Jump to content
seaofred92

Tim Miles Hot Seat Watch

Recommended Posts

3 hours ago, ECisGod said:

Maybe, Osbourne took over a year after they had won back to back championships & Miles took over when the program was just short of a dumpster fire.

 

Facilities are important, but they are not a panacea.  Cameron Indoor & Allen Fieldhouse are dumps but Duke & Kansas get great players every year because they are dumps with tradition.  The second & third tier of players like shiny new facilities, but the top tier likes tradition more so they go to Duke, Kansas, Kentucky, UNC, etc.

 

Typing the bold should be a suspension if not permanent loss of keyboard.

 

  • Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, teachercd said:

Why are people acting like Miles wasn't almost canned last year?  And the year before?

 

The dude has 9 lives right now...that is awesome for him.  But even with a great season and making the dance it isn't like he all of a sudden learned how to coach.  The guy has been coaching for 20 years and been a HC for what, 15-20 years?  Dude is a .500 coach (or so?)

 

The reason this year looks good is because of two transfers (lucky to have them and that is a compliment but getting awesome transfers is lucky) and a 4 year PG.

 

 

 

You live in a world that must have a lot of LUCK

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Mavric said:

 

You're free to have your opinion.  The numbers say otherwise.

 

The Big 8 and Big12 were always top heavy with Kansas and 1 other team.  Those two teams were almost guaranteed L's - Their RPI's made the conference averages much inflated.  So maybe the wrong #'s are being looked at.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, teachercd said:

We all do...some of it is good and some of it is bad.

 

so -  TM gets all the good luck and you must get all the bad luck being stuck with TM

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, GBRFAN said:

 

so -  TM gets all the good luck and you must get all the bad luck being stuck with TM

I am not stuck with him.  I am an Illini fan...the bad luck there is they hired Brad Underwood

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, teachercd said:

I am not stuck with him.  I am an Illini fan...the bad luck there is they hired Brad Underwood

 

I keep forgetting that - you seem so vested in NU

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, GBRFAN said:

 

I keep forgetting that - you seem so vested in NU

No problem, happy to help remind you.

Just now, Hedley Lamarr said:

I call that average

I call the contracts he has signed during his career lucky :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, teachercd said:

Why are people acting like Miles wasn't almost canned last year?  And the year before?

 

The dude has 9 lives right now...that is awesome for him.  But even with a great season and making the dance it isn't like he all of a sudden learned how to coach.  The guy has been coaching for 20 years and been a HC for what, 15-20 years?  Dude is a .500 coach (or so?)

 

The reason this year looks good is because of two transfers (lucky to have them and that is a compliment but getting awesome transfers is lucky) and a 4 year PG.

 

 

And those transfers will go cold several times in conference and they will lose by 15.  This team looks the exact same as it always has which should be troubling to just about everyone because there is a lot of talent on the floor.  I think the D is actually getting worse.

 

He is in better shape then previous years because he doesn't have to rely on only one guy to shoot lights out.  The are also slightly better than they have been in rebounding the last few years.  They gone from awful to ok on the boards.  If someone isn't on fire behind the arc, they can't stay with a good team.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, gobiggergoredder said:

This team looks the exact same as it always has which should be troubling to just about everyone because there is a lot of talent on the floor.

 

I'm not saying you're wrong, but per my vantage point this team looks not anywhere even close to 'the same' as the last few years' teams.

  • Plus1 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Landlord said:

 

I'm not saying you're wrong, but per my vantage point this team looks not anywhere even close to 'the same' as the last few years' teams.

 

Yeah, I'd agree. I do wonder if talent isn't covering some of that up though? You still see traces of the brand of Nebrasketball we all know, and love (obnoxious scoring droughts, inability to close, and hold big leads).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, B.B. Hemingway said:

 

Yeah, I'd agree. I do wonder if talent isn't covering some of that up though? You still see traces of the brand of Nebrasketball we all know, and love (obnoxious scoring droughts, inability to close, and hold big leads).

