Special Teams

We need a good knowledgeable coach for that phase of the game. Having one coach split duties is not working out as seen all season long. The offense and defense continue to improve whereas the unspecial teams continue to cost us games. It is time to find a good special teams coach and have them focus on that aspect of our team.

4 minutes ago, huskerfan74 said:

We need a good knowledgeable coach for that phase of the game. Having one coach split duties is not working out as seen all season long. The offense and defense continue to improve whereas the unspecial teams continue to cost us games. It is time to find a good special teams coach and have them focus on that aspect of our team.

Having a coach dedicated to special teams is no guarantee of success either.  Quite the opposite.

• Fire 1

Our unspecial teams simply do the absolute minimum not to make a mistake and they still make mistakes. I saw six teams today block a punt yet we never even try. Most of the time we signal fair catch and most of the time we let the ball roll to our five yard line. We had horrible starting field positions yet Ohio state had wonderful field position most of the game.

The only time we had success on special teams is when we have JD Spielman returning punts and most of the time, I am sure he is being asked to fair catch the ball. Our players never attempt to go after a punt to block it. They never try to block a field kick either. Our punts are horrible most of the time. We used to have some of the best kickers and punters in the country. I am hoping that we can recruit some talent in that area or we will continue to struggle in that phase of the game. Lightbourn will not magically get better. He has been with this team for three years now.

1 hour ago, huskerfan74 said:

Personnel changes mean nothing if it is the same exact coach coaching them. The issue is the coach not being knowledgeable in special teams play and not the players.

If it's the coach and not the players then why is your following coach all about the players?

1 hour ago, huskerfan74 said:

The only time we had success on special teams is when we have JD Spielman returning punts and most of the time, I am sure he is being asked to fair catch the ball. Our players never attempt to go after a punt to block it. They never try to block a field kick either. Our punts are horrible most of the time. We used to have some of the best kickers and punters in the country. I am hoping that we can recruit some talent in that area or we will continue to struggle in that phase of the game. Lightbourn will not magically get better. He has been with this team for three years now.

• Plus1 1