Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Listening to one of the local radio stations the other day and they said our wide receivers have not improved since Scott Frost has arrived. Do you guys agree with this? With having such an elite wide receiver coach still living in Lincoln is there any way we can get Keith Williams back on the staff? 

 

I am also excluding Stanley Morgan and JD Spielman from this discussion since they are naturally gifted athletes.

  • Plus1 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd be all for it.  He's directly responsible for the best receiving duo in school history.  You always have to take the baggage into consideration.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Lol... oh man, this stuff never gets old.

 

I really liked Williams, but unfortunately there is no room for him to be on field coaching.

 

I personally think Walters is doing a fine job. Some youngsters aren’t ready to play right away.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The question itself is a bit ridiculous; we're 8 games into a new staff who have to completely replenish a WR corp that had very little talent in it (past the top 2 players in the group, who are conveniently left out of this conversation). I suspect the reason why guys like Woodyard and McQuitty haven't seen the field much yet is the same reason why Warner has: blocking. No block, no rock; even though Woodyard and McQuitty are more naturally talented than Warner, Warner has an affinity for blocking that the former two do not. He and Williams will attack downfield blocking, which is why they are getting the lions share of opportunities behind Morgan and JD. 

 

Now, for your hypothetical (and it isn't even Tuesday, right @ScottyIce?): I suspect that, sooner or later, there will be an opening at the OC/WR position. Walters has an eye on being a head coach, and he'll leave on his own volition long, long before Frost would ever entertain firing him. As long as Frost is comfortable with Williams' off-the-field issues, I would welcome him back on the staff in a heartbeat. By all accounts, he's a good coach and a good recruiter, and he cares about his players. And he's atoned for his mistakes. However, I give this less of a chance of happening this offseason (Frost firing Walters and hiring Williams) than all of Scotty's hypotheticals combined. 

  • Plus1 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Cdog923 said:

The question itself is a bit ridiculous; we're 8 games into a new staff who have to completely replenish a WR corp that had very little talent in it (past the top 2 players in the group, who are conveniently left out of this conversation). I suspect the reason why guys like Woodyard and McQuitty haven't seen the field much yet is the same reason why Warner has: blocking. No block, no rock; even though Woodyard and McQuitty are more naturally talented than Warner, Warner has an affinity for blocking that the former two do not. He and Williams will attack downfield blocking, which is why they are getting the lions share of opportunities behind Morgan and JD. 

 

Now, for your hypothetical (and it isn't even Tuesday, right @ScottyIce?): I suspect that, sooner or later, there will be an opening at the OC/WR position. Walters has an eye on being a head coach, and he'll leave on his own volition long, long before Frost would ever entertain firing him. As long as Frost is comfortable with Williams' off-the-field issues, I would welcome him back on the staff in a heartbeat. By all accounts, he's a good coach and a good recruiter, and he cares about his players. And he's atoned for his mistakes. However, I give this less of a chance of happening this offseason (Frost firing Walters and hiring Williams) than all of Scotty's hypotheticals combined. 

Yup not Tuesday and frost is not firing anyone.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I guess my question is who is the litmus test? In the OP, you took out the two WR returning (Morgan and Spielman), so how can we gauge if a particular WR has improved? Now, if you are asking about the WR corp as a whole, their blocking has improved considerable from the start of the season until now. I don't know what receptions per targets this season. Does anyone have a link? I would say Morgan and Spielman seem to be having less drops (or maybe it is just that they are making more catches during important moments).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, Cdog923 said:

Now, for your hypothetical: I suspect that, sooner or later, there will be an opening at the OC/WR position.

 

Hmm, off in hypothetical land, I wonder if we'd continue having the OC coaching the WRs. OCs tend to coach QBs, but I don't think Verduzco is going anywhere, nor do I think anyone wants him to.

  • Plus1 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Toe said:

 

Hmm, off in hypothetical land, I wonder if we'd continue having the OC coaching the WRs. OCs tend to coach QBs, but I don't think Verduzco is going anywhere, nor do I think anyone wants him to.

 

I guess it would depend on what the OCs background is.  It makes a lot of sense for Walters to coach the WRs given his background.

  • Plus1 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Toe said:

 

Hmm, off in hypothetical land, I wonder if we'd continue having the OC coaching the WRs. OCs tend to coach QBs, but I don't think Verduzco is going anywhere, nor do I think anyone wants him to.

