Special Teams

12 hours ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Or he had confidence in the defense could get a stop, when NU had 2 times out left.

If Frost didn’t have any confidence in his special teams coach, why would he allow an onsides kick to be called in the first quarter? That shows me the special teams coach must have seen something in OSU’s kick return to show that an onside kick could have worked in that situation. However, the kicker just completely whiffed on the kick. He may have practiced it perfectly every time in practice, but whiffed in the game. Do you blame that on the special teams coach?

Why are so sure that the ST coach saw a wrinkle in OSU’s kickoff scheme?  Was this addressed in a press conference or interview?   

1 minute ago, krc1995 said:

Why are so sure that the ST coach saw a wrinkle in OSU’s kickoff scheme?  Was this addressed in a press conference or interview?   

It’s a guess on my part, but it’s usually why coaches try something like a surprise onside kick early in the game. Coaches do most things based on tendencies from the other team. 

9 minutes ago, krc1995 said:

Went back and listened.  Frost said they "got a great look" to try an onside and that they had practiced it.

Not sure if they saw that look on film but I would think so.  That was our first kick-off of the game so it's not like could have seen it anywhere else.

3 minutes ago, Mavric said:

Went back and listened.  Frost said they "got a great look" to try an onside and that they had practiced it.

Not sure if they saw that look on film but I would think so.  That was our first kick-off of the game so it's not like could have seen it anywhere else.

I believe he also said it hadn't gone that way in practices, referring to the botched kick.

5 minutes ago, Mavric said:

That’s what i figured. They probably saw the unbalanced front line look on film and thought if they saw it early to give it a go

38 minutes ago, brophog said:

I believe he also said it hadn't gone that way in practices, referring to the botched kick.

I should hope not. Lol. I could have done that. I’m guessing the unbalancedness wasn’t there late in the 4th or the element of surprise was gone. 

It sure would have have been nice to have that ace in the hole late in the game. 

9 minutes ago, krc1995 said:

I should hope not. Lol. I could have done that. I’m guessing the unbalancedness wasn’t there late in the 4th or the element of surprise was gone. 

It sure would have have been nice to have that ace in the hole late in the game. 

There's no way we would have had it because they were prepared for it then (due to game situation)

19 minutes ago, krc1995 said:

There’s no ace in the hole to play late in the game. Teams will line up differently on kickoff depending on the situation. Of course, Ohio State was going to be prepared for a potential onside kick late in the game.

Again, this is me speculating, but based on how coaches watch film and game plan, the NU coaches spotted a vulnerable spot in Ohio State’s traditional kickoff return team. It was worth trying and Lightbourn failed to even put his foot on the ball.  Coaches will prepare endlessly for moments like that, and a player can still fail in the moment. 

3 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

There’s no ace in the hole to play late in the game. Teams will line up differently on kickoff depending on the situation. Of course, Ohio State was going to be prepared for a potential onside kick late in the game.

Again, this is me speculating, but based on how coaches watch film and game plan, the NU coaches spotted a vulnerable spot in Ohio State’s traditional kickoff return team. It was worth trying and Lightbourn failed to even put his foot on the ball.  Coaches will prepare endlessly for moments like that, and a player can still fail in the moment. 

I'm pretty sure in the seemingly endless list of possible outcomes, the kicker not making contact with the football didn't even enter SF's mind. It's really quite comical if it happens to someone else.  

• Plus1 1
Just now, krc1995 said:

I'm pretty sure in the seemingly endless list of possible outcomes, the kicker not making contact with the football didn't even enter SF's mind. It's really quite comical if it happens to someone else.  

Of course it’s funny if it happens to another team. That’s why I’m going to defend the play call to no end. No one would have ever though Lightbourn would have completely whiffed on the kick attempt. I have seen plenty of onside kick attempts in my life, both surprise and traditional onside kicks. I have never seen a kicker completely miss the ball. It was an outcome that no one would have predicted. I saw posts of “you can’t expect Lightbourn to perform in that situation” but Frost shouldn’t expect Lightbourn to completely whiff on the ball. 

• Thanks 1
2 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Of course it’s funny if it happens to another team. That’s why I’m going to defend the play call to no end. No one would have ever though Lightbourn would have completely whiffed on the kick attempt. I have seen plenty of onside kick attempts in my life, both surprise and traditional onside kicks. I have never seen a kicker completely miss the ball. It was an outcome that no one would have predicted. I saw posts of “you can’t expect Lightbourn to perform in that situation” but Frost shouldn’t expect Lightbourn to completely whiff on the ball. 

wow.

1 hour ago, ColoradoHusk said:

:yeah

They ran the play in practice.  Apparently with enough success that they thought it was worth a try in the game.  It didn't work out.  It happens.  It sucks but it happens.

Same deal with the turnover near the goal line where Martinez threw it backwards and JD couldn't come up with it.  I absolutely love that play in general tough I don't know if I would have called it that close to the goal line.  But they could probably run that play 100 more times and never have the outcome that happened in the game.  That doesn't make it a bad call.  Just a continuation of the horrendous luck we've had this year.

• Plus1 1
12 hours ago, Mavric said:

:yeah

They ran the play in practice.  Apparently with enough success that they thought it was worth a try in the game.  It didn't work out.  It happens.  It sucks but it happens.

Same deal with the turnover near the goal line where Martinez threw it backwards and JD couldn't come up with it.  I absolutely love that play in general tough I don't know if I would have called it that close to the goal line.  But they could probably run that play 100 more times and never have the outcome that happened in the game.  That doesn't make it a bad call.  Just a continuation of the horrendous luck we've had this year.

The only problem I had with the call was the one who they were trusting to make the play.  For as many games as Lightbourn was the starting punter, I can only assume he was doing a good job and having enough success in practice.  When it became apparent that practice play was quite a bit different than game play, he lost his punting duties.  So now, we have the exact same player and expected a different outcome.  Don't get me wrong, under normal circumstances I loved the call as well.  I just thought it was very ill advised running it with Mr. Practice.