Offensive Efficiency

Mavric

2 minutes ago, Mavric said:

The type of output we have seen against Illinois and Minnesota are the offensive games we should expect from Frost’s offense, against those types of opponents. There were guys running in space all day today.  It’s going to be really exciting when NU has the depth where they can have competition on the o-line and the skill positions can have more guys play. 

3 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

You dont jump 75 spots just because of a stud true freshman QB......as awesome as that is. 

I was thinking about this today.  Not trying to take anything away from Martinez because he's a stud.  And he's definitely made a huge difference.

But he can't do it by himself.  And basically every other significant contributor on offense was here last year.  Linemen.  Receivers.  Ozigbo.  Etc.

Washington is really the only other new guy who's made much of an impact at all.  The rest of it is pretty much all getting more out of what we already had.

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 2
10 hours ago, Mavric said:

I was thinking about this today.  Not trying to take anything away from Martinez because he's a stud.  And he's definitely made a huge difference.

But he can't do it by himself.  And basically every other significant contributor on offense was here last year.  Linemen.  Receivers.  Ozigbo.  Etc.

Washington is really the only other new guy who's made much of an impact at all.  The rest of it is pretty much all getting more out of what we already had.

The coaches have gotten incredible results from this roster. We have pieces, but we don't have the roster Frost would want to have for this offense. Imagine once we have 3 or 4 capeable backs to sub in and whole groups of recievers who can come in with little drop off. Add in a few burners we don't currently have and this offense will be absolutely unstoppable.

That along with the fact that SF hasn't shown what his 3rd 4th and 5th year as a head coach will look like  - UCF has remained solid, but i'm sure the staff had more to add.  2019 should be exciting - can't even imagine what it will be when OU shows up to play in front of the "Sea of Red" in 2022

15 hours ago, Mavric said:

I do think it's in large part a testament to how much of an impact scheme, play calling, and just plain utilizing a player's strengths to the fullest extent has on the offensive side of the ball.

With defense, there isn't an equal parallel there. But coaching - especially at the college level - is so crucial on offense.

This offense's sets, motions, and routes are just so good. What we've seen over the past four games shouldn't be that surprising when you look at 2017 UCF...but Frost is kind of on a whole new level of "clicking" right now with how he's gotten this offense to execute combined with killer play calling.

• Plus1 1
1 minute ago, Undone said:

I do think it's in large part a testament to how much of an impact scheme, play calling, and just plain utilizing a player's strengths to the fullest extent has on the offensive side of the ball.

With defense, there isn't an equal parallel there. But coaching - especially at the college level - is so crucial on offense.

This offense's sets, motions, and routes are just so good. What we've seen over the past four games shouldn't be that surprising when you look at 2017 UCF...but Frost is kind of on a whole new level of "clicking" right now with how he's gotten this offense to execute combined with killer play calling.

After the Illinois game, Frost commented that it's fun to call the offense when the players are executing so well.  He's found a rhythm in the past few games, that it's almost surprising when the offense doesn't move the ball in a series.

2 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

After the Illinois game, Frost commented that it's fun to call the offense when the players are executing so well.  He's found a rhythm in the past few games, that it's almost surprising when the offense doesn't move the ball in a series.

Yeah and after I've gotten over the sting of that 0-6 start I've given a lot of slack to all involved (on defense, too), given the fact that learning a new system should really grant our players some slack in that regard.

For example, our offensive line has improved. Improved a lot? Maybe that's debatable, but it has improved. Pass protection is noticeably better, and you don't break a school record for 450+ yard games on offense without a line that's hitting their assignments. I think the offensive coaches Frost has brought in really know what they're doing.

1 minute ago, Undone said:

Yeah and after I've gotten over the sting of that 0-6 start I've given a lot of slack to all involved (on defense, too), given the fact that learning a new system should really grant our players some slack in that regard.

For example, our offensive line has improved. Improved a lot? Maybe that's debatable, but it has improved. Pass protection is noticeably better, and you don't break a school record for 450+ yard games on offense without a line that's hitting their assignments. I think the offensive coaches Frost has brought in really know what they're doing.

I like the offensive staff very much, but I think they are working with better talent, compared to the defense.  The o-line is improved, but I think it could be even better once Frost gets the taller and bigger o-linemen that he's looking for.