 

 

I've only seen one instance each of those three things so far this season. This team is playing with a confidence and a belief in themselves and what they're capable of that I haven't seen in a long time, and in a game defined by runs and momentum swings they've not entirely but mostly (and mostly consistently) plaid well, confident, and aggressive. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Landlord said:

 

 

I've only seen one instance each of those three things so far this season. This team is playing with a confidence and a belief in themselves and what they're capable of that I haven't seen in a long time, and in a game defined by runs and momentum swings they've not entirely but mostly (and mostly consistently) plaid well, confident, and aggressive. 

 

Yeah, it's definitely better. This is the first time, in a long time (maybe as far back as I can remember?) where I actually believe that we have a really good team. Even the year we made the run to end the year with Pettaway, there was always a feeling that it might have been smoke and mirrors.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, B.B. Hemingway said:

 

Yeah, it's definitely better. This is the first time, in a long time (maybe as far back as I can remember?) where I actually believe that we have a really good team. Even the year we made the run to end the year with Pettaway, there was always a feeling that it might have been smoke and mirrors.

This his first group that has played together for more than 1 year.  Allen is the only addition and he payed some last year.  The problem with these transfers is keeping them here for 2 years.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Landlord said:

 

I'm not saying you're wrong, but per my vantage point this team looks not anywhere even close to 'the same' as the last few years' teams.

I really do understand your point and I think that you have a legitimate argument. I just don’t agree.

 

Miles success has almost exclusively dependent on the outing of one player.  Petteway, Shields and now Palmer.  They bail out his horrible scheme in my opinion. The difference this year is the supporting cast is probably the strongest he’s ever had.  Only thing that gets him back next year is a tournament win in my opinion.

 

This program got a Maaco paint job.  Looks nice right now.  It’ll be rough again soon.

  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Big red surfers said:

Ben Simmons says Hi....

So you are saying LSU has no basketball tradition? Say hi to Shaq & Pistol Pete.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Landlord said:

they've not entirely but mostly (and mostly consistently) plaid well

 

Plaid well indeed.

 

09-Student-Section-(Nebraska)-2048x1280.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, gobiggergoredder said:

I really do understand your point and I think that you have a legitimate argument. I just don’t agree.

 

Miles success has almost exclusively dependent on the outing of one player.  Petteway, Shields and now Palmer.  They bail out his horrible scheme in my opinion. The difference this year is the supporting cast is probably the strongest he’s ever had.  Only thing that gets him back next year is a tournament win in my opinion.

 

This program got a Maaco paint job.  Looks nice right now.  It’ll be rough again soon.

 

You just answered your own question about why this year is a little different.  The supporting cast around Palmer is way stronger than in the past.  That is really the difference between a good team and great teams.  All the traditionally great basketball programs have a strong team.  They may have a couple of really good player/scorers but they have a great supporting cast.  

 

Next year Nebraska probably will struggle they won't have the players.  So I guess fire Miles at the end of the year.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, B.B. Hemingway said:

 

AND?!?! Big BABY Davis!!!!

 

And Chris Jackson.  Dale Brown was a great coach.  They clearly have some tradition.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, SouthLincoln Husker said:

Lol

I believe they need to win an NCAA tourney game for him to keep his gig.  Getting there is not enough.  I just don’t see it happening.  I think he’s gone.

 

This is a message board and a lot of us have opinions.  That’s the part you struggle with.

  • Plus1 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This needs to be it.  I mentioned it before, a Sweet 16 run wouldn't shock me at all.  I would still part ways, mutually or otherwise.  There isn't anything on the roster after this season and Miles has had the exact same weaknesses since day one.  Get through this year and try and peak at the right time and make some noise.  Start over next year and try again.

 

I don't expect one seeds every year, but this can't be the peak of the program.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Omaha-Husker said:

This needs to be it.  I mentioned it before, a Sweet 16 run wouldn't shock me at all.  I would still part ways, mutually or otherwise.  There isn't anything on the roster after this season and Miles has had the exact same weaknesses since day one.  Get through this year and try and peak at the right time and make some noise.  Start over next year and try again.

 

I don't expect one seeds every year, but this can't be the peak of the program.  

