'Set The Tone': How Nebraska Plans To Make The NCAA Tournament

https://theathletic.com/583702/2018/10/12/set-the-tone-how-nebraska-plans-to-make-the-ncaa-tournament/

At 1:51 p.m. on Sunday, June 3, the gray bubble appeared in Tim Miles’ text message history with his senior point guard. The night before, the Cornhuskers coach had sent Watson a picture of the two of them smiling on the sideline during a game, and Watson had responded with the phrase Last ride and a 100 emoji. Miles expected that was that for a while, conversation-wise. It was not. Watson had one more thing to say the next afternoon, unprompted by anything but the compulsion to get the idea out into the world, as if saying it would finally make it so, and because a bum ankle otherwise limited his delivery options.

Ready to lead and be a Captain of this group and take the responsibility of getting this team far in the tournament, coach, Watson wrote. No one asked for such a pledge. No one expected it from a player who was more example-setter than shouter in the three preceding years. But a backhand from the NCAA Tournament selection committee meant there was no easing into anything anymore in Lincoln. Leaving nothing to chance leaves nobody to blame. Nebraska had learned to look out for Nebraska, knowing too well no one else would. “I just felt like I was ready to be in command,” Watson said, standing outside the main ballroom at Big Ten media day on Thursday. “This year I want to set the tone. It’s straight business.”

• Plus1 2