Tim Miles Hot Seat Watch

2 minutes ago, Hayseed said:

Except that most of the sadsack ADs were hired because an angry mob with pitchforks and torches forced a nerdy lawyer with no interest in sports to hire them with the specific purpose of getting rid of an evil coach and replacing him with the savior of the day of the anti-social message board leaders and their 500 local media lackeys.

So there’s that. I wonder if Bob Devaney could be hired today?

He's dead so probably not.

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, SouthLincoln Husker said:

I will disagree, because instate basketball talent has decreased a lot over time until lately.  Nee did well due to local talent, which the other coaches did not have.   I will stand on the lack of quality basketball coaching at Nebraska for a long long time.   What do have now is great facilities and administration that wants to succeed.   FYI - you forgot about sadsack ADs that put us in this :P

I guess it depends a bit on what you're calling "local talent".  If you 're talking in-state, I think that's a stretch to say he "did well due to local talent".  He had a couple really good in-state guys - Strickland and King - and a few nice role players.  But that's not a lot for being here for 15 years or whatever.  Most of the big guns were coming from out-of-state.  Nebraska was producing some D1 talent but not much of it was going to UNL.

13 minutes ago, Mavric said:

I guess it depends a bit on what you're calling "local talent".  If you 're talking in-state, I think that's a stretch to say he "did well due to local talent".  He had a couple really good in-state guys - Strickland and King - and a few nice role players.  But that's not a lot for being here for 15 years or whatever.  Most of the big guns were coming from out-of-state.  Nebraska was producing some D1 talent but not much of it was going to UNL.

Chubick, Markowski, Pike (family in NE), Lou (KC), Woodlridge & Badgett.  Plus, Belcher was a cousin of another player.  50% of his roster was local NE-IA-SD.  I will agree he did good with Juco players and sprinkled in some talent.    Eric Johnson, Mike Moore & Tony Farmer played in the NBA, along with Pike,  Lou, Strickland & King.   Have we had any players like these since then?

4 hours ago, Cdog923 said:

Were they slumping? Sure, but you can't tell me that Copeland doesn't make a difference in stealing a game against Wisconsin or Maryland (whom Nebraska only lost to by 2 in their first meeting, on the road). Cope would certainly have made a difference against Ohio State and Illinois, too; those are the other two of the three wins I'm counting. I certainly don't think they lose to Penn State by a billion if Cope is healthy, either. 

THEY LOST TO RUTGERS WITH A HEALTHY COPELAND.

They maybe dont lose by as much but the only game he was 100% out of that I might agree with is Illinois... 

Copeland is a key player for this team but Roby has stepped up big and I think he has filled that hole. I dont think we see this type of Roby with Copeland in the lineup.. which is too bad. It might have been fun to go super big with Tanner/Cope/Roby with how Tanner and Roby have been playing as of late.

2 minutes ago, Minnesota_husker said:

THEY LOST TO RUTGERS WITH A HEALTHY COPELAND.

They maybe dont lose by as much but the only game he was 100% out of that I might agree with is Illinois... 

Copeland is a key player for this team but Roby has stepped up big and I think he has filled that hole. I dont think we see this type of Roby with Copeland in the lineup.. which is too bad. It might have been fun to go super big with Tanner/Cope/Roby with how Tanner and Roby have been playing as of late.

Teams have bad losses all the time. Duke lost to Syracuse, at home, earlier this year. 

The bold is the part I don't disagree with, and Cope going out might be what spurs Roby to finally take ahold of his potential. That, and it made Miles realize that he could rely on his bench for more than token minutes here or there. 

• Plus1 1

3 hours ago, SouthLincoln Husker said:

Chubick, Markowski, Pike (family in NE), Lou (KC), Woodlridge & Badgett.  Plus, Belcher was a cousin of another player.  50% of his roster was local NE-IA-SD.  I will agree he did good with Juco players and sprinkled in some talent.    Eric Johnson, Mike Moore & Tony Farmer played in the NBA, along with Pike,  Lou, Strickland & King.   Have we had any players like these since then?

Like I said, it depends on your definition of "local".  If you start expanding out to surrounding states, there are more good players but I'm not sure you can say that those players aren't still out there, maybe we just haven't been getting them anymore.  So that would be a credit to Nee's recruiting.

Chubick, Markowski and Badgett were nice role players but not stars.  Woolridge was only here for one year.

Guys like Clifford Scales, Beau Reid, Dapreis Owens, Carl Hayes, Jamar Johnson, Jaron Boone, Venson Hamilton, Larry Florence and Brian Conklin plus Johnson, Moore, Farmer, Garner, Ffriend and Chandler all came from around the country.

50% of the rost may have been more local (though I'm not really sure that's even the case), but the guys who were the major contributors were largely coming from elsewhere.

19 minutes ago, Mavric said:

Like I said, it depends on your definition of "local".  If you start expanding out to surrounding states, there are more good players but I'm not sure you can say that those players aren't still out there, maybe we just haven't been getting them anymore.  So that would be a credit to Nee's recruiting.

Chubick, Markowski and Badgett were nice role players but not stars.  Woolridge was only here for one year.

Guys like Clifford Scales, Beau Reid, Dapreis Owens, Carl Hayes, Jamar Johnson, Jaron Boone, Venson Hamilton, Larry Florence and Brian Conklin plus Johnson, Moore, Farmer, Garner, Ffriend and Chandler all came from around the country.

50% of the rost may have been more local (though I'm not really sure that's even the case), but the guys who were the major contributors were largely coming from elsewhere.

Boone was streaky & never played d.  Hamilton & Chandler were good.  I like mikki,  but he was like 6' 11" 175.  And I forgot about scales, he was a scrapper.  The rest were ok.

28 minutes ago, Mavric said:

I look at the list and one of these big boys might make this team good. Lol

18 minutes ago, SouthLincoln Husker said:

Boone was streaky & never played d.  Hamilton & Chandler were good.  I like mikki,  but he was like 6' 11" 175.  And I forgot about scales, he was a scrapper.  The rest were ok.

And now you've resorted to nit-picking to try to dismiss things you don't agree with.  

Jaron Boone left Nebraska with his name scattered over the record books. He ended his Husker career as the fifth-leading scorer in NU history, just ahead of fellow 1995-96 senior Erick Strickland, with 1,609 career points. Boone's 127 career games played ranks tied for third all-time, and his 102 starts (including 91 consecutive starts to end his career) ranks fourth all-time. Boone's 443 career assists ranks third all-time and his 575 field goals made ranks fifth. He is also third all-time for three-pointers made with 181.

Huskers.com

Yet you go with "streaky & never played d"?

Moore played 13 years in the NBA.  What the hell does "he was like 6'11" 175" supposed to have to do with anything?

And "the rest were ok" is at least as much and probably more than you can say about any of the Nebraska kids save King and Strickland.

• Plus1 1

https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/schools/nebraska/

Here's the great site I checked out that surprised me and got me thinking that we should've given Danny Nee more time.....especially looking at our results in hindsight. Look it over and you'll see what I mean.
You can argue that we should've hired some miracle coach, but we did try for the Bill Self types and nobody like that was interested.