Best talent he’s had so far and the product is identical.  I think this is it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, gobiggergoredder said:

I believe they need to win an NCAA tourney game for him to keep his gig.  Getting there is not enough.  I just don’t see it happening.  I think he’s gone.

 

This is a message board and a lot of us have opinions.  That’s the part you struggle with.

I would hope so.  Moos wants all of our teams to be competitive.   Posters who over react both ways, what I call bi-polar.

  • Sad 1
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, SouthLincoln Husker said:

I would hope so.  Moos wants all of our teams to be competitive.   Posters who over react both ways, what I call bi-polar.

Moos couldn’t fire Miles after the B1G regular season in 2018.  But there is a reason he only got a 1 year extension...he’s on notice.   Miles should have been run after NIT, but I understand why Moos had to keep him around.

 

Ive been on record, via Huskerboard, all year.  I’ve made multiple posts after early season wins that I wasn’t sold yet.  He needs to go.

 

Self funding basketball program that is top 15 in attendance.  Program has a career .500 coach.

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, gobiggergoredder said:

Moos couldn’t fire Miles after the B1G regular season in 2018.  But there is a reason he only got a 1 year extension...he’s on notice.   Miles should have been run after NIT, but I understand why Moos had to keep him around.

 

Ive been on record, via Huskerboard, all year.  I’ve made multiple posts after early season wins that I wasn’t sold yet.  He needs to go.

 

Self funding basketball program that is top 15 in attendance.  Program has a career .500 coach.

 

 

 

 

Husker fans will support any coach.  They are so hungry for a competitive team.  I first gave up my season tickets watching Nee do the same thing.  We need moos put out the bucks for a good coach.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Miles is already gone...it doesn't matter what happens.

 

This year was never about what Miles could do it was always about what Moos could do.

 

Buffalo has the coach that NU wants...Oates.  I think that is his name.

  • Plus1 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, BigRedBuster said:

 

Miles doesnt run this account, but it is crazy to me that someone would tweet that at a parody account.... 

 

I have been pretty clear in saying that Miles is not the guy longterm but was fully onboard giving him a chance with this current team.

 

While I am frustrated with the 1-3 conference start, lets calm it down a bit. The 3 losses were on the road against 3 good(not great) teams. No, we shouldnt have lost any of those 3 games... but we get a chance at payback at Pinnacle Bank for all 3. 

 

This team is still having a good year. We need to learn to close better.

 

But again, my major issues with Miles still shine through. His offense has actually been better but still wish we had more movement for guys without the ball. 

 

On defense, it comes down to lack of rebounding. Honestly I would love to see more Brady Heiman. He is a good rebounder. He lacks size and strength but he gets himself into good spots. Take away all the second chances from Offensive Rebounds and this team is 3-1 or 4-0.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Minnesota_husker said:

Miles doesnt run this account, but it is crazy to me that someone would tweet that at a parody account.... 

 

I have been pretty clear in saying that Miles is not the guy longterm but was fully onboard giving him a chance with this current team.

 

While I am frustrated with the 1-3 conference start, lets calm it down a bit. The 3 losses were on the road against 3 good(not great) teams. No, we shouldnt have lost had a good chance of winning any of those 3 games... but we get a chance at payback at Pinnacle Bank for all 3. 

 

This team is still having a good year. We need to learn to close better.

 

But again, my major issues with Miles still shine through. His offense has actually been better but still wish we had more movement for guys without the ball. 

 

On defense, it comes down to lack of rebounding. Honestly I would love to see more Brady Heiman. He is a good rebounder. He lacks size and strength but he gets himself into good spots. Take away all the second chances from Offensive Rebounds and this team is 3-1 or 4-0.

 

 

I agree with your post.

 

However, I have one correction above.  For instance, Iowa is a very similar team to us as far as talent and ability.  We were in their house.  It's tough to win on the road in the Big Ten.  Yes, we could have won that game.  We didn't.  That sucks.  

