Tim Miles Hot Seat Watch

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/insider/story/_/id/24967957/hot-seat-primer-how-secure-steve-alford-ucla-bruins

Tim Miles, Nebraska: It's another season in limbo for Miles and the Cornhuskers. Miles seemed to be coaching for his job last season, when he led Nebraska to 22 wins and the precipice of the NCAA tournament. But he received only a one-year contract extension, which means he isn't 100 percent safe entering this season. Miles has been in Lincoln since 2012, reaching the NCAA tournament once, in 2014. The Cornhuskers are well-positioned to make a return trip this season, though, as they bring back three starters and breakout candidate Isaiah Roby.

• Plus1 2

CBS Sports is making predictions for the year (not sure why they picked 37 of them)

23. The biggest jobs to open by the end of March will be: DePaul, Nebraska, Penn State, Washington State and one wild card gig that could create chaos. (Let's see how things go with Billy Donovan in Oklahoma City over the next five months.)

https://www.cbssports.com/college-basketball/news/here-are-37-preposterously-plausible-and-crazy-predictions-for-the-2018-19-college-basketball-season/

• Plus1 2
  • 5 weeks later...

28 minutes ago, Huskers93-97 said:

Maybe not this year. But after this season who replaces, Watson, Palmer, Copeland and maybe roby? Or do we fall back into sucking again? 

Moos made it clear he doesn’t want drop off but consistency year to year 

Yes, the goal is consistency. But, you don’t come from where we’ve been to good team every year with out a little up and down. 

Miles has had his share of bad teams getting here. But, if this season continues on this path, a step back is not reason for change. 

9 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

Yes, the goal is consistency. But, you don’t come from where we’ve been to good team every year with out a little up and down. 

Miles has had his share of bad teams getting here. But, if this season continues on this path, a step back is not reason for change. 

I don’t think you fire him next year either. But I am concerned we just got lucky with a few transfers and won’t be able to get consistent talent is all. Time will tell

10 hours ago, SouthLincoln Husker said:

He has been recruiting well, but my concern is a big man.  I like what we have coming back with Thomas,  Nana & Duchon.  Plus Roby & Heiman. 

This year will be good but Miles lucked out (not a slam) that everyone came back.  Usually dudes that are 25 with a bad back like Copeland don't come back...usually transfer dudes that have a shot to make money (even overseas money is good if you are in the right league) like Palmer don't come back.  Sadly the recruiting behind them is bad.

So Miles is actually the big winner here.  He is going to make the dance and should make a run to the second weekend and then will be in line for, not the TOP jobs that open, but the second level top jobs that open.  Now, he is a midwest guy so that limits him a bit as to what positions he will be linked to but still...he is gone either way.  It just so happens that now it will be on his terms because he knows he needs to go cash a new lotto ticket.

• Plus1 1

22 minutes ago, Cdog923 said:

The way Roby is playing, he'll need to be back next year. Allen/Roby/Akenten could make a bit of noise. 

I have been shocked that people (scouts even) are big into Roby...He is a plus athlete but not a freak...he is in luck that the NBA is positionless now but I still don't see where he fits because he is so passive and almost seems like he doesn't even love the game all that much.

With that said...he seems like a great teammate and very coachable...so if he gets on a roster he will stick for a long time without playing much.

• Haha 1
1 minute ago, teachercd said:

I have been shocked that people (scouts even) are big into Roby...He is a plus athlete but not a freak...he is in luck that the NBA is positionless now but I still don't see where he fits because he is so passive and almost seems like he doesn't even love the game all that much.

With that said...he seems like a great teammate and very coachable...so if he gets on a roster he will stick for a long time without playing much.

He needs to work on his athleticism a bit more, so he can put himself in better positions to avoid fouls. 

5 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Fred should have never left ISU.

I agree, but Fred spent so long in the NBA as a player, that he was probably drawn to see if he could win at that level.  Plus, it's so easy for college coaches to give the NBA a try, and then come back to the college game.  He will have to go to a school other than his alma mater, but that may end up being a good thing for him anyway.