Williams

22 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

Yep. When Kill took over a bottom dwelling team in a Power 5 conference, he turned in numbers that were positively Rileyian.

And I don't have to tell you that Mike Riley won Pac 12 Coach of the Year, right?

1755044734_ScreenShot2018-10-31at5_42_17PM.png.894db43ee13e6b2b10c03be7633681e6.png

When all else fails, cherry pick......

• Plus1 1
9 minutes ago, TheSker said:

When all else fails, cherry pick......

Kill's most recent seasons? In the P5 conference he'd be coaching us in? 

If I cherry picked Riley's seasons, they would look better than this. If I picked Riley's first five seasons or last five seasons at Oregon State, they'd be pretty similar. 

If you're suggesting that Jerry Kill was a hot young coaching prospect back at Southern Illinois, no argument there. 

3 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

Kill's most recent seasons? In the P5 conference he'd be coaching us in? 

If I cherry picked Riley's seasons, they would look better than this. If I picked Riley's first five seasons or last five seasons at Oregon State, they'd be pretty similar. 

If you're suggesting that Jerry Kill was a hot young coaching prospect back at Southern Illinois, no argument there. 

I'm suggesting that you not "pick" any time period.  I'm suggesting if you put Riley's resume' and Kill's resume next to each other in 2014 that Kill's would be the better qualified of the two.

16 minutes ago, TheSker said:

I'm suggesting that you not "pick" any time period.  I'm suggesting if you put Riley's resume' and Kill's resume next to each other in 2014 that Kill's would be the better qualified of the two.

And Brett Bielema's would have been better than both, and he would have been a mistake, too.

Picking head coaches isn't the no-brainer you're pretending it is. 

• Plus1 3
3 hours ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

So everyone on the "Most Underrated List" was a coach that other coaches liked to play because they were easy to beat? And they honored them with their anonymous vote? 

Okay. Fine. Forget what the coaches said. Let's go back to 2014 and see how Athlon rated ALL current coaches, presumably free of treacly new hire sentiment.

Looks like Mike Riley comes in at #27, ahead of Kirk Ferentz, Jerry Kill, Dabo Swinney, Dan Mullen, Mike Leach, and all the way down at #43, Bo Pelini. 

27. Mike Riley, Oregon State
Record at Oregon State: 88-73 (13 years)
Career Record: 88-73 (13 years)
Oregon State’s Program Rank: No. 10 in the Pac-12, No. 54 nationally

oregonstate.jpgRiley is in his second stint at Oregon State, and the Beavers have been one of the Pac-12’s most consistent programs under his watch. From 1971-98, Oregon State failed to earn a winning record. But since 2003, the Beavers have eight winning seasons out of the last 11 years. Riley has guided Oregon State to six years of at least eight wins during that span. The Beavers also have 15 bowl appearances in school history – eight of them are under Riley’s watch. So while Oregon State is still looking for a Pac-12 title under Riley, he has clearly elevated a program that struggled mightily prior to his arrival. And if you needed any additional data on Riley’s impact, take a look at recruiting rankings. The Beavers own the No. 10 roster in the Pac-12, yet rank sixth in the conference in conference wins over the last four years.

And above Riley is a list of coaches we might have coveted at the time, but haven't aged so well, either.

Riley was not considered a terrible hire by independent college football observers in 2015. At worst he was considered a head-scratcher. Others thought it was a good fit. The head of Rivals thought Nebraska scored a coup. 

Like Pelini, Riely is gone. No sense making them into more or less than they were.

The head of Rivals that has an abnormally large per population that pay per month for hype of 16-18 year olds.   No way I would never expect that to happen.