Mavric

Offensive Efficiency

7 minutes ago, Mavric said:

No doubt, the O is starting to click and looks very impressive.  Frost is slowly building a very potent offense.  I liked a quote he said the other day that he'd rather win 2-0 than lose 61-60.  He knows what is needed to win.  A few more pieces and parts.  Our O is getting it done.  Sat against Ohio St is going to be interesting.

Side note-watching UCF last night and the blazing speed of the their skill positions was crazy.  They were multiple and interchangeable.  I think those are some of the pieces Frost is recruiting for.  Got to say it again, they had speed to burn on O.    

Just now, lo country said:

No doubt, the O is starting to click and looks very impressive.  Frost is slowly building a very potent offense.  I liked a quote he said the other day that he'd rather win 2-0 than lose 61-60.  He knows what is needed to win.  A few more pieces and parts.  Our O is getting it done.  Sat against Ohio St is going to be interesting.

Side note-watching UCF last night and the blazing speed of the their skill positions was crazy.  They were multiple and interchangeable.  I think those are some of the pieces Frost is recruiting for.  Got to say it again, they had speed to burn on O.    

On this week's Pick 6 Podcast, McKewon commented that those great Oregon teams Frost worked on had interchangeable guys at the skill positions.  There would be a guy who comes out of nowhere and have 4 carries for 110 yards.  That's the one thing missing with Frost's offense right now.  He wants to be able to sub in guys at the skill positions and not have a drop-off in production.  

• Plus1 3

21 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

On this week's Pick 6 Podcast, McKewon commented that those great Oregon teams Frost worked on had interchangeable guys at the skill positions.  There would be a guy who comes out of nowhere and have 4 carries for 110 yards.  That's the one thing missing with Frost's offense right now.  He wants to be able to sub in guys at the skill positions and not have a drop-off in production.  

That's the part that takes time to develop.  He's building it and over time, we will start to see a stable of players like this.

53 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

That's the part that takes time to develop.  He's building it and over time, we will start to see a stable of players like this.

Yeah, that is not going to happen overnight.

Clearly, the answer is cloning.  What has that biology department done for us lately?  Get us another Spielman, FFS!

• Plus1 2
  • Haha 4

Despite the W/L record, this season is everything we could have hoped for imo. The offense is as advertised. We are going to be scary and we run the ball better than we have in nearly 2 decades(the scary part is we are throwing it better than ever). On defense there have been questions, but they have at least looked like they give a rip out there and that is a big upgrade over last year right there. It's hard not to like the direction of this team.

• Plus1 1

2 hours ago, Mavric said:

Which is why I tried not to get too excited when it happened. I got excited when it was 16-14, though.

When I first saw this the other day, I was surprised that 1983 wasn't on the list. Finally got around to looking into it.

Penn State - 500

Wyoming - 581

Minnesota - 790

UCLA - 600

Syracuse - 458

Oklahoma State - 417

Missouri - 405

Colorado - 398

Kansas State - 429

Iowa State - 503

Kansas - 680

Oklahoma - 424

Miami 478

Pretty noticeable lull in the middle of the year.  I thought it was probably one game that kept this team off the list.  

1 hour ago, Mavric said:

When I first saw this the other day, I was surprised that 1983 wasn't on the list. Finally got around to looking into it.

Penn State - 500

Wyoming - 581

Minnesota - 790

UCLA - 600

Syracuse - 458

Oklahoma State - 417

Missouri - 405

Colorado - 398

Kansas State - 429

Iowa State - 503

Kansas - 680

Oklahoma - 424

Miami 478

Pretty noticeable lull in the middle of the year.  I thought it was probably one game that kept this team off the list.  

That Oklahoma State game was a tough game, as NU only won 14-10.  Okie State was coached by a young Jimmy Johnson.  That was his last year in Stillwater before replacing Schnellenber in Miami. 

• Plus1 1

13 hours ago, Mavric said:

Colorado - 398

Skers won that game 69-19 after dropping 48 in the 3rd. Welcome to the Big 8 Bill McCartney!

• Plus1 1

Some crazy stats via HOL:

Not trying to throw shade of former Huskers but these give you some idea of the lack of offensive efficiency under Tommy Armstrong.  I believe these are all for 2016.

