Offensive Efficiency

Mavric

Just now, ColoradoHusk said:

I like the offensive staff very much, but I think they are working with better talent, compared to the defense.  The o-line is improved, but I think it could be even better once Frost gets the taller and bigger o-linemen that he's looking for.

Definitely agree. I was really hard on Chinander right after we had played Wisconsin. The more I analyze the situation, he's not working with much at all.

Here's an unanswerable question:

If Scott Frost inherits Tommy Armstrong as his quarterback, does Frost's offense and coaching get significantly more out out of Tommy?

Or does Tommy frustrate Frost the same way he frustrated his other coaches? Close to greatness but prone to bad playground ball decisions?

And if Frost has freshman Adrian Martinez on the the bench, does he skip protocol and insert the better system quarterback from the get-go?

They'd get more out of Tommy, but I highly doubt 'significantly' more. Tommy was more or less the same player his freshman and sophomore years under Pelini Beck as he was his junior and senior years under Riley/Langsdorf; the same quality under a system more tailored to his strengths compared to a coach probably better at developing quarterbacks. 

Tommy's biggest attribute was his competitiveness. Martinez' is his savvy. The *crucial* thing Frost's offense demands is savvy, imo. Not to say Armstrong was dumb, but he never really exhibited the mental mastery to be anything better than a good-not-great QB imo.

20 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

Here's an unanswerable question:

If Scott Frost inherits Tommy Armstrong as his quarterback, does Frost's offense and coaching get significantly more out out of Tommy?

Or does Tommy frustrate Frost the same way he frustrated his other coaches? Close to greatness but prone to bad playground ball decisions?

And if Frost has freshman Adrian Martinez on the the bench, does he skip protocol and insert the better system quarterback from the get-go?

I think Frost utilizes Tommy's running ability better than Riley/Langsdorf did.  Riley/Langsdorf called plenty of QB runs, but Frost's offense is more imaginative in utilizing the QB run game.  I also think Frost's offense would create more wide open receivers than Riley/Langsdorf.  I think Armstrong would drive Frost crazy with his inaccuracy on short passes (an underrated skill of A-Mart's).  If Armstrong were the starting QB to begin the season, but Martinez was making progress in practice, I wouldn't have been surprised if Martinez ended up being the starting QB midway through the season.  Armstrong also got dinged up at times, so Martinez could have found himself playing due to injury.

• Plus1 1

I think Armstrong would have flourished under Frost assuming Frost & Mario had a couple years to work with him.  His accuracy on  short passes could have been improved with some help from Mario and his running ability was very good.  He seemed fairly accurate on the deep ball when not trying to throw into double coverage which wouldn't have been as much of a problem with Frost's offense.

I think there are two possibilities if Frost inherited Armstrong.  

First, as @ColoradoHusk said, Frost goes run-heavy and Armstrong racks up a lot of rushing yards.  They minimize the passing attempts so the offense isn’t nearly as complete but Armstrong can do enough with his feet and what Frosts asks him to do throwing that the offense is still pretty decent.

But I think the second option is more likely.  Frost is able to still able to grab a new recruit that better fits his system.  Perhap not to Martinez’s level but still one who is able to out-perform Martinez win the job as someone who is closer to what Frost wants and better able to implement the entire offense.