On this day...

Mavric

First two drives on Saturday were 9 passes and 4 runs.  Are we using the run to set up the pass?  Or...the pass to set up the run???

Actually, from what I've heard coaches say and what I've read about this offense, it's neither.  The OC and QB do what the defense gives them.  If the defense comes out with 7-9 guys in the box all day long, we are going to pass all over the place.  If they have 4-6 guys in the box, we are going to run all over them.

1 hour ago, BigRedBuster said:

First two drives on Saturday were 9 passes and 4 runs.  Are we using the run to set up the pass?  Or...the pass to set up the run???

Actually, from what I've heard coaches say and what I've read about this offense, it's neither.  The OC and QB do what the defense gives them.  If the defense comes out with 7-9 guys in the box all day long, we are going to pass all over the place.  If they have 4-6 guys in the box, we are going to run all over them.

Although the rhetoric from the staff is that "this offense takes what the defense gives them," I don't think that's what's actually been going on in the last four games. 

It seems like Frost has intentionally worked towards the bolded starting with Wisconsin. And it has worked. 

In our first four games we tried a lot of inside zone running with a bit of QB run sprinkled in there in the first half. The first quarter in all of our last four games has looked much better than the first four. The quick edge passes start to soften up the running lanes after just one touchdown drive, love how Frost has been doing that. And we have a quarterback that can zip those passes in there quickly with good arm strength; that's another reason it has been working so well.

And on that note...how strong is 2AM's arm going to be two seasons from now???? Holy cow.