Tim Miles Hot Seat Watch

I think we Husker baseball people need to sort of realize that it just isn't that big of a deal.  My guess is that even when Husker baseball was really good, it was still making the same amount of cash that it is now, that is totally just a guess but you are only going to squeeze so much money out of baseball.  

I also think it is amazing how Miles has almost no middle ground of support.  It seems like it is either "fire him" or "You must be crazy, Miles is amazing"

11 hours ago, Hayseed said:

Yeah, we needed to get some big wins to impress the committee. At this point it will take a miracle finish.

Oh, hey, can I get some funny faces here to cheer me up, I’m not happy.

We will not need a miracle finish to make the dance. If we win the games we should and no more bad losses we are in.

The loss to Rutgers is bad but we still have a fairly good resume. 

1 hour ago, teachercd said:

I think we Husker baseball people need to sort of realize that it just isn't that big of a deal.  My guess is that even when Husker baseball was really good, it was still making the same amount of cash that it is now, that is totally just a guess but you are only going to squeeze so much money out of baseball.  

I also think it is amazing how Miles has almost no middle ground of support.  It seems like it is either "fire him" or "You must be crazy, Miles is amazing"

Disagree 1000%. If anything, the 2000s showed what Husker baseball could be, especially in the Big Ten. 

1 hour ago, teachercd said:

I think I'm a middle ground guy. Both sides have viable options and really this is better than Nebrasketball has had it since the early 90's. Unfortunately the pressure to break through in the NCAA tournament is really hanging over the program's head and until that happens even solid seasons won't be anywhere near enough. 

Miles is hard to gauge because the heavy reliance on transfers and JuCo guys. The team seems like it hits a massive turnover and roster overhaul every two years. Maybe that's just the nature of college basketball now though.

13 minutes ago, Cdog923 said:

Disagree 1000%. If anything, the 2000s showed what Husker baseball could be, especially in the Big Ten. 

Sure but in the end...even the most bad a$$ Husker baseball team is not bringing in anywhere near the cash that football or basketball can/do.  So it changes the way it is viewed by the AD, or it would for me.  I would have a much longer leash for baseball than I would basketball.  

• Plus1 1
58 minutes ago, teachercd said:

Sure but in the end...even the most bad a$$ Husker baseball team is not bringing in anywhere near the cash that football or basketball can/do.  So it changes the way it is viewed by the AD, or it would for me.  I would have a much longer leash for baseball than I would basketball.  

It's not just about cash, though. Up until moving to Devaney, the volleyball team never operated in the black, and no one dares touch that program because it is run up to an appropriate standard, which the baseball team is not, IMO. I'd venture so much of a guess to say that if was someone named Darin Evans coaching and not Darin Erstad, they probably would have already been replaced. 

11 minutes ago, Cdog923 said:

It's not just about cash, though. Up until moving to Devaney, the volleyball team never operated in the black, and no one dares touch that program because it is run up to an appropriate standard, which the baseball team is not, IMO. I'd venture so much of a guess to say that if was someone named Darin Evans coaching and not Darin Erstad, they probably would have already been replaced. 

I agree he would have been replaced if he wasn't who he is...

• Plus1 1
2 minutes ago, teachercd said:

I agree he would have been replaced if he wasn't who he is...

And I agree with you to the point that if Erstad keeps going like he is, he's going to do enough to keep his job, for better or worse. I'm not sure Moos wants to spend all of the political capital he has gained by firing a Husker legend. 

31 minutes ago, Cdog923 said:

And I agree with you to the point that if Erstad keeps going like he is, he's going to do enough to keep his job, for better or worse. I'm not sure Moos wants to spend all of the political capital he has gained by firing a Husker legend. 

Yeah, I think you are right!

I also think what we really see is just how good of a coach that DVH was/is.

• Plus1 1
21 minutes ago, teachercd said:

Yeah, I think you are right!

I also think what we really see is just how good of a coach that DVH was/is.

DVH was so, so, so damn good. We were really unfortunate that Arkansas came calling for him (and A&M for Childress a few years later). 

9 hours ago, Minnesota_husker said:

We will not need a miracle finish to make the dance. If we win the games we should and no more bad losses we are in.

The loss to Rutgers is bad but we still have a fairly good resume. 

I wish I could agree with you and I hope you’re right but I don’t see it going that way.

A dominant big man would entirely change this team... and many teams can say that... but I don’t see this staff making up for what we lack the way a coach like Doc Sadler might. It’s kind of strange that Doc could coach superior defense but struggled at recruiting while Miles excels at recruiting but doesn’t bring much for strategy.

We haven’t had a complete coaching staff.