• Pro Football Focus passer grade of 54.8.  Martinez has had an overall rating in the 80s recently
  • 12 for 50 (24%) on passes thrown longer than 20 yards plus 3 INTs
  • 5 for 29 (17%) on passes thrown longer than 10 yards to the left
  • 39.2% on passes under pressure

21 hours ago, Mavric said:

Please defense... be ranked in the top 75 scoring/total defense next season. That’s all I ask.

• Plus1 1

1 hour ago, Mavric said:

Some crazy stats via HOL:

Not trying to throw shade of former Huskers but these give you some idea of the lack of offensive efficiency under Tommy Armstrong.  I believe these are all for 2016.

• Pro Football Focus passer grade of 54.8.  Martinez has had an overall rating in the 80s recently
  • 12 for 50 (24%) on passes thrown longer than 20 yards plus 3 INTs
  • 5 for 29 (17%) on passes thrown longer than 10 yards to the left
  • 39.2% on passes under pressure

I think the yolobomb days are behind us now 

Not sure I like the term efficiency when describing our current offense.  Total yards is very good certainly but it would seem to me that efficient offense would be scoring a higher number of points per game and points scored per yards gained or something.   Our offense seems, in some ways, to be rather inefficient in the sense that we are gaining lots of yards but not scoring at a very high rate.   I would not think this year's offense is very comparable to some of the high octane offenses of the past referenced.

It seems likely that at some point, with more refinement, development and additional talent and repetitions, we could very well enjoy something approaching the great offenses of the glory days.   But we are no where close at this point in my opinion.   Some of those great offenses hardly every punted and the punter was nowhere near the household name of our current ones.

I don't know the numbers and am not going to bother to search the records, but I would tend to guess that college football today has a much higher average offense yards per game across all teams as well as more scoring that 20 or 30 years ago.  

Nevertheless, I am quite excited to see the dramatic improvement in our offensive output this year - we surely have a much more powerful and effective offense this year than in the past 6 or 7 years at least.  We will only get better if we can build up the O line and add more skill players across the board. 

• Plus1 1

16 hours ago, 84HuskerLaw said:

Not sure I like the term efficiency when describing our current offense.  Total yards is very good certainly but it would seem to me that efficient offense would be scoring a higher number of points per game and points scored per yards gained or something.   Our offense seems, in some ways, to be rather inefficient in the sense that we are gaining lots of yards but not scoring at a very high rate.   I would not think this year's offense is very comparable to some of the high octane offenses of the past referenced.

It seems likely that at some point, with more refinement, development and additional talent and repetitions, we could very well enjoy something approaching the great offenses of the glory days.   But we are no where close at this point in my opinion.   Some of those great offenses hardly every punted and the punter was nowhere near the household name of our current ones.

I don't know the numbers and am not going to bother to search the records, but I would tend to guess that college football today has a much higher average offense yards per game across all teams as well as more scoring that 20 or 30 years ago.  

Nevertheless, I am quite excited to see the dramatic improvement in our offensive output this year - we surely have a much more powerful and effective offense this year than in the past 6 or 7 years at least.  We will only get better if we can build up the O line and add more skill players across the board. 

You have a fair point about the efficiency aspect.  Currently, Nebraska is 72nd in points per play.  That being said, they're 26th in their last 3 which is a nice positive sign and syncs up with what the coaching staff said about things starting to jell after the Purdue game.  

https://www.teamrankings.com/college-football/stat/points-per-play

On a side note, the rates that OU and Bama are scoring are simply jaw dropping.  Averaging almost a point per play is like...6 man football level scoring.

• Plus1 2

3 minutes ago, Xmas32 said:

You have a fair point about the efficiency aspect.  Currently, Nebraska is 72nd in points per play.  That being said, they're 26th in their last 3 which is a nice positive sign and syncs up with what the coaching staff said about things starting to jell after the Purdue game.  

https://www.teamrankings.com/college-football/stat/points-per-play

On a side note, the rates that OU and Bama are scoring are simply jaw dropping.  Averaging almost a point per play is like...6 man football level scoring.

Coming into the season, I thought NU would be playing its best football at the end of the season.  I didn't expect the mistakes and losses at the beginning of the season, but the team has improved as the season has gone on.  It helps to have Minnesota and Bethune-Cookman in the 2nd half of the season, but the offense still played fairly well against Ohio State.  Hopefully, NU's scheme and speed can still cause troubles for Michigan State and Iowa.

