Statistical Evidence of Biased Officiating Against Nebraska?

On 10/29/2018 at 8:05 AM, Moiraine said:

And the analysis didn’t do any statistical tests. 

Not true:

The Pearson’s R correlation for Penalties Per Game and Month is r = -0.688, p < .01 which indicates a significant and strong negative correlation between penalties and time ie refutes the null hypothesis that there’s no relationship between penalties per game and time.

Also, just because it doesn't use common statistical tests as part of the analysis doesn't mean it isn't an accurate analysis.

On 10/29/2018 at 8:27 AM, Moiraine said:

Also, he didn’t look at opp. penalties vs Nebraska compared to their penalties against other teams. 

Also not true: 

Over the 8 years Nebraska has been in the B1G they have the largest penalty differential observed where they average almost 10 yards per game more than the B1G. Ohio State is next closest at 7.69 all the way down to Iowa who experiences 11.37 less yards per game in penalties compared to the B1G average over the course of 8 years. This chart also hopefully dispels any myths regarding the notion that better teams with more skillful players have less penalties as you can see that teams seem to be distributed evenly. The charts for these data are below:

https://i.redd.it/c5q0xxepd1v11.png

As you can see Iowa seems to either have the most disciplined team in the B1G year to year or perhaps there's something more going on. 2015 and 2016 were the only two years they were above the B1G average and those differences were minor. No other team than Nebraska has had the same run of never having a penalty year below the B1G average in the last 8 years. Northwestern and Penn St are consistently under the average despite Iowa having the largest overall differential.

https://i.redd.it/kp88sn90e1v11.png

There's more about opponent penalties but I figured you could go read it yourself.

• Plus1 2

1 hour ago, RedDenver said:

Not true:

Also, just because it doesn't use common statistical tests as part of the analysis doesn't mean it isn't an accurate analysis.

Also not true: 

There's more about opponent penalties but I figured you could go read it yourself.

I was talking about statistical tests to show what he was trying to prove, and he didn’t do any at all. The one you’re quoting was a correlation between time of year and penalties and he said himself it was part of descriptive statistics.  It had nothing at all to do with the difference between Nebraska and the other teams. It was a baseline to show a trend in penalties over time in a season. It was to set up the actual topic he was getting to. I don’t consider correlation between time of year and # of penalties to be a statistical test for the difference in calls between Nebraska and other teams or bias against Nebraska, and it wasn’t supposed to be. 

No, he did not analyze opp. penalties against Nebraska vs opp. penalties compared to other teams. He admits himself he didn’t look at it in a comment. The average differential doesn’t tell what I’m talking about. It doesn’t tell whether teams are getting penalized against Nebraska less than they are against other teams. You need to look at the games to see that.

A team that gets few penalties could be more biased against and this measure wouldn’t tell it. A team could have a -3 when they should have a -6 based on what they and their opponents normally do. A team with a -3 penalty differential could hypothetically have less opponent penalties called than a team with a +3 penalty differential. The opp. penalties vs Nebraska needs to be compared to opp. penalties vs other teams. The mere avg difference doesn’t give all of the information. I may have worded my statement poorly but that’s what I’m talking about.

To use an exaggerated example, if Nebraska gets penalized 20 times per game and their opponents average 5 penalites per game against them, they have a 15 penalty differential. But maybe all of those teams against each other are getting between 3 and 7 penalties. They are still getting called for about the same number of penalties as they were against Nebraska. To show what I’m talking about you’d need to show that the 5 is too small. Obviously the 20 is too big but it could be the team sucks a**.

Then you could have Penn State averaging 2 penalties per game and maybe against them teams get 3 penalties per game. But normally the opponents average 5 against other teams. Penn State is -1 but they’re possibly still getting screwed because they should be -3 if opponents were called for their avg # of penalties against PSU. (Although the difference btw -1 and -3 might not be statistically significant).