 

Just now, Xmas32 said:

 

I guess it would depend on what the OCs background is.  It makes a lot of sense for Walters to coach the WRs given his background.

 

My initial thought is that the next OC will also be the RBs coach....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Husker2019 said:

Listening to one of the local radio stations the other day and they said our wide receivers have not improved since Scott Frost has arrived. Do you guys agree with this? With having such an elite wide receiver coach still living in Lincoln is there any way we can get Keith Williams back on the staff? 

 

I am also excluding Stanley Morgan and JD Spielman from this discussion since they are naturally gifted athletes.

 

I know this is a troll job but Keith Williams can't hold Troy Walters jock when it comes to WRs.

Just now, Cdog923 said:

 

 

My initial thought is that the next OC will also be the RBs coach....

 

I too, share these same sentiments.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Xmas32 said:

 

I know this is a troll job but Keith Williams can't hold Troy Walters jock when it comes to WRs.

 

Are you serious, Clark?

  • Plus1 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Cdog923 said:

I suspect the reason why guys like Woodyard and McQuitty haven't seen the field much yet is the same reason why Warner has: blocking. No block, no rock; even though Woodyard and McQuitty are more naturally talented than Warner, Warner has an affinity for blocking that the former two do not. He and Williams will attack downfield blocking, which is why they are getting the lions share of opportunities behind Morgan and JD.

 

McQuitty's first game appearance was against BCU (0-0-0). As a Freshman I'm pretty sure he will be a 4 game redshirt.

 

Woodyard has appeared in 3 games and has 1 catch for 10 yds. As a junior, does he have a redshirt hear available?

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Williams sucks compared to Walters.

 

Walters sucks compared to Williams.

 

 

How the hell do y’all know this when one of them has only coached here 8 months?

 

Also, what is the standard for comparison? We have 2 great receivers so we clearly are supposed to have 3 or more and since we don’t Walters sucks. So, what was the 3 receiver duo that was better when Williams was here?

  • Plus1 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Moiraine said:

What was the 3 receiver duo that was better when Williams was here?

"3 Receiver Duo" would be an excellent band name.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

Williams sucks compared to Walters.

 

Walters sucks compared to Williams.

 

 

How the hell do y’all know this when one of them has only coached here 8 months?

 

Also, what is the standard for comparison? We have 2 great receivers so we clearly are supposed to have 3 or more and since we don’t Walters sucks. So, what was the 3 receiver duo that was better when Williams was here?

Walters has smith who was a 2nd rounder from UCF.

 

before Williams we had outstanding WR too with Westy, Enunwa, couple others that are slipping my mind

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, ScottyIce said:

Walters has smith who was a 2nd rounder from UCF.

 

before Williams we had outstanding WR too with Westy, Enunwa, couple others that are slipping my mind

MGSd.mp4

giphy.gif

ElementaryTenderHapuku.mp4

 

 

Ring a Bell?

  • Plus1 3
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, cheekygeek said:

 

McQuitty's first game appearance was against BCU (0-0-0). As a Freshman I'm pretty sure he will be a 4 game redshirt.

 

Woodyard has appeared in 3 games and has 1 catch for 10 yds. As a junior, does he have a redshirt hear available?

 

 

 

Didn't McQuitty redshirt last year?

  • Plus1 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't think we should consider firing any coach for at least a couple years. It's crazy to think about how many different coaches some of these guys have played under.  These kids need some consistency.  That kind of thing weighs on the players. 

  • Plus1 1
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Husker2019 said:

Listening to one of the local radio stations the other day and they said our wide receivers have not improved since Scott Frost has arrived. Do you guys agree with this? With having such an elite wide receiver coach still living in Lincoln is there any way we can get Keith Williams back on the staff? 

 

I am also excluding Stanley Morgan and JD Spielman from this discussion since they are naturally gifted athletes.

What local show are we talking about?

I know nothing about assistant coaches abilities.....so I got nothin'.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, MyBloodIsRed16 said:

Didn't McQuitty redshirt last year?

Yes.  But I think it was because of injury if I remember correctly.  Does that count as a "medical" redshirt and he still has a "normal" redshirt to use?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, The Dude said:

 

Are you serious, Clark?