• Plus1 1

OK...I got interested so I went back and spent some time on this.  Hey...it's Friday.

Colorado = .337 PPP

Troy = .253 PPP

Mich = .185

Purdue = .346

Wisk = .352

Northwestern = .383

Minnesota = .726

BC = .703

OSU = .436

I think it's clear that there has been a steady improvement with obvious ups and downs based on quality of opponent.  Last 5 games are .520 compared to the season average of .364.

• Plus1 2

14 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

OK...I got interested so I went back and spent some time on this.  Hey...it's Friday.

Colorado = .337 PPP

Troy = .253 PPP

Mich = .185

Purdue = .346

Wisk = .352

Northwestern = .383

Minnesota = .726

BC = .703

OSU = .436

I think it's clear that there has been a steady improvement with obvious ups and downs based on quality of opponent.  Last 5 games are .520 compared to the season average of .364.

Not asking you to do this but I wonder what the number would be if you just even take out the time Martinez was injured or playing hurt - Last several plays against Colorado, Troy game and Michigan game.

34 minutes ago, Mavric said:

Not asking you to do this but I wonder what the number would be if you just even take out the time Martinez was injured or playing hurt - Last several plays against Colorado, Troy game and Michigan game.

Obviously Troy and Michigan drag down the average.

2 minutes ago, Mavric said:

The type of output we have seen against Illinois and Minnesota are the offensive games we should expect from Frost’s offense, against those types of opponents. There were guys running in space all day today.  It’s going to be really exciting when NU has the depth where they can have competition on the o-line and the skill positions can have more guys play. 

51 minutes ago, Mavric said:

I wonder why we've improved so much...

n8sPjRO.jpg

• Plus1 2

I know we have 2AM but, this confirms that we’ve had more talent on the team than what the past. Inches have been able to develop. 

You dont jump 75 spots just because of a stud true freshman QB......as awesome as that is. 

• Plus1 1
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

You dont jump 75 spots just because of a stud true freshman QB......as awesome as that is. 

I was thinking about this today.  Not trying to take anything away from Martinez because he's a stud.  And he's definitely made a huge difference.

But he can't do it by himself.  And basically every other significant contributor on offense was here last year.  Linemen.  Receivers.  Ozigbo.  Etc.

Washington is really the only other new guy who's made much of an impact at all.  The rest of it is pretty much all getting more out of what we already had.

• Plus1 2
  • Upvote 2

8 hours ago, Mavric said:

Top 3 are B1G and 5 of the 9 on that list as well. And the Huskers have played all 4 of the others.

• Plus1 1

10 hours ago, Mavric said:

I was thinking about this today.  Not trying to take anything away from Martinez because he's a stud.  And he's definitely made a huge difference.

But he can't do it by himself.  And basically every other significant contributor on offense was here last year.  Linemen.  Receivers.  Ozigbo.  Etc.

Washington is really the only other new guy who's made much of an impact at all.  The rest of it is pretty much all getting more out of what we already had.

The coaches have gotten incredible results from this roster. We have pieces, but we don't have the roster Frost would want to have for this offense. Imagine once we have 3 or 4 capeable backs to sub in and whole groups of recievers who can come in with little drop off. Add in a few burners we don't currently have and this offense will be absolutely unstoppable.

That along with the fact that SF hasn't shown what his 3rd 4th and 5th year as a head coach will look like  - UCF has remained solid, but i'm sure the staff had more to add.  2019 should be exciting - can't even imagine what it will be when OU shows up to play in front of the "Sea of Red" in 2022

15 hours ago, Mavric said:

I do think it's in large part a testament to how much of an impact scheme, play calling, and just plain utilizing a player's strengths to the fullest extent has on the offensive side of the ball.

With defense, there isn't an equal parallel there. But coaching - especially at the college level - is so crucial on offense.

This offense's sets, motions, and routes are just so good. What we've seen over the past four games shouldn't be that surprising when you look at 2017 UCF...but Frost is kind of on a whole new level of "clicking" right now with how he's gotten this offense to execute combined with killer play calling.

