What did we learn: Ohio State

Branno

32 minutes ago, ADS said:

- The team has improved in certain areas.  There are still glaring holes on this team that have to be addressed.

- Pass protection is one of those.

- Would it be possible to clone Alex Henery AND Adi Kunalic?

- A pass rusher would make a world of difference.

- Safety is, and will continue to be a weakness.

- Adrian can play with the best of them, and even carry a team (see the first half).

This is how i see it also.

We just need some difference makers on defense and we will be hard to stop. 

• Plus1 1

11 minutes ago, FrantzHardySwag said:

Continued confirmation that Frost picked the right signal caller. Other than the boneheaded backwards pass Martinez was a stud once again. 340 total yards and 3 touchdowns in the shoe as a true freshman.

I think when you have a genuine playmaker , particularly when they are a true freshman things like that pass will happen. They just always want to make something happen. I love the attitude of the kid. I’m ok with occasional bonehead mistakes trying to make something happen. Brett Favre used to do crazy stupid s#!t all the time but at the end of the day he won the game more often then not if you put the ball in his hands

56 minutes ago, Branno said:

I said it after Colorado and I'll say it again. This team is going to be good. We can quibble over coaching decisions, talent levels, etc, but I think we can all agree that if you take last year's team and Ohio State blocks the punt and scores a TD to make it 9-7 they wouldn't have recovered. The future is bright, and honestly the near future doesn't look too bad.

I was fully prepared to get owned today, instead I was frustrated we didn't pull out the win. A couple of dropped passes and missed tackles and maybe we blow them out.

That is where Frost has this team.

Your argument is invalid. Last years team cannot make OSU punt :)

If not for the two drops, and perhaps even one, we win this game.

7 minutes ago, Blackshirtsguru said:

This team is playing like they believe in themselves.  We need to plug in the right recruits to fit the scheme but all in all....They made HUGE leaps in the past 3 games.

We are a few players short now. I hope one recruiting class can fix it, but we may need two classes.

• Haha 1

Our offense is going to be very, very scary.  It is currently very good.  A drop or two away from beating OSU on the road.....While we were 2-6.

OL needs some help.  

We need some skill depth. Injuries to Oz and Mo hurt.

Defense continues to struggle on slant routes.  

Mo is a beast in the middle, but we desperately need a run stuffing beast instead of meeting the RB and getting rolled for yards.

We need a true NT.  A big, strong guy doesn't always translate to a good NT.

Ability to get pressure with a 4 man rush wins games.  We do not have that yet.

We need a defender at every level that the O needs to account for each and every play.  O has guys like AMart, JD. Stan, but the D is lacking.  IMHO, Honas, Bootle and JoJo can be that guy (any word on JoJo's injury).  We need a dedicated edge rusher.

Heart breaking loss, but we are truly evolving and getting better.

When Frost talks, he is honest.  No coach speak.  He is brutally honest in his assessment of where they are and what needs to improve.  He also isn't kying when he says how uch we've improved or this was our best practice, Michigan was rock bottom etc...And especially honest when he said teams better get their shots in now.....

• Plus1 5

What I learned is the following:

(1) The future is very bright for the Nebraska Huskers. We have a very young team that continues to improve week after week and we will be very good next year.

(2) Our offense can play with anyone in the country

(3) Our defense is improving but is still work in progress. We CANNOT DEPEND ON THEM TO WIN A GAME FOR US AND STOP OPPOSING TEAMS WHEN IT MATTERS MOST.

(4) The difference in the games comes down to the fact that Ohio State has excellent Special Teams and we have the s#!tTIEST Unspecial teams in all of the universe. I have been saying this for eight weeks now and some wise guys on this board keep making wise comments. Calling our special teams special is an insult to the word. The unspecial teams coach is useless and that is the understatement of the century. If this guy cashes his check this month, he will be stealing from Nebraska. NO TEAM HAS EVER COMPETED FOR A CHAMPIONSHIP WITH A s#!tTY UNSPECIAL TEAMS. Until we fix our special teams play, we will not compete for anything. They cost us this game. We can’t block kicks, we can’t go after punts, we can’t pin teams back...heck, we can’t even KICK A BALL after we score.

Having said that, I am very happy with where we are at this time. We competed at a very hard place to play. Our players showed heart. We needed all three phases of the game to klick to win this game and we got two of those happening. Our defense played good enough for us to win. Our offense moved the ball up and down the field very nicely but our unspecial teams did everything they can to lose us the game. I hope we win our last three games and finish on a high note. I am super excited for the future of my Huskers.

• Fire 1