Kind of my thoughts exactly.  I dont remember reading or hearing about NFL receivers and other college receivers going to workout with Walters. 

 

Walters has coached some good receivers but when it comes to mechanics of the position,  Williams is considered the best in the game. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, funhusker said:

Yes.  But I think it was because of injury if I remember correctly.  Does that count as a "medical" redshirt and he still has a "normal" redshirt to use?

Nope. Last year was a RS. Have to use that before you can use a medical.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Stumpy1 said:

Kind of my thoughts exactly.  I dont remember reading or hearing about NFL receivers and other college receivers going to workout with Walters. 

 

Walters has coached some good receivers but when it comes to mechanics of the position,  Williams is considered the best in the game. 

So if a select group of dudes don’t come train with you in the off-season, you’re trash? Goodness. The guy was a Biletnikoff winner. He probably has a pretty good idea of what he is doing too. And this is coming from me, who loves williams and wanted him to stay on.

  • Plus1 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, ScottyIce said:

So if a select group of dudes don’t come train with you in the off-season, you’re trash? Goodness. The guy was a Biletnikoff winner. He probably has a pretty good idea of what he is doing too. And this is coming from me, who loves williams and wanted him to stay on.

Your reading comprehension is crap but its not surprising coming from you. 

 

Where in my statement did I mention Walters was a trash coach?  

 

I just said that Williams is considered the best in the buisness when it comes to the mechanics of the position.  That is why he has a number of players come and work with him during the offseason. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Stumpy1 said:

Your reading comprehension is crap but its not surprising coming from you. 

 

Where in my statement did I mention Walters was a trash coach?  

 

I just said that Williams is considered the best in the buisness when it comes to the mechanics of the position.  That is why he has a number of players come and work with him during the offseason. 

 

Got a source for that? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Stumpy1 said:

Your reading comprehension is crap but its not surprising coming from you. 

 

Where in my statement did I mention Walters was a trash coach?  

 

I just said that Williams is considered the best in the buisness when it comes to the mechanics of the position.  That is why he has a number of players come and work with him during the offseason. 

Fine, you didn’t say trash.

 

But, you’re implying he is better because a handful of NFL guys work with him in the off-season. I just don’t see that being a reason he is better. Again, I LOVED Williams here and still do, but you’re just throwing s#!t at the wall.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Um what?? I think the WR's have not only gotten better at their skill set, they also have developed the talent of blocking.

 

I live on the west coast and am familiar with Oregon football. I knew Frost was a good coach when he went to Oregon as a WR coach. Oregon for years had talented WR's but they were always underachieving. After Frosh arrived the first thing I noticed was they started blocking like crazy and they took extreme pride in blocking for their running backs. Following the sudden blocking mentality came big time wide receivers making big plays. Suddenly Oregon's WR unit was good and a major contributor to their success, this was in large part because of how Frost coached them and the mentality he instilled in them.

 

I've seen that take place already this year. Was it the Purdue game where Frost started playing back up WR's and these guys started blocking really well. You can see it. So I think our WR's are doing better than they ever have, JD's and Morgans stats also speak to their skill set success. Williams can join the staff in some way to be a recruiter, but as far as coaching WR's? No thanks, we are just fine in that category.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, lo country said:

In keeping with the OP, how about Marvin Sanders and Carl Pelini coming back when we start firing guys....

Are a bunch of hot cheerleaders available?

  • Plus1 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm all for giving the guy a fourth chance at another school, but I'd rather we have a coach that can legally rent a car on his recruiting trips.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, BoNeyard said:

Um what?? I think the WR's have not only gotten better at their skill set, they also have developed the talent of blocking.

 

I live on the west coast and am familiar with Oregon football. I knew Frost was a good coach when he went to Oregon as a WR coach. Oregon for years had talented WR's but they were always underachieving. After Frosh arrived the first thing I noticed was they started blocking like crazy and they took extreme pride in blocking for their running backs. Following the sudden blocking mentality came big time wide receivers making big plays. Suddenly Oregon's WR unit was good and a major contributor to their success, this was in large part because of how Frost coached them and the mentality he instilled in them.

 

I've seen that take place already this year. Was it the Purdue game where Frost started playing back up WR's and these guys started blocking really well. You can see it. So I think our WR's are doing better than they ever have, JD's and Morgans stats also speak to their skill set success. Williams can join the staff in some way to be a recruiter, but as far as coaching WR's? No thanks, we are just fine in that category.  