• Plus1 1

1 minute ago, Undone said:

I do think it's in large part a testament to how much of an impact scheme, play calling, and just plain utilizing a player's strengths to the fullest extent has on the offensive side of the ball.

With defense, there isn't an equal parallel there. But coaching - especially at the college level - is so crucial on offense.

This offense's sets, motions, and routes are just so good. What we've seen over the past four games shouldn't be that surprising when you look at 2017 UCF...but Frost is kind of on a whole new level of "clicking" right now with how he's gotten this offense to execute combined with killer play calling.

After the Illinois game, Frost commented that it's fun to call the offense when the players are executing so well.  He's found a rhythm in the past few games, that it's almost surprising when the offense doesn't move the ball in a series.

2 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

After the Illinois game, Frost commented that it's fun to call the offense when the players are executing so well.  He's found a rhythm in the past few games, that it's almost surprising when the offense doesn't move the ball in a series.

Yeah and after I've gotten over the sting of that 0-6 start I've given a lot of slack to all involved (on defense, too), given the fact that learning a new system should really grant our players some slack in that regard.

For example, our offensive line has improved. Improved a lot? Maybe that's debatable, but it has improved. Pass protection is noticeably better, and you don't break a school record for 450+ yard games on offense without a line that's hitting their assignments. I think the offensive coaches Frost has brought in really know what they're doing.

1 minute ago, Undone said:

Yeah and after I've gotten over the sting of that 0-6 start I've given a lot of slack to all involved (on defense, too), given the fact that learning a new system should really grant our players some slack in that regard.

For example, our offensive line has improved. Improved a lot? Maybe that's debatable, but it has improved. Pass protection is noticeably better, and you don't break a school record for 450+ yard games on offense without a line that's hitting their assignments. I think the offensive coaches Frost has brought in really know what they're doing.

I like the offensive staff very much, but I think they are working with better talent, compared to the defense.  The o-line is improved, but I think it could be even better once Frost gets the taller and bigger o-linemen that he's looking for.

Just now, ColoradoHusk said:

I like the offensive staff very much, but I think they are working with better talent, compared to the defense.  The o-line is improved, but I think it could be even better once Frost gets the taller and bigger o-linemen that he's looking for.

Definitely agree. I was really hard on Chinander right after we had played Wisconsin. The more I analyze the situation, he's not working with much at all.

Here's an unanswerable question:

If Scott Frost inherits Tommy Armstrong as his quarterback, does Frost's offense and coaching get significantly more out out of Tommy?

Or does Tommy frustrate Frost the same way he frustrated his other coaches? Close to greatness but prone to bad playground ball decisions?

And if Frost has freshman Adrian Martinez on the the bench, does he skip protocol and insert the better system quarterback from the get-go?

They'd get more out of Tommy, but I highly doubt 'significantly' more. Tommy was more or less the same player his freshman and sophomore years under Pelini Beck as he was his junior and senior years under Riley/Langsdorf; the same quality under a system more tailored to his strengths compared to a coach probably better at developing quarterbacks. 

Tommy's biggest attribute was his competitiveness. Martinez' is his savvy. The *crucial* thing Frost's offense demands is savvy, imo. Not to say Armstrong was dumb, but he never really exhibited the mental mastery to be anything better than a good-not-great QB imo.

20 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

Here's an unanswerable question:

If Scott Frost inherits Tommy Armstrong as his quarterback, does Frost's offense and coaching get significantly more out out of Tommy?

Or does Tommy frustrate Frost the same way he frustrated his other coaches? Close to greatness but prone to bad playground ball decisions?

And if Frost has freshman Adrian Martinez on the the bench, does he skip protocol and insert the better system quarterback from the get-go?

I think Frost utilizes Tommy's running ability better than Riley/Langsdorf did.  Riley/Langsdorf called plenty of QB runs, but Frost's offense is more imaginative in utilizing the QB run game.  I also think Frost's offense would create more wide open receivers than Riley/Langsdorf.  I think Armstrong would drive Frost crazy with his inaccuracy on short passes (an underrated skill of A-Mart's).  If Armstrong were the starting QB to begin the season, but Martinez was making progress in practice, I wouldn't have been surprised if Martinez ended up being the starting QB midway through the season.  Armstrong also got dinged up at times, so Martinez could have found himself playing due to injury.

• Plus1 1