 

And...as for Heiman, I really think we would see more of him if he wasn't fouling about every 10 seconds while in the game.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Good teams have bad nights...  But I agree last night was tough to watch.  Lot of basketball left to play... win 4 of the next 6 and we will be looking pretty good.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Hilltop said:

Good teams have bad nights...  But I agree last night was tough to watch.  Lot of basketball left to play... win 4 of the next 6 and we will be looking pretty good.  

What about 7 out of the next 6?

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Couple of points: 

 

1. The guy that tweeted at the dog account is a massive douchebag. I had to remember why I blocked him, but he tweets **** almost every single tweet, at coaches and at players. 

2. I'm not going to be surprised either way with whatever decision is made on Miles. Moos has a history of letting basketball coaches slide, but he's still in splash mode here, and might want to take a healthy swing at getting the program on the right track. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am not sure what is better...the dog account or the dude trolling the dog account.  

 

Also the dog account should have just replied with "That tweet was RUFF"

  • Plus1 2
  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Cdog923 said:

Couple of points: 

 

1. The guy that tweeted at the dog account is a massive douchebag. I had to remember why I blocked him, but he tweets **** almost every single tweet, at coaches and at players. 

2. I'm not going to be surprised either way with whatever decision is made on Miles. Moos has a history of letting basketball coaches slide, but he's still in splash mode here, and might want to take a healthy swing at getting the program on the right track. 

I think most people who want Miles gone seem to agree that it is because we have seen the same thing over and over again. 

 

I think it is pretty apparent he just isnt that great of an X's and O's coach. He has done a great job of getting talent in here but has only had 1 maybe 2 good seasons... I think this team is still very good this year and while the 3 losses bug me, they were all on the road and honestly they were correctable things. This isnt a dumpster fire, we can correct some things and make the dance. This years team isnt my concern.....

 

My concern is Miles ability to bring in young talented guys and coach them up. My concern is a team like next year where we will most likely lose 90% of our points. My thought is it is a perfect time to hit reset with a new coach. I dont know how you could fire Miles especially if he wins a tourney game but I just think we know what he brings to the table and I would love to see Nebraska try and take the next step.

 

That all said, Miles is a good, personable dude. I just think some fans let that cloud the fact he isnt a great coach.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Minnesota_husker said:

Miles doesnt run this account, but it is crazy to me that someone would tweet that at a parody account.... 

 

 

 

 

 

I'm almost completely convinced now, that Sammy is @SouthLincoln Husker :P

 

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Minnesota_husker said:

I think most people who want Miles gone seem to agree that it is because we have seen the same thing over and over again. 

 

I think it is pretty apparent he just isnt that great of an X's and O's coach. He has done a great job of getting talent in here but has only had 1 maybe 2 good seasons... I think this team is still very good this year and while the 3 losses bug me, they were all on the road and honestly they were correctable things. This isnt a dumpster fire, we can correct some things and make the dance. This years team isnt my concern.....

 

My concern is Miles ability to bring in young talented guys and coach them up. My concern is a team like next year where we will most likely lose 90% of our points. My thought is it is a perfect time to hit reset with a new coach. I dont know how you could fire Miles especially if he wins a tourney game but I just think we know what he brings to the table and I would love to see Nebraska try and take the next step.

 

That all said, Miles is a good, personable dude. I just think some fans let that cloud the fact he isnt a great coach.

Exfreakinactly

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Minnesota_husker said:

That all said, Miles is a good, personable dude. I just think some fans let that cloud the fact he isnt a great coach.

Kinda like the Mike Riley of college basketball.

  • Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have said it before...if Miles started the NU job in the early 80s...he would have coached at NU for 20 years.  He is likeable, a good quote, he would be buying beers (because you could still do that back then) for the media and fans...

 

But the game of winning/losing has changed and the media coverage and TV games have changed.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, teachercd said:

I have said it before...if Miles started the NU job in the early 80s...he would have coached at NU for 20 years.  He is likeable, a good quote, he would be buying beers (because you could still do that back then) for the media and fans...

 

But the game of winning/losing has changed and the media coverage and TV games have changed.  

He reminds me a lot like Nee.  He could recruit some good athletes, but they never got better and Xs & Os were an issue!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×