Tim Miles Hot Seat Watch

16 minutes ago, BlitzFirst said:

Uh...Osborne beat up on everyone in a weak league until the Oklahoma game.  Not to take away from this accomplishment.  TM has been in the B1G and they have been up since before we came in.

Playing in the Big 12 and Big 8 in basketball wasn't as challenging as the B1G in my opinion.  So if TM has the same record as Doc, I say good for him...that's hard to do in a league that's up compared to one that has just a few power teams at the top.

Tom Osborne didn't lose to Gardner-Webb, and  Incarnate Word....

My point is, Miles has more than earned the criticism he has received. In his 7th year, there are still times we look like we don't have a plan offensively, and still too many times where Tim botches game management situations. Two winning seasons in six years, when he has as good of basketball facilities as anyone in the country to sell to recruits. 

I like Tim, and having said all that, things look to be trending up as a program. I think next year could be a little rough, but if he and the team can stay above water in the 2019-20 season, I think 2020-21 could have a chance to be special again.

11 minutes ago, B.B. Hemingway said:

Tom Osborne didn't lose to Gardner-Webb, and  Incarnate Word....

My point is, Miles has more than earned the criticism he has received. In his 7th year, there are still times we look like we don't have a plan offensively, and still too many times where Tim botches game management situations. Two winning seasons in six years, when he has as good of basketball facilities as anyone in the country to sell to recruits. 

I like Tim, and having said all that, things look to be trending up as a program. I think next year could be a little rough, but if he and the team can stay above water in the 2019-20 season, I think 2020-21 could have a chance to be special again.

Hmmm....would there be any difference between the conditions of each program the two coaches took over?

14 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Hmmm....would there be any difference between the conditions of each program the two coaches took over?

Maybe, Osbourne took over a year after they had won back to back championships & Miles took over when the program was just short of a dumpster fire.

32 minutes ago, B.B. Hemingway said:

when he has as good of basketball facilities as anyone in the country to sell to recruits.

Facilities are important, but they are not a panacea.  Cameron Indoor & Allen Fieldhouse are dumps but Duke & Kansas get great players every year because they are dumps with tradition.  The second & third tier of players like shiny new facilities, but the top tier likes tradition more so they go to Duke, Kansas, Kentucky, UNC, etc.

1 hour ago, BlitzFirst said:

Uh...Osborne beat up on everyone in a weak league until the Oklahoma game.  Not to take away from this accomplishment.  TM has been in the B1G and they have been up since before we came in.

Playing in the Big 12 and Big 8 in basketball wasn't as challenging as the B1G in my opinion.  So if TM has the same record as Doc, I say good for him...that's hard to do in a league that's up compared to one that has just a few power teams at the top.

Actually, the Big XII was tougher under Doc than the B1G has been for Miles

On 4/24/2017 at 1:30 PM, Mavric said:

Conference RPI by year:

Year - B1G - Big 8/XII - Huskers Conference Record

Danny Nee

94-95 - .5534 - .5982

95-96 - .5657 - .5719

96-97 - .5656 - .5687

97-98 - .5598 - .5480

98-99 - .5635 - .5614

99-00 - .5891 - .5398

00-01 - .5635 - .5614

Barry Collier

01-02 - .5543 - .5604 - 6-9

02-03 - .5586 - .5791 - 3-13

03-04 - .5468 - .5623 - 6-10

04-05 - .5594 - .5694 - 7-9

05-06 - .5802 - .5566 - 7-9

06-07 - .5693 - .5566 - 6-10

Doc Sadler

07-08 - .5466 - .5663 - 7-9

08-09 - .5823 - .5604 - 8-8

09-10 - .5476 - .5993 - 2-14

10-11 - .5748 - .5726 - 7-9

11-12 - .5769 - .5650 - 4-14 *Huskers first year in B1G

Tim Miles

12-13 - .5772 - .5581 - 5-13

13-14 - .5737 - .5812 - 11-7

14-15 - .5633 - .5848 - 5-13

15-16 - .5515 - .5884 - 6-12

16-17 - .5667 - .5748 - 6-12

Under Nee (for time frame available), the B1G was better four out of 7 years. B1G Average: .5658; Big 8/XII Average: .5642

Under Collier, the Big XII was better 4 out of 6 years. B1G: .5614; Big XII: .5640

Under Sadler, the B1G was better 3 out of 5 years. B1G: .5656; Big XII: .5727

Under Miles, the Big XII has been better 4 out of 5 years. B1G: .5664; Big XII: .5774

Under Miles, the B1G Average RPI has been .5664. Under the other three coaches (all but one year in the BiG XII), the Big XII was .5642, .5640 and .5727 for an overall average of .5665.

