Tim Miles Hot Seat Watch

59 minutes ago, Jeepy said:

The basketball program might inch up a bit in respectability, but Nebraska will likely never be a Kansas or Duke, etc, in a perennial manner as they are, unless we can attract a coach who is two things:  1.  Proven in a major conference, 2.  Willing to leave an already proven bb program for .. a-hem, Nebraska. 

The history of the football program is not a good analogy and we know why.  The history of Nebraska compared to Kansas in football and basketball is pretty plain. 

Perhaps 25 years from now.. when Omaha is 5.5 million people and Lincoln is 1.5 million.  ??

Never say never, right?  But you know what I mean.  

In other words, remind us again:  why fire Miles? 

No one expects us to be Kansas at basketball. But there are a lot of perennial football schools who are also very good at basketball. Sure not gonna win a natty but still very good b-ball teams. Florida, Texas, Ohio state, Michigan, Wisconsin, Oregon, Oklahoma, usc. I could go on all day. 

With our facilities, money and fan support the only way we will continue to suck at b-ball is if we accept it because we always have. 

On flip side there is also basketball schools who have become consistent at football. Michigan state is great example. Top notch basketball school. Have been very competitive at football the last 10 years. 

To say our basketball program has always been bad so why try is horrible out look. Boise state had great run in football before Peterson left, UCF recently. Nebraska basketball has the infrastructure to succeed at b-ball- we need the coach to take the next step 

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1
1 hour ago, Jeepy said:

The basketball program might inch up a bit in respectability, but Nebraska will likely never be a Kansas or Duke, etc, in a perennial manner as they are, unless we can attract a coach who is two things:  1.  Proven in a major conference, 2.  Willing to leave an already proven bb program for .. a-hem, Nebraska. 

The history of the football program is not a good analogy and we know why.  The history of Nebraska compared to Kansas in football and basketball is pretty plain. 

Perhaps 25 years from now.. when Omaha is 5.5 million people and Lincoln is 1.5 million.  ??

Because we can do better than a career .500 coach

• Plus1 2
44 minutes ago, Jeepy said:

The analogy comparing Kansas football to Nebraska basketball holds up until you start discussing facilities. Kansas is behind the arms race when it comes to football, and, much like Purdue did a couple of years ago, the school has finally invested tens of million dollars to upgrade the football facilities to at least make it competitive with other Big 12 schools (otherwise you don't get Les Miles as a coach). Nebraska, on the other hand, has 'top 10 in the nation' basketball facilities. Miles has had sufficient time to prove himself-----and now it is time to move on.

I don't follow the mid majors much, but Nate Oates from Buffalo might deserve a longer look. In his 3 previous seasons at Buffalo, the Bulls have made the NCAA tournament twice and have a tournament victory (that's right, the Buffalo Bulls have more tournament wins than the Huskers). He was a successful High School coach in the Detroit area, before Bobby Hurley hired him as an assistant to Buffalo. He took over when Hurley left for ASU. This season he is 17-1 and currently ranked 14th (they are losing to Northern Illinois tonight). 

Marshall is having a down year at WSU and may be able to be pried from Wichita. But he makes 3.5 million and is good through 2022. It would take 4 million at least and, as someone else pointed out, that wasn't enough to get him to Alabama. Of course that was coming off a 37-1 season. As a contrast Oats makes 600K a year. However, I would not pinch pennies on this hire. 

I think at this time it would be in this order.

1. Eric Musselman

2. Nate Oats 

3. Dana Altman

4. Greg Marshall

Altman and Marshall need to be on every list. I can't see us firing a winning coach for Greg Marshall who will be coming off a losing season. Although there is time for him to turn it around. Altman may need a change a scenery if he does not make it to the tourney. Everyone in Nebraska wanted him last year and so I will put him on there. 

Oats has had a lot of success but has little experience, so we take a risk with him. But it is high-risk high reward type, we either get a big time up and comer or we are still winning half our games. Musselman has won every season he has been at Nevada. He has a plethora of experience coaching at every level and would be a big get for us. He has spent time with many legendary minds of the game and he would do well here. This is why I have him at number 1 on the board, he made a sweet sixteen and his teams play hard and have talent. Eric also recruits well and can find grad transfers that are the missing pieces to a team. Honestly, you can't go wrong with any of those guys on that list. 

• Plus1 2
11 hours ago, teachercd said:

This is such a good post.  

If you know absolutely nothing about basketball then yes it's a great post.

Anyone who actually thinks Miles is on the hot-seat right now is nuts or has zero idea of what Nebraska Basketball looked like 8 years ago.

It's very likely if we're looking for a new coach next year, it's not because Miles was fired but because he took a different job due to the amount of people in this fanbase who have zero idea what reality is.

• Haha 1
4 hours ago, Blackshirt316 said:

Anyone who actually thinks Miles is on the hot-seat right now is nuts or has zero idea of what Nebraska Basketball looked like 8 years ago.

It's very likely if we're looking for a new coach next year, it's not because Miles was fired but because he took a different job due to the amount of people in this fanbase who have zero idea what reality is.

Is that you Tim Miles? Cause you and opposing coaches seem to be the only people who think miles the guy for Nebraska. 

I remember opposing coaches had a lot of nice things to say about mike Riley too. I bet they wish he was still here instead of frost too

• Plus1 3
  • Fire 1
4 hours ago, Blackshirt316 said:

I think you’ve missed what is happening in the athletic department. No longer is what happened in the past the acceptable way to view things. No longer the fact that football “was great in the 90s,” is a justifiable way to allow it to continue to wallow in mediocrity. On the same note, no longer is the fact that Nebraska basketball, “has never been very good,” a justifiable excuse to let it continue to be poor.  Moos isn’t one to accept a defeatist attitude in any sport, let alone one of the three revenue generating versions. It’s not like it’ll cost the U a lot in renovations and rebranding, etc, it’s all already in place, we are only lacking the right guy which can and will be easily remedied in short order. 

• Plus1 1
6 hours ago, Blackshirt316 said:

Mrs. Miles, I am not trying to be disrespectful to your husband.

8 years ago Husker basketball was pretty much where it is 8 years later.  I think, I am not 100% sure, that Sadler might have even had a better overall record in comparison to your husband.

• Plus1 3
  • Haha 4

7 hours ago, Blackshirt316 said:

Image result for Yeah ok gif

• Plus1 1
7 hours ago, Blackshirt316 said:

Thank you for your interest in Nebraska athletics. 

• Plus1 1