Tim Miles Hot Seat Watch

1 minute ago, ColoradoHusk said:

I agree, but Fred spent so long in the NBA as a player, that he was probably drawn to see if he could win at that level.  Plus, it's so easy for college coaches to give the NBA a try, and then come back to the college game.  He will have to go to a school other than his alma mater, but that may end up being a good thing for him anyway.

I was surprised he left because of the bolded.  It seemed like when he went there, coaching at his alma mater was really big to him.  He was being paid very well.  He could recruit and had an AD that backed him.

The move would not have surprised me at all.....if it weren't for this being his alma mater.

• Plus1 1

5 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

I was surprised he left because of the bolded.  It seemed like when he went there, coaching at his alma mater was really big to him.  He was being paid very well.  He could recruit and had an AD that backed him.

The move would not have surprised me at all.....if it weren't for this being his alma mater.

That is my point about Hoiberg being in the NBA for so long (10 years).   I know Hoiberg is an Ames native, and was so close to the school, but after a while he probably became more attached to the NBA game than he was in the college game.  That's just a guess on my part, so that's why he was drawn to giving the NBA a try.

NU fans always point out Tyronn Lue coming back to Lincoln to coach at NU.  I don't ever see that happening because Lue is a NBA guy.  That's where the most of his experience has been, that's where his connections are, that's where he won a NBA title (with Lebron's help).

6 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

NU fans always point out Tyronn Lue coming back to Lincoln to coach at NU.  I don't ever see that happening because Lue is a NBA guy.  That's where the most of his experience has been, that's where his connections are, that's where he won a NBA title (with Lebron's help).

I agree with this.

• Plus1 2
3 hours ago, teachercd said:

I have been shocked that people (scouts even) are big into Roby...He is a plus athlete but not a freak...he is in luck that the NBA is positionless now but I still don't see where he fits because he is so passive and almost seems like he doesn't even love the game all that much.

With that said...he seems like a great teammate and very coachable...so if he gets on a roster he will stick for a long time without playing much.

He is playing out of position and he is too unselfish!

Just now, SouthLincoln Husker said:

He is playing out of position and he is too unselfish!

He is too unselfish, I don't think he is wired like a big dog.  

I am not sure what position he should be at on offense...on defense I suppose the nice thing is he can guard all 5 positions assuming the 1 isn't a freak and assuming the 5 isn't a giant.

1 minute ago, teachercd said:

He is too unselfish, I don't think he is wired like a big dog.  

I am not sure what position he should be at on offense...on defense I suppose the nice thing is he can guard all 5 positions assuming the 1 isn't a freak and assuming the 5 isn't a giant.

He is not 5, probably a 3 or 4.  He was definitely more aggressive at the end of last year and I think that is what the scouts were looking at.  He does not look like the same player. 

4 hours ago, teachercd said:

This year will be good but Miles lucked out (not a slam) that everyone came back.  Usually dudes that are 25 with a bad back like Copeland don't come back...usually transfer dudes that have a shot to make money (even overseas money is good if you are in the right league) like Palmer don't come back.  Sadly the recruiting behind them is bad.

So Miles is actually the big winner here.  He is going to make the dance and should make a run to the second weekend and then will be in line for, not the TOP jobs that open, but the second level top jobs that open.  Now, he is a midwest guy so that limits him a bit as to what positions he will be linked to but still...he is gone either way.  It just so happens that now it will be on his terms because he knows he needs to go cash a new lotto ticket.

I think there is a lot of season left and I’m not sold this TM squad is any better than previous.

They are going to get exposed on a bad shooting night or any team with good inside presence.

30 minutes ago, gobiggergoredder said:

I think there is a lot of season left and I’m not sold this TM squad is any better than previous.

They are going to get exposed on a bad shooting night or any team with good inside presence.

This team is different from what we've had in a long time in that they are not relying just on one guy.

57 minutes ago, gobiggergoredder said:

I like their offensive patience.  That is an improvement from the Texas Tech game.  I've had season tickets for a long long time and seen a lot of I teams, but these guys actually share the ball and play with each other.  

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1
33 minutes ago, Cdog923 said:

In terms of Hoiberg, keep an eye on Minnesota.

I would be really shocked if he ever goes back to the college game.  Dude has made millions, probably might want to just chill out with a sweet TV gig or radio gig or front office stuff...but who knows.  Minnesota would make sense.

• Plus1 1
On 12/3/2018 at 10:30 AM, ColoradoHusk said:

Right. But could he come back as an analyst or consultant (like what is used for football)?

Could see him contributing there, if he wanted. But no, I don't think he'll come back as a Head Coach unless we backed up the Brinks Truck...and Lue would be a hard sell to the boosters.