So, generally speaking, the B1G was slightly tougher under Miles than the Big XII was for Nee and Collier, though the Big XII was noticeably tougher for Sadler.

Overall, there is hardly enough distinction in the overall toughness to even be brought up.

18 minutes ago, Mavric said:

Actually, the Big XII was tougher under Doc than the B1G has been for Miles

I have had season tickets through all these coaches.  I like Nee, but his teams played street ball absolutely very little X&Os. Similar to Tim, except we now have a defense.  Other than Kansas, the Big 8 & Big 12 for the most part could not compete in the Big 10. May be Oklahoma, Iowa St, Kansas St. or Texas on a given year or 2.

Why are people acting like Miles wasn't almost canned last year?  And the year before?

The dude has 9 lives right now...that is awesome for him.  But even with a great season and making the dance it isn't like he all of a sudden learned how to coach.  The guy has been coaching for 20 years and been a HC for what, 15-20 years?  Dude is a .500 coach (or so?)

The reason this year looks good is because of two transfers (lucky to have them and that is a compliment but getting awesome transfers is lucky) and a 4 year PG.

• Thanks 1
11 minutes ago, SouthLincoln Husker said:

I have had season tickets through all these coaches.  I like Nee, but his teams played street ball absolutely very little X&Os. Similar to Tim, except we now have a defense.  Other than Kansas, the Big 8 & Big 12 for the most part could not compete in the Big 10. May be Oklahoma, Iowa St, Kansas St. or Texas on a given year or 2.

You're free to have your opinion.  The numbers say otherwise.

2 minutes ago, teachercd said:

Why are people acting like Miles wasn't almost canned last year?  And the year before?

The dude has 9 lives right now...that is awesome for him.  But even with a great season and making the dance it isn't like he all of a sudden learned how to coach.  The guy has been coaching for 20 years and been a HC for what, 15-20 years?  Dude is a .500 coach (or so?)

The reason this year looks good is because of two transfers (lucky to have them and that is a compliment but getting awesome transfers is lucky) and a 4 year PG.

Fair points- I just find it curious to hear the loudest complaining (that I have heard) coming at the time the team seems to be doing the best it has under TM.  Maybe I have been under a rock or just not paying attention since the teams wasn't news worthy a couple years ago.

1 minute ago, Hilltop said:

Fair points- I just find it curious to hear the loudest complaining (that I have heard) coming at the time the team seems to be doing the best it has under TM.  Maybe I have been under a rock or just not paying attention since the teams wasn't news worthy a couple years ago.

I get it, I do.  

But some of these fans pretending like Miles has been doing some sweet job at NU are crazy.  

If you (not you, but fans) think he is replacements for Palmer, Watson and Copeland on the bench...you (again, not you) are nuts.  

3 hours ago, Hilltop said:

Leave it to the Husker Fan Base... we even called for Tom's head during several times in his career.

A couple people in this thread are reminding me of K-State fans reacting to the Klieman hire. Maybe that would be a more appropriate program for them to follow...

• Plus1 1
14 minutes ago, teachercd said:

Its a mixed bag. I get why people dont understand the hate for Miles now with this team(that he built) but again, most realize this is a flash in the pan. The team next year should probably be picked to be in the bottom 6 of the Big depending on Dachon Burke.

Miles has done a nice job of finding transfers but he hasnt been able to get 4 year guys to grow. It seems like the guys talents dont grow under Miles.

The major issue is Miles is VERY likeable. I have said it over and over again.. I love Miles but that doesnt stop me from being frustrated with how our offense is run. 

I hope Miles is given a chance to run as far as he can with this team but I am concerned games like Texas Tech or 2nd half of MN will continue to show that this team is beatable. 

• Plus1 2
2 minutes ago, Minnesota_husker said:

Its a mixed bag. I get why people dont understand the hate for Miles now with this team(that he built) but again, most realize this is a flash in the pan. The team next year should probably be picked to be in the bottom 6 of the Big depending on Dachon Burke.

Miles has done a nice job of finding transfers but he hasnt been able to get 4 year guys to grow. It seems like the guys talents dont grow under Miles.

The major issue is Miles is VERY likeable. I have said it over and over again.. I love Miles but that doesnt stop me from being frustrated with how our offense is run. 

I hope Miles is given a chance to run as far as he can with this team but I am concerned games like Texas Tech or 2nd half of MN will continue to show that this team is beatable. 

You did a much better job articulating what I was trying to post (I am sure you will still get a eye rolling dude for your post though)