Tim Miles Hot Seat Watch

Just now, Enhance said:

That might be the case. I think not going for a big name hire means you're just hoping/banking on the next mid-major dude to make it happen. Some might view it as kicking the can down the road.

I wonder who they could get even if they throw big $$$ at them. I don't ask that as in 'nobody will come here.' I just genuinely wonder what the ceiling is in terms of a candidate hire. Some dude on Twitter was suggesting they go after Baylor's HC but I don't think there's any denying that'd be a step down for them even if you have the cash.

Fred Hoiberg is an option but I think that dude could go to a better place in the college ranks if he wanted.

I honestly don't even know anymore.  I guess we need to know what the top line number of the salary is that Moos would offer.  $2M won't get any big name here.

Just now, BIG ERN said:

Who was better this year? JP is shooting 36% on the year and 31% from 3P...people caught onto his same euro step move. He isn't that good 

Win shares is my favorite metric to purely judge value; if you use these, JP, Watson and Roby are all ahead of Cope (per 40 minutes, though, Cope is tops on the team).  What hurts Cope here is his defense; he's second in offensive win shares, but 5th in defensive win shares. 

• Plus1 1
2 minutes ago, Cdog923 said:

Win shares is my favorite metric to purely judge value; if you use these, JP, Watson and Roby are all ahead of Cope (per 40 minutes, though, Cope is tops on the team).  What hurts Cope here is his defense; he's second in offensive win shares, but 5th in defensive win shares. 

Keep your baseball stats and I'll continue watching games and watching the same guys taking terrible shots and not making them. 

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1
5 minutes ago, BIG ERN said:

Keep your baseball stats... 

I'm sorry you don't like numbers, or objective arguments...

5 minutes ago, BIG ERN said:

...and I'll continue watching games and watching the same guys taking terrible shots and not making them. 

...but so have the rest of us for over 20 years now; that's no excuse to ignore the facts that are available to you. 

Also, bit of a spoiler: 

Spoiler

Palmer isn't the best player on the team, either. 

• Plus1 1
25 minutes ago, StPaulHusker said:

I agree with Dirk's assessment that anything short of a big time hire and the basketball program is set back 5 years.

I don't think so.  Miles has five years of being within one loss of the school record for losses.  His two "good" years included a total combined zero post-season wins.

We are likely to lose 17 games this year and be under .500.  We are bringing back very few legit contributors regardless of who is hired.  A coaching change will not set us back any further than we are already set back.  

Would a "big time" hire be able to show quick improvements?  I would think so.  But an average hire really doesn't have anywhere to set the program back.  I would think an average hire would be able to have a .500 record sooner than five years.

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 1

1 minute ago, Mavric said:

BREAKING: Hiring a great coach will make you better faster than hiring an average coach.

Thanks for the insight Dirk.

I wonder, Mav I know you follow basketball...but do you think that having better players would also make the team better?  I am really on the fence out that one.  I should probably ask Dirk.

• Haha 1
Just now, teachercd said:

I wonder, Mav I know you follow basketball...but do you think that having better players would also make the team better?  I am really on the fence out that one.  I should probably ask Dirk.

I mean .... I wouldn't pretend to have such vast knowledge as Dirk.  But I think that would be a possibility.

Probably should just be in awe of what Coach K, Calipari, Wright, etc. are able to do with the average talent they usually get.

• Haha 1
15 minutes ago, Cdog923 said:

I'm sorry you don't like numbers, or objective arguments...

...but so have the rest of us for over 20 years now; that's no excuse to ignore the facts that are available to you. 

Also, bit of a spoiler: 

Hide contents

Palmer isn't the best player on the team, either. 

No, I just hate when people bring over win shares, a man made stat made for baseball. What facts are abvailable to me? Palmer and Watson were not better than Copeland this year regardless of what you try and tell me. Roby is a better player than Copeland, but he has been underwhelming outside of the last few games.