Ohio State Spread

One element that we are perhaps not realize is that the QB run game isn't really a thing for tOSU right now. This changes things a little bit.

2018: Yes, JT lit it up in the air, but he also had a couple big 3rd down runs for 1st downs. 10 carries 48 yards.

2017: JT had 8 carries for 39 yards and our starting QB went off in an ambulance that night.

Haskins has 35 carries for 56 yards on the season. Unless they end up playing Martell some, we do not have to worry about QB run game much at all.

Time's are a changin' boys. Just wait and see if you don't want to believe.

26 minutes ago, ScottyIce said:

One element that we are perhaps not realize is that the QB run game isn't really a thing for tOSU right now. This changes things a little bit.

2018: Yes, JT lit it up in the air, but he also had a couple big 3rd down runs for 1st downs. 10 carries 48 yards.

2017: JT had 8 carries for 39 yards and our starting QB went off in an ambulance that night.

Haskins has 35 carries for 56 yards on the season. Unless they end up playing Martell some, we do not have to worry about QB run game much at all.

Time's are a changin' boys. Just wait and see if you don't want to believe.

They don't seem to be interested in running the ball much at all.  I hope that trend continues.  

While I don't relish the idea of Haskins throwing 60 passes against NU's secondary a one dimensional offense is at least easier to prepare for.  

Hard not to imagine a high scoring game unless weather is a factor.

I think Urb refocuses the run game and Dobbins and Weber have big games.

Want to keep it close, tackle in space.   Purdue did that EXCEPTIONALLY well.  That is a concern with this team.  Safeties want to deliver one big hit while not wrapping up and a pair of corners who have appeared too many times in wanting nothing to do with a ball carrier(ie watch Bootle last Saturday).    Tackling will be huge Saturday.  

We’ll save the covering the slot problem for another day(Dobbins vs any defender is too scary to think about now)

Meyer has only lost ONE game after a bye week.  I do think we cover but I don't like or chances to win.  That said, his press conference didn't have the feel of a confident guy...  Maybe he is due for another "health problem".  If he loses this game he will need some bs excuse.

• Fire 1
7 hours ago, PaulCrewe said:

I think Urb refocuses the run game and Dobbins and Weber have big games.

Want to keep it close, tackle in space.   Purdue did that EXCEPTIONALLY well.  That is a concern with this team.  Safeties want to deliver one big hit while not wrapping up and a pair of corners who have appeared too many times in wanting nothing to do with a ball carrier(ie watch Bootle last Saturday).    Tackling will be huge Saturday.  

We’ll save the covering the slot problem for another day(Dobbins vs any defender is too scary to think about now)

It's very possible they do re-focus on the run game. They will have had two weeks to get that addressed. They still only have the 1 loss with Michigan still available as a potential win. They're not out of the title race, even if people are kinda acting that way. They'll want to get these things fixed with that in mind. They may get by a lot of teams with this offense, but they know both Michigan teams present a pretty steep defensive challenge.

Our defense is up against it, no question. We have to find ways of getting pressure without exposing our secondary. Most likely it's going to take some turnovers and the offense capitalizing on those. The offense is key to helping our defense. Can't have 17 yards in the first half. Scoring is obviously important, but at a minimum we must do a better job in terms of field position. They're very explosive, gotta make them earn it with long fields. If our offense is constantly starting inside the 20 and theirs at the 40 it's probably a long day for our defense.

9 hours ago, brophog said:

Our defense is up against it, no question. We have to find ways of getting pressure without exposing our secondary. Most likely it's going to take some turnovers and the offense capitalizing on those. The offense is key to helping our defense. Can't have 17 yards in the first half. Scoring is obviously important, but at a minimum we must do a better job in terms of field position. They're very explosive, gotta make them earn it with long fields. If our offense is constantly starting inside the 20 and theirs at the 40 it's probably a long day for our defense.

To the bolded, it's a pretty dismal situation. It's like our down linemen have only been coached the bull rush and the spin. They aren't athletic/quick enough for the spin. We need zone blitz packages for this game, but somehow I just don't think Chinander has it in him.

As much as it makes sense that Ohio State will have refocused on the run game, Haskins has a pretty accurate arm. Urban will target passes against #21 on defense and, with the relatively poor safety play we've seen so far, third a longs will be a breeze of OSU.

I don't see any chance of us winning unless we score 50.