Tim Miles Hot Seat Watch

3 minutes ago, SouthLincoln Husker said:

Please moos, fire miles.  

NOW

You did a 180!

Just now, Mavric said:

His seat isn't even hot.  He's out.  He knows it. 

Nothing gained by firing him now.  Moos has the next few weeks to work on his replacement.

I would imagine it is actually easier for Moos to operate while Miles is still the coach.  Once Miles is canned, rumors kick into super over drive.

• Plus1 1

https://theathletic.com/806764/2019/02/08/shot-takers-vol-13-sleeper-final-four-teams-who-has-disappointed-and-the-curse-of-brian-hamilton/

Dana: I agree, plus Edwards is exactly the kind of player you need in March. A guy not afraid to shoulder the load and also, fully capable of toting it.

So now that we’ve discussed the good news, how about the bad? The teams that would like Punxsutawney Phil time and some do-overs? The entirety of the Pac-12 is eliminated from this conversation, by the way. I think this one is tricky. There are plenty of teams that needed to grow into themselves — Loyola-Chicago, for example. There are also tons that were way overvalued early, like West Virginia. But abject flops without excuse? I hate to kick a team when it’s down, but I might have to start with Nebraska. All of those guys returning, all of that expectation and … pfft. I mean, Tim Miles was in tears the other night.

Brian: The Huskers look just about cooked. Six losses in a row, and here are the last four games of the season: Purdue, at Michigan, at Michigan State, Iowa. Eep.

Jon Crispin, one of the more astute hoops minds out there, notes that Nebraska has a “veteran” team that isn’t really a veteran team, in the sense that these guys haven’t played together for three or four years. I think it’s a very solid point, explaining why we may have overvalued the Huskers. But they’ve played together enough. The offense shouldn’t be as disjointed and lost as it looked against Maryland. It’s not a good look when you look like you’re out of answers.

• Plus1 3

"Reverse hot seat -- why these embattled coaches should stay"

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/team/_/id/158/nebraska-cornhuskers

What his detractors would say: He's gone from the fun coach who used to tweet at halftime to the coach whose team has experienced high turnover and won more than 20 games only once. Nebraska, which has only reached the NCAA tournament once under Miles, has lost seven in a row. Plus, Nebraska can shred the final year of his deal by paying him a $2.5 million buyout this offseason. The school would owe Miles nearly $4 million total if it made the move after next season.

Why his firing would be unjust: Nebraska has opened a great arena and practice facility within the past five years. The school has invested millions to rebrand itself as a viable basketball program. That's not easy to do for a program that's never won an NCAA tournament game. Firing Miles could erase the momentum the program has built during his time in Lincoln. -- Myron Medcalf 

Edit: For the record, I don't endorse this article or the arguments in it. I've wanted Miles gone for a while now. Just posting it for its' relevance. 

• Plus1 2
2 minutes ago, Fru said:

What his detractors would say: He's gone from the fun coach who used to tweet at halftime to the coach whose team has experienced high turnover and won more than 20 games only once. Nebraska, which has only reached the NCAA tournament once under Miles, has lost seven in a row. Plus, Nebraska can shred the final year of his deal by paying him a $2.5 million buyout this offseason. The school would owe Miles nearly $4 million total if it made the move after next season.

Why his firing would be unjust: Nebraska has opened a great arena and practice facility within the past five years. The school has invested millions to rebrand itself as a viable basketball program. That's not easy to do for a program that's never won an NCAA tournament game. Firing Miles could erase the momentum the program has built during his time in Lincoln. -- Myron Medcalf 

Edit: For the record, I don't endorse this article or the arguments in it. I've wanted Miles gone for a while now. Just posting it for its' relevance. 

That's very interesting that the writer points out the "momentum" gained in the last 5 years with a new arena and practice facility, when it's just as easy to say that Miles has had a 5 year period where a new arena and practice facility has been built, but the program hasn't recruited better or won more games. 

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1
1 minute ago, Cdog923 said:

That's very interesting that the writer points out the "momentum" gained in the last 5 years with a new arena and practice facility, when it's just as easy to say that Miles has had a 5 year period where a new arena and practice facility has been built, but the program hasn't recruited better or won more games. 

No kidding. I've often wondered how Doc Sadler would have done if he had had the resources that Tim has. 

• Plus1 1

15 minutes ago, teachercd said:

He has not done much at SMiss but then again that might not really mean much.

Yeah he's been very underwhelming there. But while at Nebraska it felt like he was constantly so close to getting over the hump. 

My buddy used to play on the women's basketball practice team several years ago and he told me there were times when the Devaney center was being used by gymnastics or some other sport and they had to practice at Mabel Lee hall after the men's team got done. The court wasn't even regulation size. Compare that with what they have now. 

9 minutes ago, Fru said:

Yeah he's been very underwhelming there. But while at Nebraska it felt like he was constantly so close to getting over the hump. 

My buddy used to play on the women's basketball practice team several years ago and he told me there were times when the Devaney center was being used by gymnastics or some other sport and they had to practice at Mabel Lee hall after the men's team got done. The court wasn't even regulation size. Compare that with what they have now. 

Man I forgot about that hall!  

1 hour ago, Fru said:

I'd argue not firing Miles would cause any momentum we have left to come to a screeching halt

• Plus1 1