What did we learn: Ohio State

Branno

3 minutes ago, krc1995 said:

what are you even arguing?I thought they were so poorly coached that we had no idea of the caliber of talent on the roster .  

Nobody will ever really know how talented guys that Riley recruited were. They weren’t coaches, developed, put through any strength and conditioning at all. However, from what I see this year, the talent on defense is average to poor the offensive line is pretty average, as well.

2 minutes ago, krc1995 said:

because we lost three games by five points and one game by three points. And in two of those games we were leading with three minutes or less to go.  You've got to find a way to win those. 

Yep, Frost coached his team to have the starting QB get injured against CU, and to have the starting safety deliver a personal foul penalty on 3rd and 20.

The Northwestern game was a terrible loss, and I said as much after that game. The coaches deserve a lot of blame for that loss. However, at some point the players on the field need to make a play to win the game. That didn’t happen either.

• Plus1 1
Just now, ColoradoHusk said:

Yep, Frost coached his team to have the starting QB get injured against CU, and to have the starting safety deliver a personal foul penalty on 3rd and 20.

The Northwestern game was a terrible loss, and I said as much after that game. The coaches deserve a lot of blame for that loss. However, at some point the players on the field need to make a play to win the game. That didn’t happen either.

So is Frost not culpable at all?  I think you are overexaggerating my point that I'm not to the point of trusting Frosts' late game decision making and THAT DOESN'T MEAN I DON'T THINK HE'S A GOOD COACH.  He doesn't seem to have any consistency with his play calling in these situations and this is why I don't necessarily trust his ability to do the right thing.  In the Colorado game, he needed to eat clock but went uptempo.  Can't exactly remember the Troy game, but it was the opposite.  Northwestern was a coaching  brain fart.  Today I really can't fault, it just didn't work out, but at some point even with a random coin flop, you need to do better than 0-4. 

• Plus1 1

28 minutes ago, krc1995 said:

So is Frost not culpable at all?  I think you are overexaggerating my point that I'm not to the point of trusting Frosts' late game decision making and THAT DOESN'T MEAN I DON'T THINK HE'S A GOOD COACH.  He doesn't seem to have any consistency with his play calling in these situations and this is why I don't necessarily trust his ability to do the right thing.  In the Colorado game, he needed to eat clock but went uptempo.  Can't exactly remember the Troy game, but it was the opposite.  Northwestern was a coaching  brain fart.  Today I really can't fault, it just didn't work out, but at some point even with a random coin flop, you need to do better than 0-4. 

Yes, losing close games are frustrating. But, it’s almost like you are blaming Frost and the staff more for losing a game by 6 against Ohio State, even when they were 17 point underdog.  Don’t Frost, the staff, and the players get credit for making it a close game, even when most people expected a blowout loss? Maybe you are the exception, because you even posted that you “expect Nebraska to win every game”. I am a super homer for NU, and even I don’t expect NU to win every game. Do I hope they win every game, sure. I think they have a shot to win almost every game. But I don’t go in “expecting” NU to win every game. Those don’t seem like very healthy or realistic expectations. 

• Plus1 1

What happened to "I'll be happy if we compete hard this season"? Everyone talking prior to the season said the record doesn't matter, they just wanted to see a tough football team. Guess what, this team has kept improving, and they are playing with fire out there. Isn't this what we wanted? We lose sight so quickly. We are headed in the right direction. It sucks we lost, it really does, but we will get right back to work. We will learn from this and be that much better next week. Frost has this team getting better day by day and at this point that is all we can ask for.

We had this game in control at the half despite some boneheaded plays. In the 2nd half the defense stepped up, and the offense slowed. I big part of it was dropped passes, but Washington was hurt, Oz got hurt, and it seemed like Speilman was less than 100%. I also thought I saw a brace on AM's leg again. This team is not deep enough to absorb injuries. I am hoping for a monster recruiting class. Not necessarily all 4* and 5* either. I want athletic linemen and speed. For the secondary and offensive skill positions, I think we will dominate if we get really fast, quick players, even if they are small.

Well, I missed the game again today.  Too much work.  But some of you really need to go back and read your comments when Coach Frost was hired.

I am so used to getting stomped by the likes of Ohio State, not only by Riley, but Pelini gave up a few to them if I remember correctly.  

We played a team that was favored to kick our a$$ on their home field. A history rich program that normally wins and is still in the hunt for a playoff shot.  I don't recall Nebraska looking like they should be on the same field with that level of team for maybe 10 years.  No not happy we lost, but very happy I don't have to listen to stomped your head in the mud crap either.  

Takes time, we played a pretty good game today, possibly should have won.  I don't think we saw Ohio State's A game today.  I think we played well enough to get Iowa's attention.  Win or lose, it sure sounded a lot better than Ohio State scores again, time after time after time after time.

• Plus1 1
44 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Yes, losing close games are frustrating. But, it’s almost like you are blaming Frost and the staff more for losing a game by 6 against Ohio State, even when they were 17 point underdog.  Don’t Frost, the staff, and the players get credit for making it a close game, even when most people expected a blowout loss? Maybe you are the exception, because you even posted that you “expect Nebraska to win every game”. I am a super homer for NU, and even I don’t expect NU to win every game. Do I hope they win every game, sure. I think they have a shot to win almost every game. But I don’t go in “expecting” NU to win every game. Those don’t seem like very healthy or realistic expectations. 

I guess I see it different.  I do expect them to win every game they play, and when they don't, I try to figure out why they didn't. I wouldn't be a Husker fan anymore if I turned on the tv and said to myself "Self, I just hope we don't get embarrassed today"  or "Self, I hope everyone does the best they can"  I don't care about the spread or the opponent at all. I am not blind.  Today's team is not the same team that played Colorado or even Michigan, they're much better, but they are still not good enough- yet. I don't blame Frost at all-and in fact his discipline in coaching is starting to show- but just like the Nebraska team that played Colorado is not the same one that played Ohio State today, Coach Frost is not the same coach- he's evolved too. But I do find that I don't trust his decisions in the last few minutes of a game because he hasn't had much success in those situations- and in fact- he's had no success- yet.  He's a warrior, he'll figure it out and until he does. I'm going to be skeptical of the last few minutes of close games.  

Just now, skersfan said:

Well, I missed the game again today.  Too much work.  But some of you really need to go back and read your comments when Coach Frost was hired.

I am so used to getting stomped by the likes of Ohio State, not only by Riley, but Pelini gave up a few to them if I remember correctly.  

We played a team that was favored to kick our a$$ on their home field. A history rich program that normally wins and is still in the hunt for a playoff shot.  I don't recall Nebraska looking like they should be on the same field with that level of team for maybe 10 years.  No not happy we lost, but very happy I don't have to listen to stomped your head in the mud crap either.  

Takes time, we played a pretty good game today, possibly should have won.  I don't think we saw Ohio State's A game today.  I think we played well enough to get Iowa's attention.  Win or lose, it sure sounded a lot better than Ohio State scores again, time after time after time after time.

Correct. We were only dominated once this year, by Michigan. Today Penn State din't look any better than Nebraska did against Michigan. Since SE took over, we were curb stomped several times per year.