What did we learn: Ohio State

Branno

8 minutes ago, Mavric said:

We didn't play particularly well and nearly beat a Top 10 team on the road.

I love me some Martinez but he was just a bit off today.  Too bad for him.  Could have been a real statement game.

Oz was kind of back to the Oz of old today.  Not terrible but not very good either.  Stats are OK but didn't really make any plays.  Wish Washington wasn't banged up.

Really liking Domann - wish he would have been in earlier this year (injuries were a factor)

Our offense can have a pretty good game even when they disappear for a quarter.  Scary when we get it all together.

Defense showed some signs.  If we only had a pass rush.

This is a really good synopsis.

The areas of need, like the pass rush are high on Frost's list in both recruiting and development.

A year of experience followed by another off season of S&C for freshmen skill positions is going to elevate their ability to the next level.

I don't think we'll be outclassed by anyone next season, which is moderately amazing considering how laughable the program was a mere season ago under Riley.

• Plus1 1

4 minutes ago, krc1995 said:

So we expect the players to perform in a conference that the coach isn't ready for?  Frost was pretty naive coming into a conference and thinking he was going to set the tone.  He's learning to

Wrong. Not naive at all, he’s still going to set the tone, absolutely. He never said he was going to do it in the first 6 games.  In fact, he basically said we aren’t going to be real good out of the gate, but you’d better hope you don’t get us towards the end. Seems like it’s been pretty damn accurate, actually. I hope he never changes a thing. Many things that look folly with mediocre players/fit automatically look genius when things are corrected. 

4 minutes ago, krc1995 said:

So we expect the players to perform in a conference that the coach isn't ready for?  Frost was pretty naive coming into a conference and thinking he was going to set the tone.  He's learning to

Do you expect Frost to be able to coach to his best ability with a roster of players that isn’t super talented and isn’t deep? I think Frost’s offensive scheme is doing some very good things, considering he has 2 quality WR’s, 2 quality RB’s, and a true freshman QB.  The defense isn’t good, but that’s where the biggest holes in talent reside. Frost may not be setting the tone this year, but he’s making plenty of noise this year, even without the victories. I like that Frost wants to be different than other Big Ten teams.

• Plus1 2
1 minute ago, Husker03 said:

Wrong. Not naive at all, he’s still going to set the tone, absolutely. He never said he was going to do it in the first 6 games.  In fact, he basically said we aren’t going to be real good out of the gate, but you’d better hope you don’t get us towards the end. Seems like it’s been pretty damn accurate, actually. I hope he never changes a thing. Many things that look folly with mediocre players/fit automatically look genius when things are corrected. 

Like his clock management, calling desperation low percentage plays early in the game?  I can't get a better list of his coaching gaffes but I understand that he's learning too.  And I'm not sure we have mediocre talent.  And when he said we're going to make the BIG 10 adjust to us, which he did in the preseason, I found that to be a bit naive since he's never coached or played, in the Big 10.  So I'm clearly not wrong

1 minute ago, Husker03 said:

I agree with this. I want Frost to do his thing. We can turn into a team that no one in the Big 10 wants to face. Meyer alluded to it in his press conference.  Some of that was him making excuses for almost losing to a 2 win team but there was likely some truth to it. Our offense is so different then what Big 10 teams face regularly. We should use this to our advantage, not try to fit some predictable Big 10 mold. 

@krc1995 I know you weren’t saying we should do that

1 minute ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Do you expect Frost to be able to coach to his best ability with a roster of players that isn’t super talented and isn’t deep? I think Frost’s offensive scheme is doing some very good things, considering he has 2 quality WR’s, 2 quality RB’s, and a true freshman QB.  The defense isn’t good, but that’s where the biggest holes in talent reside. Frost may not be setting the tone this year, but he’s making plenty of noise this year, even without the victories. I like that Frost wants to be different than other Big Ten teams.

I expect his decision making to not put his team in a hole.  Which sometimes it has.  

1 minute ago, olddominionhusker said:

I agree with this. I want Frost to do his thing. We can turn into a team that no one in the Big 10 wants to face. Meyer alluded to it in his press conference.  Some of that was him making excuses for almost losing to a 2 win team but there was likely some truth to it. Our offense is so different then what Big 10 teams face regularly. We should use this to our advantage, not try to fit some predictable Big 10 mold. 

@krc1995 I know you weren’t saying we should do that

I can honestly say I have no idea what it takes to win consistently, in the BIG 10 but I don't think a great game plan is just striving to be different.   I think you need a strong defense and a run game that can eat a clock.  

6 minutes ago, Husker03 said:

Well said. Frost did make some confident statements coming into the season, but he also made comments about warning the fans about being too optimistic.  When I look at all the things that happened early in the season: Akron rainout, Martinez’s injury, team playing super dumb, I will give Frost a lot of leeway this season. He inherited a mess of a team, has made some improvements in personnel, while also figuring out the returning roster.  I will also call out stupid posts when Frost is being criticized for not doing whatever it takes to beat a team in Ohio State that has far superior talent than Nebraska right now. 

• Plus1 1

4 minutes ago, NebraskaHarry said:

I actually think Nebraska has a lot of talented players. But we have gaps. These coaches can fill those gaps, develop players and build needed depth. This I'm sure of. 

I agree.  We consistently sell out the guys on the roster and particularly the Riley guys.  

• Plus1 1
12 minutes ago, krc1995 said:

Like his clock management, calling desperation low percentage plays early in the game?  I can't get a better list of his coaching gaffes but I understand that he's learning too.  And I'm not sure we have mediocre talent.  And when he said we're going to make the BIG 10 adjust to us, which he did in the preseason, I found that to be a bit naive since he's never coached or played, in the Big 10.  So I'm clearly not wrong

NU has very average talent, especially on the offensive line and all over defense. I think NU showed today that Ohio State will have to adjust to and be concerned about Nebraska going forward. Ohio State was not taking NU seriously, and NU was ahead entering halftime and made things very interesting today. NU forced Ohio State to play much better in the 2nd half, and eventually Ohio State’s talent won in the end. 

• Plus1 1
8 minutes ago, krc1995 said:

I agree.  We consistently sell out the guys on the roster and particularly the Riley guys.  

Are there any defensive players that will make one of the top 2 All-Conference teams? Are there any o-linemen who will do that?  Other than Morgan, Spielman, and Ozigbo, there aren’t any “Riley guys” who are going to be named to any All Big Ten teams. 

• Plus1 1
21 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Are there any defensive players that will make one of the top 2 All-Conference teams? Are there any o-linemen who will do that?  Other than Morgan, Spielman, and Ozigbo, there aren’t any “Riley guys” who are going to be named to any All Big Ten teams. 

what are you even arguing?I thought they were so poorly coached that we had no idea of the caliber of talent on the roster .