Tim Miles Hot Seat Watch

The next 4 games will give him a chance to show he belongs.  It's a rough stretch against some good opponents.  My guess is we win one or two of the next 4 but sure would be nice to see us take 3 of them.  Kind of weird coaching last night- I think he is feeling the pressure and it's showing through the players on the court.  

• Fire 1
1 hour ago, Hilltop said:

The next 4 games will give him a chance to show he belongs.  It's a rough stretch against some good opponents.  My guess is we win one or two of the next 4 but sure would be nice to see us take 3 of them.  Kind of weird coaching last night- I think he is feeling the pressure and it's showing through the players on the court.  

In his interview, he said that it was his asst. coaches that told him not to sub.  The problem is that I see Cope wearing out and Palmer, Watson & Allen's shots were short at the end of the game. We were lucky to hang on last night.

Washut had a few interesting tidbits regardinjng Miles today during the RSS live chat. 

Someone asked if Miles will be the Coach next year and Washut said it depends on if Moos gives him a multi-year deal. He doesn’t think Miles will stick around for another one year prove it deal. 

The most interesting part was someone asked about the relationship between miles and moos. Washut “lets just say they haven’t gone out for beers yet, and probably won’t anytime soon.” 

• Plus1 1
23 minutes ago, SUHperman said:

Washut had a few interesting tidbits regardinjng Miles today during the RSS live chat. 

Someone asked if Miles will be the Coach next year and Washut said it depends on if Moos gives him a multi-year deal. He doesn’t think Miles will stick around for another one year prove it deal. 

The most interesting part was someone asked about the relationship between miles and moos. Washut “lets just say they haven’t gone out for beers yet, and probably won’t anytime soon.” 

For me that is fine if they mutually want to part ways I have no problem with that.  If Nebraska makes it to week 2 of the NCAA tournament are you going to fire  that coach?  I don't know?  Be careful what you wish for, you just might get it. 

4 minutes ago, NUinID said:

If Nebraska makes it to week 2 of the NCAA tournament are you going to fire  that coach? 

No.

We could end this year with 23 wins.  That would mean over the last two years, we are 45 -19.  If they have that and make it to the sweet 16, you don't fire that coach.....especially with the history (or lack there of) of our program.

1 hour ago, BigRedBuster said:

No.

We could end this year with 23 wins.  That would mean over the last two years, we are 45 -19.  If they have that and make it to the sweet 16, you don't fire that coach.....especially with the history (or lack there of) of our program.

If we end the regular season with 23 wins, win one in the conference tournament & make the sweet 16 that would be 26 wins & tie the school record. 

I don't see how you could fire him or give him another one year "prove it" extension either.  I know Moos has said he wants consistency but with all the upperclassmen they have it might be difficult to replicate the same success next year.

1 hour ago, BigRedBuster said:

No.

I've changed my mind on this as the season has progressed, but I don't think you fire Miles if we win 22-24 games, even if we lose in the first round of the tourney. He's got some impressive talent coming in, and I really like where Thomas Allen's game is going. Next year is going to be really interesting, especially if Roby hangs around (which I think he will).

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 2

20 minutes ago, B.B. Hemingway said:

I've changed my mind on this as the season has progressed, but I don't think you fire Miles if we win 22-24 games, even if we lose in the first round of the tourney. He's got some impressive talent coming in, and I really like where Thomas Allen's game is going. Next year is going to be really interesting, especially if Roby hangs around (which I think he will).

Moos seems to have his agenda, with the one year contract extension being basically the Big Hint.  Honestly.  This is not a basketball school, but T.M. is proving he has needed a talent upgrade and things are moving along pretty well. 

If we win 23 games and win at least one tourney game, it will be interesting to see what happens in recruiting. 

I really like the guys we have coming in. We might have an entire team of 6’3”-6’5” players though. 

If if we can prove we are a competitor, it should be easier to lure big guys. Grad transfer would be awesome. 

• Plus1 1
On 1/7/2019 at 3:25 PM, Minnesota_husker said:

I think most people who want Miles gone seem to agree that it is because we have seen the same thing over and over again. 

I think it is pretty apparent he just isnt that great of an X's and O's coach. He has done a great job of getting talent in here but has only had 1 maybe 2 good seasons... I think this team is still very good this year and while the 3 losses bug me, they were all on the road and honestly they were correctable things. This isnt a dumpster fire, we can correct some things and make the dance. This years team isnt my concern.....

My concern is Miles ability to bring in young talented guys and coach them up. My concern is a team like next year where we will most likely lose 90% of our points. My thought is it is a perfect time to hit reset with a new coach. I dont know how you could fire Miles especially if he wins a tourney game but I just think we know what he brings to the table and I would love to see Nebraska try and take the next step.

That all said, Miles is a good, personable dude. I just think some fans let that cloud the fact he isnt a great coach.

Having watched 4 years of Craig Smith at USD very closely (Miles' top assistant for 10 years between NDSU, CSU, and Nebraska) it was very apparent that X's and O's weren't his strength. He was able to be the "hype man" type of guy who got some great talent to campus, but he was always prone to being outcoached by his opponents. Lots of disappointing losses when you knew the other team had less talent. Sounds pretty similar to what has been going on here.

11 hours ago, mrandyk said:

Having watched 4 years of Craig Smith at USD very closely (Miles' top assistant for 10 years between NDSU, CSU, and Nebraska) it was very apparent that X's and O's weren't his strength. He was able to be the "hype man" type of guy who got some great talent to campus, but he was always prone to being outcoached by his opponents. Lots of disappointing losses when you knew the other team had less talent. Sounds pretty similar to what has been going on here.

Thats interesting because some people felt like Craig was what helped "Stir the drink" for Miles in terms of offense. I havent paid close attention to what he has done at USD.

Miles has his moments mainly on the defensive side where he can do a great job of in game coaching especially with when to use the 1-3-1.

The offense actually looked pretty fluid against Indiana.

Still need to prove we can beat teams with a true big man down low but the Indiana game gave me hope for something better this season.

I still think Miles is who he is but occasionally he will give you games like @Indiana where he gives you hope. 

• Fire 1