Tim Miles Hot Seat Watch

14 minutes ago, Tim Miles*Alum said:

Nebraska’s last (non Tim Miles) tournament appearance was in 1986. When he took over the program he had kids like Brandon Ubel on his roster. He’s a bum. His first 2 years were spent playing with Doc saddlers Bums. His next 2 years he had to take transfers(most of which were buried somewhere else for a reason)to try and win to convince quality players NU was even worth coming too and made the tournament. He then had 2 of those transfer declare for the draft and not get picked after investing 2 years in them. Petteway  is average on a bad European team now. pitchford doesn’t even play anymore. He had White, another transfer, graduate and leave after investing 2 years and degree into him. He also had to deal with Morrow and Jacobson transfer after they believed they should be swingman. What positions do they play now? They aren’t very good at their natural positions! After taking all of this into account, NU should be giving this guy a 20 year contract. NU hasn’t been good at any sport outside of Volleyball since the 90’s. Y’all need to chill. If you think Tim Miles should be fried, you don’t understand what it takes to build a program. After taking over Doc Saddler’s bum roster and putting NU on a path to making them kind of a desirable place to play basketball, he should be praised. Remember, it’s still Nebraska. A white republican state with less than 2 million people. Majority of talented basketball players do not fit that mold. Go Tim Miles

I feel like you don't understand what it takes to build paragraphs.  

• Haha 5
19 minutes ago, RedSavage said:

So then you should be able to answer the question that we are all dying to know; what's the excuse for this pathetic thing that Tim calls an offense every year?

No excuse. I played on very offensively talented teams for him. 

18 minutes ago, teachercd said:

I feel like you don't understand what it takes to build paragraphs.  

I don’t. I went to school for hoops. 

• Plus1 2
  • Haha 2

42 minutes ago, ECisGod said:

So shooting percentage is the only way to improve?  He was a much better defender & rebounder by his senior year. 

Looking at rebounds, per 40 minutes, his rebounding totals actually regressed from freshman to senior year: from 7.2 to 6.6. 

For defense, in terms of basic metrics, his blocks and steals stats were basically static from freshman year to senior year (blocks: .4 to .4 per 40 min, steals: 1.1 to 1.7 per 40).  In terms of advanced metrics, his defensive rating marginally improved from 102.5 to 103.1 from freshman to senior year, his defensive win shares grew from .9 to 1.2 and his overall defensive plus/minus was 1.6 FR year, 2.0 SO year, 2.0 JR year, and 1.6 his SR year. 

42 minutes ago, Tim Miles*Alum said:

Nebraska’s last (non Tim Miles) tournament appearance was in 1986. When he took over the program he had kids like Brandon Ubel on his roster. He’s a bum. His first 2 years were spent playing with Doc saddlers Bums. His next 2 years he had to take transfers(most of which were buried somewhere else for a reason)to try and win to convince quality players NU was even worth coming too and made the tournament. He then had 2 of those transfer declare for the draft and not get picked after investing 2 years in them. Petteway  is average on a bad European team now. pitchford doesn’t even play anymore. He had White, another transfer, graduate and leave after investing 2 years and degree into him. He also had to deal with Morrow and Jacobson transfer after they believed they should be swingman. What positions do they play now? They aren’t very good at their natural positions! After taking all of this into account, NU should be giving this guy a 20 year contract. NU hasn’t been good at any sport outside of Volleyball since the 90’s. Y’all need to chill. If you think Tim Miles should be fried, you don’t understand what it takes to build a program. After taking over Doc Saddler’s bum roster and putting NU on a path to making them kind of a desirable place to play basketball, he should be praised. Remember, it’s still Nebraska. A white republican state with less than 2 million people. Majority of talented basketball players do not fit that mold. Go Tim Miles

• Plus1 3
42 minutes ago, Tim Miles*Alum said:

1986 was the FIRST time they made the tournament (Moe Iba was coach).  They made the tournament in 1991-94 & 1998.  Since you majored in Basketball, I will assume that you don't know those years are all after 1986.

• Plus1 4
  • Haha 4
7 minutes ago, Cdog923 said:

Looking at rebounds, per 40 minutes, his rebounding totals actually regressed from freshman to senior year: from 7.2 to 6.6. 

For defense, in terms of basic metrics, his blocks and steals stats were basically static from freshman year to senior year (blocks: .4 to .4 per 40 min, steals: 1.1 to 1.7 per 40).  In terms of advanced metrics, his defensive rating marginally improved from 102.5 to 103.1 from freshman to senior year, his defensive win shares grew from .9 to 1.2 and his overall defensive plus/minus was 1.6 FR year, 2.0 SO year, 2.0 JR year, and 1.6 his SR year. 

I'm not talking about numbers.  I'm basing it on observation.  As a freshman, he played defense with his hands and picked up fouls.  As a senior he played defense with his feet and avoided fouls (a lesson Roby could stand to learn).  I'm sure you will come back with some stat showing he fouled more per 40 minutes, but he also guarded better players as a senior.  I'm a math guy (accounting degree, math minor), but you can find stats to prove just about anything.

3 minutes ago, ECisGod said:

I'm not talking about numbers.  I'm basing it on observation.  As a freshman, he played defense with his hands and picked up fouls.  As a senior he played defense with his feet and avoided fouls (a lesson Roby could stand to learn).  I'm sure you will come back with some stat showing he fouled more per 40 minutes, but he also guarded better players as a senior.  I'm a math guy (accounting degree, math minor), but you can find stats to prove just about anything.

If you're a math guy, then I would assume you would appreciate hard data rather than subjective observation. 

Regardless, there's no way to quantify the amount of improvement (if any) Shields underwent due to Miles, or due to his own hard work. There is, however, a staggering amount of evidence to show that a majority of players during the Miles era have remained static in terms of their growth and development during their time in the program. 

Just now, Hedley Lamarr said:

when did Tim have good offensive teams? 

I'm not in this fight.  I just wanted to see what the message board husker hoops player has to say.

As far as I'm concerned he's never had a good offense.  He's had the same pathetic O since he's been here.  It worked when Petteway was hot.  It worked when Sheilds was hot and it worked when Palmer was hot.  The rest of the time it's JV.