I never said the analysis wasn’t accurate. I said it’s not a statistical analysis, because it’s not. I even said it didn’t show further analysis wasn’t appropriate. It shows that it probably is. I might look at the opp penalties vs Nebraska compared to against other opponents myself to see if there is a big difference. Just another example, our difference in penalties was big vs NW and IIRC they had 1 penalty but they averaged 3.2 at the time so it may not have been a significant difference. 

• Plus1 1
23 hours ago, VectorVictor said:

That was the group that we had for the Iowa State game and one other game...and the calls were something like 33-9 or 39-9 in favor of the three teams we played against. 

But hey, when the same group of officials aren't going to call an aTm player for blatantly punching one of our kids in the (Cotton) balls, and the conference failed to do anything about it, are we really shocked? I mean, it's this kind of behavior (among other things) that led to us leaving in the first place...

The infamous Greg Burke and crew.

• Plus1 3
On 10/30/2018 at 9:40 AM, Landlord said:

It is?

It was a contributing factor. Or did we forget the screwjob from the '09 Big XII Title Game already? Or when Crouch had two 4th quarter crunch-time complete passes back-to-back called incomplete in Austin to kill our final drive? The same two that made Brent Musberger, who is no fan of Nebraska, question the officiating live on air (because the calls were so bad)?

Honestly, the history with officiating in the Big XII is iffy at best. The Greg Burke screwjobs pretty much encapsulate what was complained about and documented for years re: Big XII officiating. 

Now, am I saying officiating was a major factor? No. 

Am I saying officiating was the only mitigating factor in us choosing to move? F*** no.

But it was one of the proverbial toppings of the s**t sundae that the Big XII became. 

• Plus1 1

In collage I learned in stats class anything can be proven using math to show your hypnosis is correct.  The fact remains that no holding calls in two years in the Big 10 can't  be because other teams don't hold players from Nebraska.  They just don't call them.  Holding can be called on any play in the game and is one of the most call penalties in the game.  How many times has Nebraska been called for a penalty when it matters to most.  I strongly believe that we have been on the wrong end of many calls that have changed the momentum and the final outcome of the game.  

• Plus1 1

1 hour ago, Whs from cb said:

In collage I learned in stats class anything can be proven using math to show your hypnosis is correct.

People often think they learn lots of things they are completely wrong about. Thinking you learned something doesn’t mean you’re right.

E.g. in stats or spelling class you think you learned how to spell hypothesis.

2 hours ago, Whs from cb said:

In collage I learned in stats class anything can be proven using math to show your hypnosis is correct.  

giphy.gif

You are getting sleepy...when I snap my fingers, you will now believe you've learned *LOTS* of things, even though they're all wrong...

Also, an obligatory song that covers this topic:

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 2
  • 1 year later...
2 hours ago, BlitzFirst said:

We didn't have room because of all the conference titles and national championship trophies...maybe we'll get one someday right?

Sorry for resurrecting the thread but I just watched the Minnesota game where we got the first holding call on pass plays in 21 games and it made me remember this thread.

The Big XII is willing to issue apologies to Iowa State because they a) haven't been a threat until recently and b) Texass needed them as part of their voting block in the past. 

Now that ship has sailed and Oklahoma, Texass, and Kansas are keeping their GOR from being renewed, plus Iowa State is a threat to Texass, I sincerely doubt they'll receive any more apology letters. 

• Plus1 2

Sometimes it funny how crazy you guys get.. i had to check this topic out because well its so insane that someone would waste their time compiling this crap.... until a time machine is invented (it hasn't yet because nobody from the future has visited us yet) stop wasting your time

14 hours ago, VectorVictor said:

The Big XII is willing to issue apologies to Iowa State because they a) haven't been a threat until recently and b) Texass needed them as part of their voting block in the past. 

Now that ship has sailed and Oklahoma, Texass, and Kansas are keeping their GOR from being renewed, plus Iowa State is a threat to Texass, I sincerely doubt they'll receive any more apology letters. 

What was ohio state's reason?