When WRs block it puts uncertainty into the defenders' heads. They don't like to be hit, and they are always wondering if the WR is heading out for a route or if the WR is going to drill them. This makes it easier to get open.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No one who ever coached with MR at Nebraska or elsewhere should ever be allowed to coach at Nebraska. The entire program was poison under MR. It is taking a long time to change the culture. Keep the poison away.

  • Plus1 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, MichiganDad3 said:

No one who ever coached with MR at Nebraska or elsewhere should ever be allowed to coach at Nebraska. The entire program was poison under MR. It is taking a long time to change the culture. Keep the poison away.

I’m with you. I don’t care if Williams is considered a great position coach, he was part of the worst staff in the modern history of NU.  I don’t want him back. 

  • Plus1 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Husker2019 said:

Listening to one of the local radio stations the other day and they said our wide receivers have not improved since Scott Frost has arrived. Do you guys agree with this? With having such an elite wide receiver coach still living in Lincoln is there any way we can get Keith Williams back on the staff? 

 

I am also excluding Stanley Morgan and JD Spielman from this discussion since they are naturally gifted athletes.

Keith...this is AWESOME

  • Plus1 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, MichiganDad3 said:

The entire program was poison under MR.

 

 

Including all the people and things involved when Sam Foltz passed away?

  • Plus1 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's just another thread about something that will never happen.  Frost will not be changing any coaches unless one leaves on their own to move up.

 

If they help turn around a second program, they'll get offers. They're here 2 to 3 years minimum.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, The Dude said:

I'd be all for it.  He's directly responsible for the best receiving duo in school history.  You always have to take the baggage into consideration.

 

He would also be largely responsible for the lack of anyone else behind those two, I believe.

  • Plus1 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Landlord said:

 

 

Including all the people and things involved when Sam Foltz passed away?

Mike Riley did what 99% of the coaches would have done in that situation. He handled it very well, but I don’t know if he handled it better than any other coach in college football would have. 

  • Plus1 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, Landlord said:

 

 

Including all the people and things involved when Sam Foltz passed away?

Are you going for an all-or-nothing argument: if Nebraska was able to cope with the death of Sam Foltz and commemorate one of its departed sons under MR, than MR was a good coach that did no harm to this program? Not a strong argument, and I would say shameful to try to use that tragedy to prove a point.

  • Plus1 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Thanks_Tom RR said:

Are you going for an all-or-nothing argument: if Nebraska was able to cope with the death of and commemorate one of its departed sons under MR, than MR was a good coach that did no harm to this program? Not a strong argument, and I would say shameful to try to use that tragedy to prove a point.

 

 

No. I'm not making the argument. @MichiganDad3 is making the argument.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Landlord said:

 

 

No. I'm not making the argument. @MichiganDad3 is making the argument.

The problem with most people who defend Mike Riley is that they consistently point to “off the field” items to show how good of a coach he is. Coaches are paid for their on the field results. 

  • Plus1 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

The problem with most people who defend Mike Riley is that they consistently point to “off the field” items to show how good of a coach he is. Coaches are paid for their on the field results. 

 

 

The problem I have with a statement like, "The entire program was poison under MR" is that it completely disrespects and trivializes all of the players that made huge sacrifices for their team, all of the coaches that gave back to the community and the university and the city, all of the moments and events that were incredibly important and impactful for people involved. 

 

Riley was bad at being a coach under a bad AD who failed in the most important part of his job expectations. We don't need to keep hyperbolizing it further and further and further. 

  • Plus1 1
  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, MichiganDad3 said:

No one who ever coached with MR at Nebraska or elsewhere should ever be allowed to coach at Nebraska. The entire program was poison under MR. It is taking a long time to change the culture. Keep the poison away.

 

Suck it, John Parrella. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, ADS said:

Boy this thread went about as good as expected.

No kidding...

 

Dear people...stop holding up SF as your shield of defense.  Clearly no one was bad mouthing the way Riley dealt with that and clearly every coach in America would have done the same thing and or similar thing.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Landlord said:

 

 

Including all the people and things involved when Sam Foltz passed away?

“Posion” is probably not a great word to use. Both Bo and Riley appeared to be good human beings. 

  • Plus1 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×