What did we learn: Ohio State

Branno

Just now, krc1995 said:

Sure- How much?  LOL  great clip 

Just go to the woodshed to see how many people have muted me. My mate that I play golf with posted a bunch of my old post when we hired Mr. Rogers how bad things would get that got me reported. Thanks though. He brought me back I blame him. There was a small (not really small) campaign to have me banned. BTW you are North Korea oh s#!t I am banned now.

• Fire 1
3 hours ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Ohio State was not taking NU seriously

I sort of wonder how things might have been different if Ohio State had only had 1 week to prepare instead of two. Anybody have any stats on how teams tend to fare coming off of a bye week vs when they're not?

1 hour ago, KazLong said:

I feel like I am muted by the whole board versus a few years ago when I was a hard core Pelini supporter then a full blown from the hire Riley hater...

Does anyone want an argument? 

55 minutes ago, krc1995 said:

Sure- How much?  LOL  great clip 

Does anyone else see these empty posts by anonymous users? Is the board glitching? It's like there are supposed to be posts there, but they aren't by anybody, and they don't contain anything. Hmmm. Weird! Spooky!

• Plus1 1
4 minutes ago, Toe said:

I sort of wonder how things might have been different if Ohio State had only had 1 week to prepare instead of two. Anybody have any stats on how teams tend to fare coming off of a bye week vs when they're not?

Ohio St has a tremendous record coming off a bye, though not significantly different than any other week for them.

5 hours ago, KazLong said:

Just go to the woodshed to see how many people have muted me. My mate that I play golf with posted a bunch of my old post when we hired Mr. Rogers how bad things would get that got me reported. Thanks though. He brought me back I blame him. There was a small (not really small) campaign to have me banned. BTW you are North Korea oh s#!t I am banned now.

41B75442-A49D-4E2E-899B-EE5FE0FB5500.jpeg

• Plus1 2
5 hours ago, krc1995 said:

I guess I see it different.  I do expect them to win every game they play, and when they don't, I try to figure out why they didn't. I wouldn't be a Husker fan anymore if I turned on the tv and said to myself "Self, I just hope we don't get embarrassed today"  or "Self, I hope everyone does the best they can"  I don't care about the spread or the opponent at all. I am not blind.  Today's team is not the same team that played Colorado or even Michigan, they're much better, but they are still not good enough- yet. I don't blame Frost at all-and in fact his discipline in coaching is starting to show- but just like the Nebraska team that played Colorado is not the same one that played Ohio State today, Coach Frost is not the same coach- he's evolved too. But I do find that I don't trust his decisions in the last few minutes of a game because he hasn't had much success in those situations- and in fact- he's had no success- yet.  He's a warrior, he'll figure it out and until he does. I'm going to be skeptical of the last few minutes of close games.  

Fine, Frost and coaches may have made decisions in the last few minutes of the Colorado and Northwestern games which cost NU those games. But, the players also failed to make plays and made mistakes which cost NU those games. But, for today, you seem hell bent on putting blame on the coaches for a close loss to a far superior talented team. Plus, I don’t see where Frost made any mistakes “managing the game”.  Coaches have to try different things when they don’t have the talent to match up on the other side. If you think NU can match up with Ohio State on talent right now, then I think you are impossible to reason with. 

The defense showed flashes but still not very good

Jovan Dewitt needs to remove himself from ST coaching duties.  And then the next coach needs to teach the players BASIC Special Teams play before doing anything else.

Offense sputtered several times when they had OSU on the ropes.  Which is unfortunate.

We won the turnover and penalty battle.  Which is really something considering who we were playing.

Overall it was a good game. Still so far to go.  Especially on defense.  It might be 3 more years before we see anything championship worthy from them.

• Plus1 1

Martinez will be a Heisman candidate before he graduates.  

Frost's intensity is finally streaming down, which leads to more confidence.  We did not look like a FBS team against OSU the last few years.  We were one score from beating them at their place and we gave away touchdowns on both sides of the ball. 

We can run the football!  Creative play calling is born from setting the defense box to stop the run and Martinez does a nice job on fakes where he pulls up and throws to very talented wideouts. 

Our defense can play well enough at times, but we still give up big plays from not only being out of position, but poor tacking.  This was less the case yesterday, which is progress. 

Special teams is exhausting and a bigger part of the game when you see what happens during poor execution. 

Brady Quinn did not get into Notre Dame due to his academics.  

I think we learned that Caleb doesn’t have the onside kick down like a scholarship player should. Wonder if he has anything to do next season, save for riding pine (or painted steel) if we’re picking up a kicker? :dunno

No, Caleb isn’t the only problem with special teams. But he has been one of the most consistent problems all season. And after he was replaced, punting was substantially better. 

Also, in the interest of not being wholly negative, I learned that I started getting pissed again when my daughters’ sports conflict with gametime. Been a few years since I felt that...

9 hours ago, krc1995 said:

So is Frost not culpable at all?  I think you are overexaggerating my point that I'm not to the point of trusting Frosts' late game decision making and THAT DOESN'T MEAN I DON'T THINK HE'S A GOOD COACH.  He doesn't seem to have any consistency with his play calling in these situations and this is why I don't necessarily trust his ability to do the right thing.  In the Colorado game, he needed to eat clock but went uptempo.  Can't exactly remember the Troy game, but it was the opposite.  Northwestern was a coaching  brain fart.  Today I really can't fault, it just didn't work out, but at some point even with a random coin flop, you need to do better than 0-4. 

I think you’re misunderstanding the random part of random coin flip.  I understand that in hindsight  his decisions can be criticized,  but, imo, he had method and justification for calling them exactly as he did.  Freak meltdowns by the inferior team left him on the wrong side of the coin flip each time