What did we learn: Ohio State

Branno

6 minutes ago, Jason Sitoke said:

I didn’t think Nebraska got out athleted today. OSU is generally the standard when comparing talent, and while they’re clearly in a down year, I think NU’s skill guys are more athletic than their skill guys.   That should bode well in the coming years. 

The difference was up front today. Ohio State dominated the LOS in the 2nd half and that impacted both sides of the ball for NU. While NU were a couple drops from extending drives in the 3rd quarter, Frost wasn’t able to get into a rhythm as a play caller and OSU took control. 

• Plus1 1

I learned that while the defense is far from great, it’s starting to show glimpses of being pretty good. What I am starting to like is that they are starting to hit teams hard. Even Lamar Jackson forced a fumble today with a form tackle with his shoulder right on the ball. I think the coaches are starting to figure out who can play and who can’t, and that should bode well for the future. 

25 minutes ago, krc1995 said:

I'm not pleased by almost winning either.  At least I think that's the intent of this post because I haven't actually read the previous page or two.  How can you be pleased when special teams looks so gawd aweful AND we probably left at least 14-17 points out on the field.   

Improved- yes but Geesh, I'm also not going to stand back in awe because we are significantly less awful then we were 6 weeks ago.  Fix the effin special teams Scott.  I expect to win every single game and am dissappointed when we don't 

I was pleased to see the defense make some stops and get some turnovers.  I was really disappointed how the offense disappeared for almost the entire 2nd half. It was frustrating to see a team that's usually not very good at running the ball ice the game with such ease by just running it up the middle.

• Plus1 2
2 minutes ago, WyoHusker56 said:

I learned today that I was frustrated we didn't beat Ohio State on the road. That's a lot different than being frustrated we were blown out on national TV AGAIN! 

Good progress. Still should have closed that game out better and won. 

I think the difference should be “could have” rather than “should have”. NU quite isn’t in a position to say that NU should have made a few plays to beat a top 10 team. 

16 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

I think the difference should be “could have” rather than “should have”. NU quite isn’t in a position to say that NU should have made a few plays to beat a top 10 team. 

Ya that's a good point, but the way the first half went the second half almost felt like a should. 

• Plus1 1
4 hours ago, Branno said:

I said it after Colorado and I'll say it again. This team is going to be good. We can quibble over coaching decisions, talent levels, etc, but I think we can all agree that if you take last year's team and Ohio State blocks the punt and scores a TD to make it 9-7 they wouldn't have recovered. The future is bright, and honestly the near future doesn't look too bad.

I was fully prepared to get owned today, instead I was frustrated we didn't pull out the win. A couple of dropped passes and missed tackles and maybe we blow them out.

That is where Frost has this team.

Someone eye rolled this?  Why?

Does Mike Riley's lurk here or something?

I dunno if the consistenly terrible special teams play is due to youth, lack of depth, or coaching.  I really hate that the staff would even call an onsides kick in the first few minutes of the game.  Too cutesy and tricky for me. Plus, its always low percentage play. Stupid

Just now, krc1995 said:

I dunno if the consistenly terrible special teams play is due to youth, lack of depth, or coaching.  I really hate that the staff would even call an onsides kick in the first few minutes of the game.  Too cutesy and tricky for me. Plus, its always low percentage play. Stupid

Yeah. Also that early in the game even if you get it it’s probably not a game breaking play. The downside really seems to outweigh the benefits imo

Just now, olddominionhusker said:

Yeah. Also that early in the game even if you get it it’s probably not a game breaking play. The downside really seems to outweigh the benefits imo

It's little calls like these that make me think that Frost has not fully submitted to playing Big ten football. You can't do that crap in the B10.  Maybe Pac-12 or whatever UCF is, but in the BIG you better play strait up D and be confident in doing so. 

eh, we’re 2-6 on the road. What do we have to lose? If it was an onside I’m happy with the call. 

Im actually a little more disappointed that Frost didn’t go for it on 4th and inches. We ran all that motion and hard counts then just called a timeout. Punted and 3 plays or so later we were losing bad. 

Again, 2-6 on the road...just go for it and get 3 inches. If not, we’d all (almost all) understand why he tried it. Just going for broke. 

Anyway, I learned today that Frost just nailed it at the big 10 media days: “better get us this year”. We are gonna ROLL starting next year. 

• Plus1 1
3 minutes ago, krc1995 said:

It's little calls like these that make me think that Frost has not fully submitted to playing Big ten football. You can't do that crap in the B10.  Maybe Pac-12 or whatever UCF is, but in the BIG you better play strait up D and be confident in doing so. 

Bull crap. Frost knows that NU can’t play Ohio State straight up this year and try to win. Did you guys not like when Frost went for it on 4th and 2 on the first drive. NU isn’t talented enough right now to line up teams like Ohio State and try to win games  playing conservatively. If NU is resorting to early onsides kicks in 2-3 years, then I might agree with you. But, Frost is trying to do what it takes to win games, with this year’s talent. I would rather have this than the laying down and not offering any competition. 

• Thanks 2
  • Fire 3
4 minutes ago, I am I said:

eh, we’re 2-6 on the road. What do we have to lose? If it was an onside I’m happy with the call. 

Im actually a little more disappointed that Frost didn’t go for it on 4th and inches. We ran all that motion and hard counts then just called a timeout. Punted and 3 plays or so later we were losing bad. 

Again, 2-6 on the road...just go for it and get 3 inches. If not, we’d all (almost all) understand why he tried it. Just going for broke. 

Anyway, I learned today that Frost just nailed it at the big 10 media days: “better get us this year”. We are gonna ROLL starting next year. 

I wish Frost would have gone for it there too. The only reason to not go for it was the field position. Even if NU gets the first down, NU is still 85 yards from the end zone.